Windows 7 WHICH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 which don't cause BSOD???

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

Has the bug with AVG have been fixed for 64bit?
Currently I am using comodo, but it has a lot of false positives.

I'm using AVG Internet Security Suite for Win7 64bit... I do not have any bugs since I disabled the "accelerator". In my opinion, it's a waste of coding space and an issue for end users on a good product. Do know if that's what giving you the 'bug', but here's the instruction to disable the "accelerator". I highly recommend disabling the "accelerator".

Go to AVG Tools -> Advanced Settings -> LinkScanner -> Online Shield -> uncheck "Enable AVG Accelerator".

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

As was mentioned, there is no AV program that protects you 100%. That is why I recommend frequent imaging. At least you can easily bail yourself out of a tight spot.

I'm using AVG Internet Security Suite for Win7 64bit... I do not have any bugs since I disabled the "accelerator". In my opinion, it's a waste of coding space and an issue for end users on a good product. Do know if that's what giving you the 'bug', but here's the instruction to disable the "accelerator". I highly recommend disabling the "accelerator".

Go to AVG Tools -> Advanced Settings -> LinkScanner -> Online Shield -> uncheck "Enable AVG Accelerator".

I didnt say I was using AVG, I was being inquisitive about its current situation and was wondering if the issue it apparently has with win7 was fixed or not

2 things:

Thank you, thank you, thank you...it is SO nice to see this said! "It's not a Windows problem, it's a computer problem." And let's not forget to include 'driver' error.

As for not trusting direct products from MS & another 'client' "waiting in the wings"... The fact is MSE is excellent AND it was not initially a MS product. It came from, was created by & belonged to another company called Giant. MS was so impressed w/ it, they bought the company for the sake of the product or @ least what ultimately became MSE. Also, I'm sure you know not to have more than 1 A-V, @ the same time; more than 1 A-M is ok but, not A-V.

Cheers,
Drew

I didnt say I was using AVG, I was being inquisitive about its current situation and was wondering if the issue it apparently has with win7 was fixed or not

I am sorry, I got the impression you used AVG prior to using Commodo.

Anyhow... regards to the bug, I can only ascertain that it has something to do with the 'accelerator' portion of the program (still googling and 'bing'ing said bug). That's where most of my AVG bug/issue comes into play. I have yet to experience any slowdowns, program or firewall issues after disabling 'accelerator'.

2 things:

Thank you, thank you, thank you...it is SO nice to see this said! "It's not a Windows problem, it's a computer problem." And let's not forget to include 'driver' error.

As for not trusting direct products from MS & another 'client' "waiting in the wings"... The fact is MSE is excellent AND it was not initially a MS product. It came from, was created by & belonged to another company called Giant. MS was so impressed w/ it, they bought the company for the sake of the product or @ least what ultimately became MSE. Also, I'm sure you know not to have more than 1 A-V, @ the same time; more than 1 A-M is ok but, not A-V.

Cheers,
Drew
hey all i have gone back and forth with all free antivirus and most of it is good and does seem to do what they say BASIC PROTECTION but i am back with MSE seems to be the best for me. hell i hit alot of bad sites and it catches all sorts of things. it hasn't let me down. COMMON SENSE and MSE are a good choice. just my input, it's free and simple can't complain. poorguy

Exactly! Instead of spending time over issues w/ whatever (else), the point is, instead, just go w/ something that is very good AND problem-free; just a bonus it happens to be free.

Believe me, between personal use, experiences w/ my IT clients & a good bit of 'reading'... MSE is my recommendation.

If only common sense was more common (sigh).

Cheers,
Drew

Exactly! Instead of spending time over issues w/ whatever (else), the point is, instead, just go w/ something that is very good AND problem-free; just a bonus it happens to be free.

Believe me, between personal use, experiences w/ my IT clients & a good bit of 'reading'... MSE is my recommendation.

If only common sense was more common (sigh).

Cheers,
Drew
hey all, i guess my point is for me, i am one who has to try different things before i decide. like i said i have try several of the different free antivirus and some were pretty good and others i had some little issue with but they were and are ok and do what they say. i have to agree with you for the most MSE is damn hard to beat. i only wish that i had more choices on when i choose to scan, however that is not that big of a deal. wished i could find away to box and sell common sense. the world would be much better. MSE/SUPERANTISPYWARE FREE/COMMON SENSE you just can't go wrong. just my own experience. thanks poorguy

MSE is a good AV (most of the time) & has never caused a BSOD on me. Normally, I don't run the current version, but the preview one (MS has found a new term for "beta", it seems). I get it through invitation by Microsoft Connect, where users can sign up to try out new software.

Microsoft Products Accepting Bugs and Suggestions | Microsoft Connect

Sign in by using your Windows Live or Hotmail username & password.

Cat

MSE is a good AV (most of the time) & has never caused a BSOD on me. Normally, I don't run the current version, but the preview one (MS has found a new term for "beta", it seems). I get it through invitation by Microsoft Connect, where users can sign up to try out new software.

Microsoft Products Accepting Bugs and Suggestions | Microsoft Connect

Sign in by using your Windows Live or Hotmail username & password.

Cat
hey all, never had no BSOD from antivirus. only BSOD i believe that i ever had was from overclocking because i didn't know what i was doing. more like corrupted files than BSOD. any beta software that i have tried would sometimes stall or lock up or freeze, but a restart would always fix it for awhile and then they would come up with a patch and all was well. i have had minor issues with antivirus software as with any software. just kind of goes with it if it is new. anyway just my own experience, thanks for the space. poorguy

Immunet free & Sandboxie free should fit the bill.

Ralph, AVG & Win 7 has never co-existed well together, & it's well documented.

And it doesn't look like it will be fixed, either. I got a free copy of AVG IS 2012 with a wireless router that I bought either late last year or early this year, it's total garbage. After 2 to 3 days, I removed it, threw the whole program in the trash can, where it belonged in the 1st place. Caused my CPU to run at 90 to 100% most of the time.

Hope that this is the answer that you were looking for.

Cat

Microsoft Security Essentials does it all for free, I used Norton, AVG 2012, but if free is better why pay?

Microsoft Security Essentials does it all for free, I used Norton, AVG 2012, but if free is better why pay?
MSE is OK for a light user. But for heavy use, I prefer NIS2012. AVG is junk - and I don't want to repeat my sad story regarding AVG.

MSE is OK for a light user. But for heavy use, I prefer NIS2012. AVG is junk - and I don't want to repeat my sad story regarding AVG.

I used to like Norton, but looking back on the trouble I had uninstalling it in the past, paying them 20 or more every year nty, i dislike being a revenue stream unnecessarily. I agree with Elmer MSE is good stuff, made by Microsoft, makes sense. oh yeah, it's FREE :)

Yes, indeed, the logic of MSE is rather obvious.

It's embedded Windows8 & on, by default. Kind of a no-brainer

Drew

Not to mention is rebranded as Windows Defender in Windows 8, and unless it calls on you for a threat, you practically never see it. :) Great integration. I'll be interested to see if the EU has anti-trust problems with this closer to launch.

Yes, that is, also, true. It even keeps itself updated automatically and 'quietly'.

I kinda doubt it regarding EU. Cus, there is choice... one can use WD or (god knows why) install something else, instead.

Cheers,
Drew

For those currently interested in a cost-effective, paid anti-virus solution for total security, BitDefender is on a 70% off sale for a limited time only. The link above will lead you to the discount location. This was relayed to me by one of our affiliate partners, and the program was given a 6.0 by AV Comparatives.

The link above will lead you to the discount location
Hmm, I don't see a link.

Back