Windows 7 What Will Happen When the Beta End ???

You will have to either restore the backup you (should have) made prior to installing W7, or reinstall everything.
You will lose all your work only if you don't back up the files first.

oh no... you'll be beached as bro

nah I think whats going to happen is your OS will nag at you with constant warnings and most of the features will become locked, no aero etc. make sure you back all your files and things up though

What a read from a reputable source could happen is the rc1 free test would come out next before it becomes public.

When the Beta expires all that will happen is (as stated above) nagging warnings will start popping up about how "your copy of windows is not activated"... perhaps some limited functionality... things like that. Your computer isn't going to suddenly "break" or stop working alltogether. Ya just have to remember that it's just a BETA. meaning it shouldn't be used as a substitute for a full versioned OS.... ;) Especially if your not familiar with Beta software.. And please remember to back up your personal files before it expires on the off chance that something happens to them. (It's better to be safe than sorry so they say... ) As far as the RC and RTM being open to the general public.. unfortunately it's not going to happen... I really don't think people should get to upset about that considering MS was nice enough to give anyone who wanted it a copy of the BETA which as we all know now is extremely useable, rock solid and VERY compatible.. :) I think that was a very nice thing for Microsoft to do all things considered... And as someone previously stated, at the rate things are moving with Win 7 I don't think it will be long before we see the RTM.. ;)

I don't believe you will be that lucky(?) It has been the same with all Betas. It will work until the next restart on or after August 9th. When you turn on, Windows will start.,A message will pop-up saying that your time has expired and it will reboot (setting it in a loop). If you are constantly using Windows 7, keep backing up your private information somewhere safe.

"Buy ,Cry, or Die'.

Answe to me is pretty obvious -- Windows 7 Retail versions when released, or Migrate back to previous OS (You Did take a Backup didn't you'.

Cheers
jimbo

I made the mistake of making Win 7 beta my main OS and ended up doing a full recovery(out of the box). Yes I made a back up and it took some time to do it. I liked what I saw and tested Win7 so now I am safely back to Vista Premium and viewing Win 7 Forum to keep up to date on others with their problems and tips. When the release comes out I will wait and see the cost of the differernt versions and how it is working before I put out cash for the program.

OK, am I the only one with a copy of the beta that expires on July 2nd? Everyone else seems to have one that expires in August. :confused:

July 1st actually...and yes, I am using 7000 that I downloaded from MS.

winver.jpg

Hi there again
Have you "Activated" it yet with a proper key (search on the forum for the correct key - there's only a few for X-32 and X64).

To check the actual expiry date you need to run the following command

1. Click Start and search for cmd. Right-click the cmd icon and select “Run As Administratorâ€Â￾.
2. Run the following command,
C:\Windows\system32>cscript %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs -dlv
This should show you the REAL expiry date
license actually expires in August (02.09.2009 on mine) .

The About Windows has an Error in it.

I checked by changing the BIOS date on my computer and re-booting -- works fine on Jul 4th 2009.

If you mess around with the Bios date take an image BEFORE you change the date as you'll need to restore it again when you re-set the date back again.

Cheers

jimbo
Cheers
jimbo

Is there a way to get rid of the expiry date? or extend it?

I have a beta key for the windows 7 beta, but it says its going to expire in July (I typed in "winver" and thats what it showed me) Is there a program that I can use to extend the time?

Back