Windows 8 What's the eye icon for?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

On the lock screen where you type in your password there are 2 icons at the end of the line.
One is a normal check mark icon and the other one that is just ahead of it is a eye icon.

What is the eye icon for, both of them log my in but when I did log in using the eye icon this morning it logged me into the metro screen instead of the desktop.

Maybe this was placed there by Classic Shell as a means of accessing the desktop?

I don't remember if it has always been like this or not.

Does everyone have both icons?

Mike

Hi

On the lock screen where you type in your password there are 2 icons at the end of the line.
One is a normal check mark icon and the other one that is just ahead of it is a eye icon.

What is the eye icon for, both of them log my in but when I did log in using the eye icon this morning it logged me into the metro screen instead of the desktop.

Maybe this was placed there by Classic Shell as a means of accessing the desktop?

I don't remember if it has always been like this or not.

Does everyone have both icons?

Mike

Hi Mike, I don't have both icons but I don't use the classic shell either. I think you are right that it might have been placed there by classic shell.

The 'Eye' symbol is to enable you to see what you typed in the password field. It's new in Windows 8 , you should find it on all the MS password boxes. If you want to see your password just keep it pressed.

Thanks guys.

Today it the first time I really thought about it.
It's a good idea, I actually wish that there was an option to allow you to see what you typed when you put in passwords.

There's no reason that people have to have it hidden on their computers in their own home.

At one time I had a document with all my passwords in it so I could copy and paste them into different applications.

Now I just keep my passwords simpler so I can remember them, but I still type them with the cap key on at times.
Then I can't figure out why it isn't working. LOL

I'm almost 75 it gets harder to remember all these passwords every year.

Mike

I haven't seen this "eye" icon either...can you post some screen shots of it. I'm just curious as to what it looks like.

When you get to the login page, enter your password, but do NOT enter. As soon as you start typing the password, the eye will show.

When you get to the login page, enter your password, but do NOT enter. As soon as you start typing the password, the eye will show.

Your right! I missed that at first. It does show and when I pressed on it my password showed.

Back