Windows 8 Whats this new replacement for bios and why?

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
When did computers start using this thing called ueifi I believe? Confusing to say the least and for me at least not that easy to get to. The only complaint as such I have with my new Sony laptop. I never can seem to remember which function key gets me there, and from what I have seen of it; I am not so sure I need to use it very often.

Most folks that are using a UEFI bios do not even know. About the only time it becomes relevant is during installs and repairs, at which times you need to know to boot into a UEFI version of the media.

There are many places that discuss UEFI, but mainly it will be used to help secure your system from unwanted boot replacements like rootkits. It can also be used to keep non-certified software from booting, so if you want to dual boot, and have Secure Boot, then you may not be able to.

I understand there may be problems dual booting but will you be able to boot from disks like a Linux Live CDs disks from things like Acronis True Image,partitioning tools, etc? Many of them run in a Linux type application if I understand right.
Joe

Joe,

From my experience, and this may be OEM specialized, a Windows 8 secure boot will ignore other boot media. For instance, Secure Boot requires a uEFI boot. If something is trying to boot that is not UEFI and certified, it will not be allowed to boot.

You are supposed to be able to turn off Secure Boot, if you so desire, and I can, the option is in the bios. I don't know if the link kemical provided discusses this, but for Windows 8, there is Secure Boot and Trusted Boot. I suppose one is during boot, and one is when starting the OS. Apple has been using this for a while, so if you only use Windows 8, it won't be a problem.

If it maybe helps to tell you I have been dual-booting Win8 & Win7 w/ no problem, at all. Nor have I had to do anything in the BIOS, at all.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Well I finally found out for sure how to get into my uefi on my Sony DVE15122CXW. Too bad they don't document it anywhere that I can find. It's the start button, plus, Fn key, plus F11 at boot. Though, I can now for sure understand why I am not likely to use it much. Though a dual boot system of some kind in the future sounds like a nice possibility.

Well done. assuming your motherboard has the uefi boot flashed, you should not, however, need to punch the Fn key? F11 (or whichever key the computer brand has designated!) should get you there. For those reading this thread, it should be pointed out that, particularly with older computers, the same key will merely take you into the normal Bios options.

Back
Top Bottom