Windows 7 Why you should say no to Windows 8 and stick with Windows 7.

UI= User Interface, which you don't seem to gasp & not unlike many (other) computer things.

As previously, already, suggested by another Forum Member, PLEASE, Forum Admin, throw this thread in the Watercooler. (Although, it's only borderline comedy, anymore)

Thanx, in advance.

Drew

There is nothing funny about being stuck with Windows 8.

It is easy to laugh now. But if Windows users were forced to go on Windows 8 because they stopped selling Windows 7, they won't be laughing for very long. And when they find that they won't be able to use it,most people including myself may have to give up using a computer. Because we won't be able to figure out how to use Windows 8.

So Windows 8 could be THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

We have got a good thing going with Windows 7. It is very user friendly and easy to use,if I can use it ,anybody can. And in addition to that you can run most of your Windows XP and Windows Vista software on Windows 7.As well as Windows 7 software.

And you have got a start menu and normal desktop.

Which is very important.

On Windows 8 you have not even got that.And you probably cannot run any software for Windows 2000,98,95,Windows XP and Windows Vista on Windows 8. And some people say you cannot even run most Windows 7 software on Windows 8.

But apart from that why should we use Windows 8 when we have got Windows 7? And Windows 7 has everything we want and more?

So the answer is to stay with Windows 7 for all eternity. And do not go on Windows 8. And as for me I will do everything I can to avoid being stuck with the dreaded Windows 8. Even if I do have to stock up on 20 or more laptops and lots of Windows 7 CDs. To avoid being stuck with Windows 8.

But there is one more problem. I don't know how to install operating systems. So maybe I won't be able to install Windows 7 on a Windows 8 computer with the Windows 7 CD.Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Because it's become a blind, ill-based rant as, it was (actually) @ the onset; & not open to (listening to) reality, accuracy or greater knowledge from good sources.

I think it will be difficult to convince our dear Andrea. She is on a religious OS path and as you know, religion cannot be argued.

When she first came here it was the same rant about Windows 7 sucking and XP was so much better.
Joe

When she first came here it was the same rant about Windows 7 sucking and XP was so much better.
Joe

No I never said that. I said I did not like Linux because it was hard to use. Remember last years thread about Linux?

And what I said about Windows XP was that it is faster than Windows 7 but only slightly faster. And a lot of software is already on Windows XP,but on Windows 7 you have to install it yourself.

But Windows 7 is very much like Windows XP in a lot of ways. Because you can run most Windows XP software on Windows 7,except for IE6 and IE7 which most people don't want anyway.

And you cannot run WMP 9 or 10 on Windows 7. But I saw a You Tube video that showed someone running WMP 9 on Windows 7. But he used a software called Resource Hacker and he got WMP 9 up and running on Windows 7.

But I cannot figure out how he did it, as the video was in German, I think, not in English. So I could not understand it and it looked very complicated.

But Windows XP and Windows 7 are both the best versions of Windows, and they both tie for the number one spot in my opinion of best operating systems.

But Windows Vista,I am not sure about that one, but it is slower than Windows 7.But I have only experienced Windows Vista on a second hand laptop that later broke. So I don't know if it would run better on a better laptop.

But even there on Windows Vista at least you have got a start menu and normal Windows desktop. But on Windows 8 you have not.

But yes,both Windows 7 and Windows XP are the best and ideally you should have both operating systems.I would also like to try Windows 2000 but you cannot get that now.

But if I had started on using the computer 10 years ago and bought a laptop then. I could have had a Windows 2000 laptop now. As laptops can last for 10 years or more if you look after them. So I have missed out by starting to learn to use a computer late and getting my first home computer late.

But not too late, as we can still buy Windows 7. But what about the other first time computer users? If they don't hurry up and get a computer or laptop now,they will be stuck with Windows 8. And that will put them off of computers for life. Because they won't be able to use it.

But I don't know what I would have done if my first computer had been Windows 8. Just think I probably would not be using the computer now. Because you cannot use Windows 8. It is too difficult to use.Andrea Borman.

PLEASE, please move this let's-try-to-think-of-it-as-comedy thread to the Watercooler, p-l-e-a-s-e. :confused_smile:

Microsoft Windows 8 Developers Preview Desktop image attached. Look familiar?

Trouble I see in your images that you managed to get rid of the Metro theme. And you have a Windows 7 start menu and Windows 7 desktop in your Windows 8.

How did you do it? And what software did you use to get rid of the Metro theme? Andrea Borman.

You know, here's the irony to all this... I have been using, running, up live on my monitor, (my NON-TOUCH monitor, btw) Windows 8 since September 2011. In this, I am certainly not alone or unique. I sat through the entire Keynote @ BUILD, when Win8 & the Dev Preview were presented. I have done a wee bit (wink) of reading & research regarding Win8 and Start/Desktop/Search, specifically. The (known) Start, that grew from Win95 to Win7, has been retired. Bear in mind, what there MAY BE once we go from the Beta to RTM & GA, is not known, basically.... there may, (who knows) end up being available some sort of 'traditional' Start Menu, once Desktop is selected. Basing any judgements of what we will see @ the end of 2012, on the Dev Preview would be ridiculous! That said, here's the point... I am in/on Windows 8, as we speak. It is blazing fast and the display & graphics nothing but, striking & impressive. IF, (& yes, I know this is the big obstacle or not) one actually, open-mindedly, willingly, in an interested, adventurous fashion uses Win8 AND Start (screen), HANDS-ON, it is just so bloody cool it makes one smile & chuckle. Dig this bit... & I swear this transcends Search function which, certainly there is but, anyway... be on the Start (screen) & just begin to type, in the middle of nowhere, what ever you want... in the PC, photos, files, a drive, et al...anything on the web, any App, Service, Function.... ANYTHING & immediately it's in front of you.. it's easy, fast, fun. Reading this thread vs using Windows 8 AND on a NON-TOUCH screen makes me laugh out loud. IF, one gets to know Win8 & Start, how (well) it works, how darn neat its abilities & functionality is, what a joy it is, well, then.... It is so cool, funky, brilliant, EASY TO USE & quick, that it does, indeed, make this thread comedy & Watercooler material. Kindest Regards, Drew. NB: (My) Windows 8 install is a virtual machine, 1Gb RAM (assigned), 4Gb on Win7 host. Win8 space required/.iso is less than 40 Gb w/ x64 & just under 30 w/ x86.

Last edited:
fwiw. "Windows 2000,98,95,Windows XP and Windows Vista on Windows 8. And some people say you cannot even run most Windows 7 software on Windows 8."The "some people" are ill informed. I am not aware of any Windows 7 software that will not run on the developer
release (No one outside of MS is running Windows 8 yet) I have, currently, 28 Windows 7/Windows XP programs running under test on 8 developer, all at 100% efficiency. As had been already mentioned, as Windows 8 is not yet available, no (I think!) software has yet been stated as " Windows 8 ready", or rewritten for public consumption

Attachments

• oldstart.png
    oldstart.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Andrea could you try and keep your posts factual. Windows 8 does have a start menu you just have to disable metro. All the software that runs on 7 runs well on 8 too. So please stop with your ill informed judgements about a yet to be released OS.

NMSUK

But how would you disable Metro on Windows 8 to get a Windows 7 start menu and normal Windows 7 desktop? What software would do it?

But than there is another thing I don't like about Windows 8. From the articles I read it seems that you have to log in with a password. But on Windows 7,Windows XP and Vista you don't have to have a password if you don't want one. So I don't have a password on my Windows 7 and Windows XP.

But do you have to have a password on Windows 8, or is it like Windows 7 where you can just boot up and log in without any password? Andrea Borman.

"But how would you disable Metro on Windows 8 to get a Windows 7 start menu and normal Windows 7 desktop"

Once again. At this stage, I repeat, noone has had the chance to try Windows 8. Strong hints from the boss (MS) - more than a hint now! Pretty much confirmed - are that the switch will be included, instead of the compromise we are all using at the moment with the developer.

You can auto login just like all previous OS's as for metro look for metro tweak :)

No,I don't auto log in on any of my Windows 7 or Windows XP computers.I am set up as the Administrator account on both my Windows 7 and Windows XP.But I do not have a password on any of my User or Administrator accounts at all.

Auto log in is where you do have a password but log in automatically. But I never set up any password at all on my Windows XP and Windows 7 computers.

On Windows 7,Windows XP and Windows Vista you can even set up other user or Administrator accounts without any password and just log into those without a password. That's how free and easy Windows 7,Windows XP and Windows Vista is,great isn't it.

Unlike on horrible old Linux where you are forced to have a password and there is no way to disable this annoying feature.That's another reason why I don't like Linux. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Just FYI, there are a few things that are coming out that will not run on 8. Mostly they are the free Microsoft services, like Games For Windows Live Logon Assistant that comes with Fallout 3. That version will run, but when you take the mandatory update, it will stop responding in Fallout 3, so no achievements or using save games. That’s not a huge deal though, when 8 drops out mainstream, Microsoft can just release a newer version of the Windows Live Logon Assistant, problem fixed.

Andrea, that is a horrible idea. No passwords on your computer. So now, you have not protection from nastiness on the net, and you have no way of stopping people from linking to your system, then on top of that they can log on as Administrator, that has no password I remind you, and have complete control of your computer. You are a black hats wet dream. Ignorance and stupidity wrapped up in a blanket of twice paved road. You had no clue what UI is or what the difference in Windows 9x and NT based are. Hell I gave you the answer right there to the question and you still will get it wrong.

I am usually against this, but you really need to learn a lot before you start telling us that we are wrong. Sadly enough you will have to go to school to learn that. I know that I am usually the one yelling that at home training is just as good if not better than school based training, but for you, that is your only choice.

Well I am going to stock up on computers now to avoid being stuck with the dreaded Windows 8 in the future.

The only problem is when I move house I will have to take all of the 20 Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops I might have in the future with me.

Still anything to avoid the dreaded Windows 8.

And while I am at it I should also buy some Windows 7 CD's. But the problem is that is it true you can only use the Windows 7 installation CD on one computer? Or can you use it on several? Andrea Borman.

Have just read this ridiculous thread from the start and I have to admire you guys for your polite and at times pointed replies to Andrea...but really...its like telling the president of the Flat Earth Society the earth is really round, give up and send the thread onwards....pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Have just read this ridiculous thread from the start and I have to admire you guys for your polite and at times pointed replies to Andrea...but really...its like telling the president of the Flat Earth Society the earth is really round, give up and send the thread onwards....pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Link Removed - Invalid URL

You really nailed it! There is no getting through to her. A few regular posters left here because they were sick of her garbage posts like recommending not to use Av software.
Joe

Well I have got Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops and they are both very secure. And on my Windows XP laptops I do not have any anti virus software.

And never mind the stories you hear on the web about Windows XP not being secure. It is secure. And I have never had a computer virus on my Windows XP.

And I do not have any anti virus software on my Windows 7. And I have never had a computer virus on my Windows 7 computers either.

There are no viruses on Windows. Andrea Borman.

Back