Windows 10 What Is It With Script Errors Showing Up In WIN10

Here it is, "suppose" to me the greatest new modern Operating System on the market....Windows 10, and I get bombbarded with Script Errors. I'm running Internet Explorer 11 both on the HP desktop with WIN 10 Home and the other HP desktop with WIN 10 Pro. These script errors seem to re-appear from the old Windows 98 operating system. I've done it all trying to delete and reinstall Internet Explorer to go.

Does Microsoft think we love these script errors and enjoy how they have worked long hours bringing them to our computer.

Please post a screenshot. The script errors are most likely from website. IE does have a javascript engine to process them but if the scripts are broken then you get errors.

Hi,
When IE11 gives script errors on multiple websites, that's often an indicator that your W10 is not working correctly and it needs servicing. Generally it's due to some type of Windows corruption or from a virus/malware infection. IE11 is part of the kernel OS in W10 now, and cannot be uninstalled/reinstalled as in XP-VISTA.

It's best to run your installed antivirus scanner, and then download free MALWAREBYTES from Malwarebytes.org and scan with that to find/remove spyware viruses. Reboot and retest.

If problem persists, BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA PRIOR TO PROCEEDING WITH ANY FURTHER REPAIRS TO WINDOWS!!! and then try:

(1.) Open a CMD window with Administrative rights, type: CHKDSK C: /F
(2.) When complete, exit CMD window; reboot PC and retest.
(3.) Reopen CMD window with Admin rights, type: SFC /SCANNOW;run to completion. If SFC returns no errors, EXIT CMD window; reboot PC and retest.
(4.) Attempt Windows in-place upgrade repair from W10 boot disc or usb stick.
(5.) Attempt Windows Reset from FACTORY RECOVERY MEDIA (DVD or USB stick). Reboot PC and retest.
(6.) Attempt Windows Reinstallation from FACTORY RECOVERY MEDIA (DVD or USB stick) or FACTORY RECOVERY FROM BUILT IN HARD DRIVE PARTITION.

Above method works about 80%-90% of the time assuming you have no hardware failures such as bad Hard Drive, RAM stick, or Mobo.:fdance: If you need help with hardware testing, post back and we can provide you with links to step-by-step hardware testing you'll then need.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
Hi How about trying reset and see if that helps!
To reset Internet Explorer settings
  1. Close all Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
  2. Reopen Internet Explorer.
  3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet options.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. ...
  5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
More items...

Gary,
OP posted this: "... I've done it all trying to delete and reinstall Internet Explorer to go."
so according to him, he's tried that already. But who can know what "...done it all" can mean. Perhaps he's done all he knows to do, and that not producing positive results led him to our forum here!

Beenthere: I'd try holdum's procedure before mine. But, it's still a really really good idea to BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING REPAIRS! I said this in my post above, but I'll repeat it. Image Backups are the best.
We like and recommend Macrium Reflect free for that. Screwing around with IE11 often renders your computer unbootable, and in severe cases causes irretrievable data loss!!:eek::hide:
Holdum's procedure is good, and is innocuous, but since you're attempting to run repairs on the Windows OS kernel. even that can produce catastrophic results!!
Just fyi,

<<<BBJ>>>

Sorry, to be later in replying to your messages and requests. So, yes I have done the Reset Internet Explorer so many times, I've got it memorized on how to perform it.
Now, let me push this to you. I have three computers, one with Windows 10 Home, one with Windows 10 Pro, and one with Windows 7 Home.
All three have started these script errors since I have upgraded to WIN 10. The oldest PC with Windows 7 Home didn't have any scrip errors till the other two was converted to WIN10. I think there is a deaese going around in Microsoft Operating Systems called a virus and it's effecting all my computers. My wife's Dell Laptop with WIN 10 Home so far don't have the scritp errors....yet.

Hi @BIGBEARJEDI Thanks for your support my friend. All excellent suggestions in both your replies as always.:worship:
I've posted suggestions that I know would take several minutes; if not hours, and had the OP come back in seconds saying they already tried all those things;). Internet Explorer doesn't like users trying to uninstall it.:hide:That could very well be the OP's problem, and your warnings about that are justified my friend. Team work is good;)BBJ
There's a very good video in the link I attached in reply #2 about this issue

Hi Been there! It's OK if you're a little late with your reply, but could you attach some screen shots as requested by @Neemobeer in post #3
They may be helpful for the techs to help you with your issue.;):)
Also @BIGBEARJEDI has posted some great suggestions for you to try!

Been There,

You may have a virus in your wifi router.:eek: Take a look at my Post here:
USB unrecognized on windows 8.1
Check out POST #30.

This is amazingly well-written Post <grin>!:applaud: If you indeed do have a router virus (and they are still quite rare), this will help you fix it!:up: If you still get no love, you may need to completely wipe the hard drives of ALL computers along with in-place upgrade repairs or Windows Resets currently connecting in your home to the Internet through that router as mentioned in my procedure (SEE LINK ABOVE)to resolve your problem. Sorry!:(

Best of luck,
<<<BBJ>>>

I call Cox Communitations who has my IP Internet Service, and they mentioned they "have had" the Zeus Virus and wanted to reset my Modem-Router. They also mentioned this Zeus virus is very bad and deadly on computers. I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running and it didn't detect any such virus. Cox reset the Modem-Router and not a single script error has shown up on all three computers. The two PC's with WIN 10 has Windows Defender downloaded and it came with the upgrade. I don't think the reset had anything to do with the script errors occurring.

UPDATE: When I clicked 'Post Reply" just now, I got a script error. I failed to make a copy of the script error.

It sounds like the "Zeus" virus or whichever one you got loose on your network may have secretly copied itself to one or more of your other computers commonly connected through your router. This happens quite frequently, and many of my Clients who've had this usually give up after they spend hours or even all day on the phone with their ISP tech resetting the router only to get it immediately infected again right after the reset because they left 2 or more computers connected to the modem-router when they performed the reset.

How many computers did you have connected to the router when you did your reset? The correct answer should have been "1" and only "1".
Did you remember to check for and install updates to both your AV and to Malwarebytes prior to the reset on all computers?

Is your Modem-router one single box (combines both Modem & router functions), or is it 2 boxes, such as 1 box for the Modem function (usually supplied by the ISP, in this case the Cox box), or do you have 2 boxes; 1 Modem box and another Router box (such as Cisco/Linksys or Netgear)??

The correct procedure here is that if you have 2 separate boxes, is to first remove the Router box cable from the back of the Modem box, and plug in only 1 computer there; repeat the Modem reset procedure. Then immediately re-scan that 1 computer with your AV and Malwarebytes. Run that computer for at least 48 hrs. without changing your setup, check for any script errors. If none are found, you can assume the reset of the Modem box and virus scan/removal was successful,:fdance: and hook up Router back to the Modem box and reconnect your other computers 1 at a time, repeating the AV & Malwarebytes updates check and scan on each machine, checking for script errors again. If none are found, you have then eliminated the virus!:up:

If you have a combo Modem-router box (which it sounds like you might have), then the procedure is almost the same; you should remove all of your computers except the Main computer you use to communicate with the combo box. If you can connect into the Combo box's Admin utility, you should temporarily disable WIRELESS RADIO on that Combo box*. Check for updates on your AV and Malwarebytes once more on that computer, disconnect it from the Modem-router combo box, and reset it per Cox's instructions from the other day. Then reconnect the same computer you just had, and re-run your AV and Malwarebytes scans once more. Test that 1 computer for 48 hrs. again, browse to various websites, check your E-mail, etc. If no script errors are found, then you've removed the virus from the Combo box and that 1 computer. At this point, you can then reconnect your Router to the Combo box, and hook a 2nd computer to your Router and scan that machine, and retest. You'll have to repeat that procedure for each additional computer you re-connect via hard-wire Ethernet cable to the Router to make sure you've removed the virus from each subsequent computer. This should eliminate the virus from your network!:fdance:

*This is a lot of work I know, but it's important to have the WIRELESS RADIO off in your Combo box (Modem-router) when you attempt this part of the repair, as if you have wireless devices such as laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc. turned on in your home they can receive a copy of the virus as soon as you reset your Combo box! And then the virus can re-transmit copies of the virus back to the Combo box you just reset, and the Combo box then copies the virus back out to all wirelessly connected devices attached to the Combo box before you know it--you're reinfected; this all can happen in seconds.:eek: That's why it's important to disable it. And, not all people are running AV software on their tablets or phones. Most laptops have AV either built in or 3rd party, so they are not at risk as long as the AV software is updated and running. It's the tablets and smartphones that are at risk. I run Avast on my phones and tablets to prevent this.

Troubleshooting this way, you isolate the virus to hard-wired connected devices only, and remove them 1 device at a time. Then, once the symptom of the script error is removed from play on your hard-wired devices, you can proceed to re-enabling the wireless part of your network and reconnect wifi devices 1 at a time, repeating the AV update and scan procedure for each wifi device and testing. If you do all of this on the wireless network and no other devices begin showing script errors again, you've then removed the virus from the wireless as well as wired portions of your home network and you should be fixed!

I've fixed a few of these, and since some of these viruses are transmitted to PCs and laptops via use of a Rootkit or Bootkit, you have to use separate programs to detect/remove these, you may have to download these tools (TrendMicro RootKitBuster for example), and repeat the whole process again from the beginning. While you are running the first portion of the removal process on the wired-only computers, if the virus comes back and script errors reappear on any connected computers or subsequently connected computers, you may have to erase the hard drive and completely reinstall the OS on each connected computer that shows it's been infected or re-infected. *ENSURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA FOR EACH COMPUTER YOU HAVE TO WIPE AND PERFORM A WINDOWS REINSTALL ON PRIOR!"* as mentioned in POST #6. This is the "Big-Hammer" solution, and only to be used as a last resort. If you have 3 or more computers (desktops, laptops), this could take you weeks to achieve unfortunately. If you follow my advice here, you may be able to remove the virus from your network without having to reinstall Windows on all your machines--but, don't count on it. Router viruses are extremely difficult to remove from home networks and even more difficult on business or corporate networks. And they usually take an expert in networking to do so.

Hope this helps you.
Best of luck,
<<<BBJ>>>

Well!, it taken some time to figure out why I'm getting so many script errors. These three computer have Google Toolbars as download. I decided to delete the Google Toolbar on one (WIN10 Home) and the script errors ceased. Waited a few days to see if they would reappear and so far no script errors have popped up. Deleted the Google Toolbar on the other two computers and they ceased from any script errors. So, it appears the culprit is the Google Toolbar downloads.

Hi again Been There;
That's really Good you solved it! :up: Just a couple of questions as I'm curious. Did you ever try my procedure for resetting your Router? Also, I'm wondering how you installed Google Toolbar on a W10 machine.:zoned: On all the machines I've installed W10 on in the last year (probably a dozen installs and upgrades) I've never been able to install Google Toolbar at all. Did you download the Google Toolbar directory from Google or another site?
Generally speaking in earlier Versions of Windows, Google Toolbar went in 98% of the time when installed as an add on to Adobe Reader or Adobe ReaderDC directly from Adobe website. Reason I'm asking is, that I've downloaded Google Toolbar from other sites before on earlier Windows versions, including directly from Google and I've gotten script errors as you have reported.o_O However, I never have gotten script errors when downloading directly from the Adobe site. I have tested this app very thoroughly and it is safe from issues. Perhaps, the copy of Google Toolbar you got was simply corrupted or a poor copy?:shocked:

**For other Users reading this thread; it's worth noting that Google Toolbar is the only toolbar out there (and I've seen hundreds of them) that does not come with a Trojan Horse's worth of spyware viruses, tracking your movements on the web and reporting back to 3rd party website which then sells that information to various marketing companies of questionable virtue.**

Cheers!
BBJ :brew:

Wow great post and great solve. We often preach about never using any toolbars because they hang in front of the browser and as a result are impossible to protect from Malware but this is the first time I have ever seen a direct result like you have shown. Sorry you had the issue thanks for informative solution!

Hi again Been There;
That's really Good you solved it! :up: Just a couple of questions as I'm curious. Did you ever try my procedure for resetting your Router? Also, I'm wondering how you installed Google Toolbar on a W10 machine.:zoned: On all the machines I've installed W10 on in the last year (probably a dozen installs and upgrades) I've never been able to install Google Toolbar at all. Did you download the Google Toolbar directory from Google or another site?
Generally speaking in earlier Versions of Windows, Google Toolbar went in 98% of the time when installed as an add on to Adobe Reader or Adobe ReaderDC directly from Adobe website. Reason I'm asking is, that I've downloaded Google Toolbar from other sites before on earlier Windows versions, including directly from Google and I've gotten script errors as you have reported.o_O However, I never have gotten script errors when downloading directly from the Adobe site. I have tested this app very thoroughly and it is safe from issues. Perhaps, the copy of Google Toolbar you got was simply corrupted or a poor copy?:shocked:

**For other Users reading this thread; it's worth noting that Google Toolbar is the only toolbar out there (and I've seen hundreds of them) that does not come with a Trojan Horse's worth of spyware viruses, tracking your movements on the web and reporting back to 3rd party website which then sells that information to various marketing companies of questionable virtue.**

Cheers!
BBJ :brew:

BIGBEARjEDI, I removed the router that was running the three computers...plus the wife's Dell Laptop, and used another one that I had here for back-up. I didn't find any difference removing the one and add the other router. So, I don't think the router situation was the problem, although, Cox Communication thought so and did the reset.
As for how I installed the Google Toolbar on WIN10 Home, and WIN10 Pro. I just downloaded the toolbar from the Google website. On their Google website it shows there is a Google Toolbar for Windows 10.

Just for thought. I re-installed (downloaded) Google Toolbar on my HP Pavilion p6750f desktop with Windows 7 Home, and so far no script errors have shown up. So, this may prove that Windows 10 cannot handle the Google Toolbar download.

Back