Windows 8 Where do the Start Screen tiles and apps live in your computer?

Anna McCullough

Hi, all - I'm glad to have found this forum, it looks like I'll be hanging out here for quite a bit :) As a Windows 8 user of all of one week (but not a stranger to Windows in general), there's a lot of investigating to do and I'm reading as much as I can. I do have one question - Where on earth do all those tiles/apps actually reside in the system? Nothing I've read thus far has pointed me to a physical location or repository.
I've already removed/deleted/rearranged a bunch of them to tweak the Start screen more to my liking, but there have already been some tiles left over after deleting things via Add/Remove Programs. I know I can right-click the tile and get the bar with "uninstall", and have done so, but that's only gotten me more curious as to where these things live!

Thanks,
Anna McCullough

Anna, Welcome to the Forum.

Rather than uninstall (this actually uninstalls the app as well as the tile), just unpin the tile. This will keep the app in place and available from the All Apps screen. Any apps that have been uninstalled can be reinstalled from the store if you find you need them later.

You will also notice tiles for the Legacy apps you install on the desktop.

I do not know where the files are actually located. I would suspect somewhere in the system files. The normal Program Files you will find on the C Drive are the Legacy desktop apps you have installed. Sorry I can not help with that question.

Hello Anna,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 8 Forums,

The Windows 8 apps are actually a hidden file within C:/Program Files, then click on the "View" tab in the ribbon and check
"Hidden Items", then at the bottom of the program list you will see "Windows Apps" w/faded folder, double click on that, you'll be presented with a "permissions windows" click "continue", you will then be presented with "Access denied" window which you will have to click on "Change" and enter your name in the box and click on "Check Names",, your name will be corrected to the one you need to gain access, then click "Apply" and let it do it's thing, when completed just "OK" out of the 2 windows and you will be able to view all apps installed from the Windows Store.
There is a video on youtube that shows how to get there;

Hope this helps
Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks Don. I learned something new today.

Edit: Take Ownership works as well. Right Click on the Windows Apps folder and choose Take Ownership. It will take a while because each file has to be done, but it works. If you do not have Take Ownership in your right click context menu, How To Geek has an easy way to add it.

You may find it a little more difficult than that.

P.S. This cryptic line needs a short explanation?

I had started to say that the OP would need to take ownership, as she would not have been able to go into the folder, without. Unfortunately (for me- lol) , Ted posted the comment and solution at the same time. I stopped writing and thought I had deleted the message. Only today I have seen it - My apologies for the injection into the thread.

Don, Medicted60 - this is VERY cool, and exactly what I wanted to know; I never feel like I really understand an OS if I don't know where it PUTS things :)

I'm not a Windows newbie; I already knew about uninstalling vs. unpinning - but in my case, I really DID want to physically uninstall some of these things. I have zero need for WildTangent games and I have a pathological loathing for anything Norton's so I've ripped both of those out of my new Windows 8 laptop by the roots (registry entries and all, grin). That's what sparked the question - okay, where did I uninstall them FROM :)

The Wild Tangent and Norton stuff was probably on the Desktop UI. I always toss them as well. Recently I have been using AVG 2013 AV for my AV/AM needs. I was also pleased with Windows Defender.

Cool, thanks Don. I learned something new today.

Edit: Take Ownership works as well. Right Click on the Windows Apps folder and choose Take Ownership. It will take a while because each file has to be done, but it works. If you do not have Take Ownership in your right click context menu, How To Geek has an easy way to add it.

I had thought of that, but I have used that file before and sometimes it doesn't take ownership of all the files, however, I did find one that does;

This is the file for "Take Ownership"; View attachment TakeOwnership.zip

This the one I use "Grant Admin Full Control"; View attachment GrantAdminFullControl.zip , which also adds to the Right Click context.

Of course, anyone is welcome to use either one of these files.

Don

Yes, I use the GrantAdminFullControl, but I keep forgetting about it when the time is right to use it. Darn this old brain, darn!

I generally point to this location for GrantAdminFullControl. This does the same thing as Don's zip file.

Back