Windows 7 What would you like to see in Windows 7 SP1?

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
This thread is for thoughts only, it's highly unlikely any of these features/changes will be implemented

So what do you want to see in service pack 1? Is there anything you'd like to see changed, added, removed, improved?

I personally don't have a contribution to my own thread right now :D

Hi

I still don't understand the search engine in Windows 7.
Yesterday I was trying to figure out where I had stored an .avi file.

I typed * in the title pane and .avi in the extension pane.
I had my D: drive selected.

I told my that it didn't find any .avi files.
Even when I found the folder and the file it kept telling me there were no .avi files.

I have run into this with some other file types as well. I just don't get it.

I would like to see search open from the right click drop-down menu and open an updated search window.

Mike

The possibility to connect a computer that has one internet connection and one LAN to let's say to your laptop separately and share files without having to deal with the fact that "homegroup" doesn't work with 2 network connections or more (See internal windows message). And without having to struggle forcing that connection into "home" or "work" mode instead of public which is default for a direct cross-over cable connection between 2 PC's ( See windows help pages on-line ).

All of the above and
Please put the sharing hand back on folders that I have shared. It was a nice little indicator to show at a glance which folders were shared. Now you actually have to select each folder in order to see the share information at the bottom. What a pain.
But you're probably right, I suspect SP1 will probably be just a roll up, with very few feature enhancements at all.

I too believe that SP1 will be basically just a roll up of all the updates with few enhancements. Windows 7 is basically pretty good right out of the box, so further enhancement will probably be few and far between.

Although it would be nice to see one where I could get the Power Ball Lotto numbers! JK!

I want a way to run Outlook Express 6 in Windows 7 Ultimate 64.
I've found a way to run Windows Mail, from Vista, but I like O.E. even better. It's just so darn user friendly!!!!

Oh, I too think the new 'search' sux! I've taken to just using the DOS Dir command from a command prompt.
Thank God, DOS commands still work in Win-7 !!!

I would expect the same thing, a bag full of updates.
There is a possibilty Microsoft will give out features, like to unlock special features.. I haven't thought of any though.
Like anyone says, I highly doubt it..
But anyways i want better Aero Integration such as making all of your programs see through and the option to disable it individually.
Just a thought =D

A UAC "Whitelist" .... Users should only have to verify a program once... not every time they run it. Common sense says that if it was OK to use last time, it's OK to use this time... why do we have to keep re-affirming this?

Think about a major corporation, average 3 to 5 seconds lost on each program launch, thousands of computers in use... How many millions will it cost them over the lifetime of the systems?

Mike... click on your open desktop... press F3... in the search bar type *.avi ... should find them all. I just did it and came up with over 400 of the little beggers....

There are two things I would like to see in SP1. First, a central easy to use location for "Permissions". I have a desktop and a laptop computer both with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. All permissions and network settings (that I can find or know about) on both are identical as compared side by side. Still I can only transfer data and files in one direction. The other direction says I do not have permission. Since I also have two XP machines on the network, I cannot use Homegroup. When I transfer files from one computer to the next, I want to see the "tree" with my directories, not libraries, pictures etc.

Second, I would like to have access to ALL my memory. My laptop has 8 GB RAM, and 1 GB videoRAM (that's 9 GB total) and yet I only have 6.5 GB available memory in System Information. What is using 2.5 GB of my memory?

The possibility to connect a computer that has one internet connection and one LAN to let's say to your laptop separately and share files without having to deal with the fact that "homegroup" doesn't work with 2 network connections or more (See internal windows message). And without having to struggle forcing that connection into "home" or "work" mode instead of public which is default for a direct cross-over cable connection between 2 PC's ( See windows help pages on-line ).

Google "Ad-Hoc Wireless"... it can be done.

A UAC "Whitelist" .... Users should only have to verify a program once... not every time they run it. Common sense says that if it was OK to use last time, it's OK to use this time... why do we have to keep re-affirming this?

Think about a major corporation, average 3 to 5 seconds lost on each program launch, thousands of computers in use... How many millions will it cost them over the lifetime of the systems?

I agree with this... too bad it didn't happen. Some programs like c cleaner I use a few times a day (paranoid) and it asks me for permission. It's gotten old.

I agree, and I use CCleaner 2 or 3 times a day as well. LOL

It does get old saying yes I want to run this program, why would I have clicked on it otherwise?

Here's the question, how does it decide which program to ask about?

It does't do this when I run Adobe Photoshop, but it does it every time I run High Logic Main Type!

It doesn't do it when I run Norton Ghost, but it does it when I run CCleaner, why?

Maybe if we knew we could make it stop.

Mike

I'm not familiar with norton ghost, but it seems that programs that can affect system files and the registry are on the get permission list. There is a link in the message box that will let you turn your security down or off entirely, but again, I'm too paranoid for that. This is meant to protect my pc from unauthorized remote use and other hacks/bots so I deal with it.

This thread is for thoughts only, it's highly unlikely any of these features/changes will be implemented

So what do you want to see in service pack 1? Is there anything you'd like to see changed, added, removed, improved?

I personally don't have a contribution to my own thread right now :D

I would love improved sound mixer, so it remembers the volume settings for different apps, and so I can redirect sound to different devices - e.g. a game to hdmi sound in my monitor, radio to my external speakers.

Yeah I'm to paranoid to turn off any of the security setting too!

I have two complete backups of my whole computer, both saved on each of two external hard drives, with two different boot disks plus a Ubuntu system disk that will access my computer if everything else fails.

The only thing I should do is take one of my external drives and dig a hole for it in the back yard in case my house burns down. LOL

It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to have the option "Trust this application in the future" added to the popup window!

Mike

My view on it is like this -

The very first thing I do with a new install of Windows is to go and disable the UAC entirely. UAC is completely a waste of time for users that are in good security practice otherwise, such as running Malwarebytes scan every so often and also have a decent antivirus installed (MSE, Kaspersky, Avira).

UAC is most helpful for perhaps the grandparents that have limited knowledge of pcs, or any other users that might fall into that category. Users reading this are very likely to be above that level, for sure.

I've been using different versions of ZoneAlarm for probably 10 years now without issue, on multiple machines. I currently use ZA Extreme and tweak it so the ForceField service is not started with Windows, which protects browsers. I have other means for protecting Firefox, such as the NoScript, RefContol, AdBlockPlus and BetterPrivacy plug-ins. And I too run Ccleaner all the time, which isn't necessary but I simply enjoy it lol.

The main thing with keeping something like ZA working well is to make sure it auto-updates its versions or you manually do so yourself from time to time.

If you don't run ZA and have any suspicions about network connections, you can open a command prompt and run this command:

netstat -anbo

XP Virtual machine updated to allow full use of real hardware, not limited to stupid onboard vga and sb16 emulation.

TorrentG said:
UAC is most helpful for perhaps the grandparents that have limited knowledge of pcs, or any other users that might fall into that category.

He he, lol, UAC confuses my grandparents a lot.

Highwayman said:
XP Virtual machine updated to allow full use of real hardware, not limited to stupid onboard vga and sb16 emulation.

Would be good, I'd second this. Should be like virtual box or vmware.

Back