Windows 7 When applications stop working

george3095

There's one application on my computer, Powerchute Personal Edition, that has not worked (rather, it "seems to be working") since it was installed on a new computer running Win7. Yes, its icon is displayed in the lower right corner of the screen (I forget the corner's name) and, I do receive notifications when the UPS (monitored by Powerchute) switches from commercial power to the internal battery, but I cannot open Powerchute or any of the any of the four functions it monitors. APC (who provides Powerchute) Tech Support, quit responding to my questions/complaints when they could not help. They suggested the 32-bit edition; the 64-bit edition; both refused to run. Windows (one would think) would have found a solution for the problem but only if the "stopped working" message is sent to Microsoft. Any solid ideas?

Thanks, Pat. No, I haven't. That's because the various versions of Powerchute I tried (following suggestions by APC Techies) were (presumably) written for Win7. Here's another quirk of Win7: there was a time I can remember when Outlook 2010 quit working; only happened once. I do not know if my problem is caused by Windows or by Powerchute; having said that, I'm inclined to think the problem is caused by Windows, since the only other "not working" instance was with Outlook.

It's not so much down to cause but compatibility. All major software authors have access to a full range of Windows systems to test compatibility during development. The primary responsibility lies with the software developer to test and fully advise clients of hardware, software compatibility/requirements and any known issues. I have quickly googled this issue and it seems there are many users having problems with the package and Windows 7 so it would not seem wise to presume compatibility - I would try installing in compatibility mode.

OK, Pat. you've convinced me because you've confirmed my problem is not unique. I'll do as you suggested and let you know how it goes.

Pat, I'm sorry to report that, installing Powerchute on my fully-updated Win7 in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP3, the version on my previous computer which ran Powerchute successfully, Powerchute exhibits the same refusal to run.

Back
Top Bottom