Windows 7 Where can I find the folder that holds the pinned Start menu shortcuts?

chrisjj

I.e. these shortcuts created by dragging shortcuts to the Start button:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I'd like to edit this list directly in Windows Explorer file view, rather than on the Start menu.

I do not with to use a toolbar instead.

Thanks.

You might try here. I know AppData is a hidden folder, so you will have to allow viewing those in Folder options, and if it happens to be a system file, you might need to allow that also.

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

Thanks. Odd that the folder shows most but not all of the menu entries e.g.:

plus the menu doesn't show a shortcut I add to the folder:

even after logon + logoff.

I don't think I would be able to track down your exact situation, unless I have the same options and you explain exactly what process you are using to add the shortcut.

There may be like folders under another user, such as a Default user, which could hold some of the entries. In my case, the games, like minesweeper, do not show up in the Pinned folder. Since that is a Windows Component, it may be handled differently.

> I don't think I would be able to track down your exact situation, unless I have the same options

The only Start Menu option I've changed is "[ ] Use large icons". Reverting it has no effect on the problem.

> and you explain exactly what process you are using to add the shortcut.

1) Put the mouse pointer over the desktop icon
2) Press and hold the primary mouse button
3) Move the pointer to the Start button
4) Release the mouse button.

> There may be like folders under another user, such as a Default user, which could hold some of the entries.

There's no Default user that I know of, but the there is of course the hidden Default profile - this too is missing the Recycle Bin shortcut, even though the Start menu (of the account Default was created from) is not.

> In my case, the games, like minesweeper, do not show up in the Pinned folder. Since that is a Windows Component, it may be handled differently.

Agreed. I think Recycle Bin must be the same.

Incidentally, though the Start menu doesn't show a shortcut I add to the folder, the folder does show a shortcut I add to the Start menu. Baffling :)

Back