Windows 7 Why does "Windows Explorer Search" time-out/terminate after 60 seconds?

yeto

Honorable Member
I am running Windows 7. After "exactly 60 seconds", when I search using Windows Explorer search box, I get the following message: "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

How do I change search settings so that it will not terminate after 60 seconds? Would there be some type of log file somewhere that would tell me what is causing this problem?

To correct this problem I have tried the following. I did a clean boot even excluding windows programs and the problem was still there. I have installed all the latest Windows 7 updates. I also tried sfc /scannow and I turned off MS security software and firewall all to no avail.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for any help,
yeto

I have not seen a limitation on the search function before. Are you a programmer and use Visual C++? Have you installed any software that might be related? Have you run a virus check other than Microsoft Security Essentials? You might try Malwarebytes to see if it finds anything.

I don't know how this happened but under Windows Search Properties>Recovery>"Restart service after:" somehow was changed from 0 to 1. I changed it back to 0 and everything is now back to normal. Thanks to all who tried to help.

yeto

Back