What happens after 1 year?

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Upgrade and Installation' started by maybe, Aug 13, 2015.

1. maybe

maybe Well-Known Member

What happens 1 year after the free Windows 10 update?

Do you then need to pay to keep using it?

2. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

As far as I can tell from what all I have been reading the answer is no. Any future updates I am not sure about that.

3. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Sonny's right, Windows 10 is yours (as long as you got it the legal way ;) ) but Microsoft have made it known that future 'updates', usually meaning additions to the os, will cost money. This is supposed to replace the cycle of new os every 3yrs..

4. maybe

maybe Well-Known Member

Thanks. That's why I asked. I had read something like that and thought to check.

There may be some unhappy customers when they discover this with no way to go back. I'm staying with my windows 7 and 8.1. Not crazy about the WX privacy issues either.

5. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I also go along with the concept of having to pay for upgrades after the first year.

I just don't think Microsoft has committed to any specific process yet. If the first year goes as they hope, and they are able to develop revenue streams from the OS, that may have an impact on what happens after that first year. Signing a User Agreement chang to allow for an upgrade would not be unexpected, as they have done in the past.

maybe likes this.