Windows 7 Why you should say no to Windows 8 and stick with Windows 7.

Andrea, would you please just stop it!!!!?

You're stating basically the same thing, just in circles. If you liked Windows 8 DP, a notice was given, it's good until January 15 2013. Read the article. You can run it however you like it, w/o the Metro UI.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

And if you don't want to run Windows 8 again, fine. Return to your original plan & stock up on Windows XP & 7 netbooks. Windows 7 is a great OS, and you can enjoy it until January 14, 2020, and possibly another couple of years afterwards. It's OK, no one is twisting your arm to run Win 8 CP, DP or RTM. I still like Windows 7 myself, otherwise I'd be moving on to the Windows 8 Forum, where I'm a member of already.

But I need an OS that will run better on my low powered desktop, and it's looking as though Windows 8 may be it. Due to the way it's built (an all-in-one), I can't just replace the MB & drop in a six core AMD for better performance. And if all goes as planned, I'm going to have it, Metro UI or not. I can adapt to change.

Cat

Look, everybody, MANY of us have ask this person to stop. It does not work or do any good. & it seems Forum Admin refuse to ban her. Ergo, how bout y'all stop beating your heads against a wall & just put her on IGNORE. And, somebody stop the madness!

Regards,
Drew

Cat, I think I am in love with you... uhhh, I mean umm What you say? All your base are belong to us! ROTFLMAO

I did run into my first problem with 8 today. The Pinball 2 refuses to run and the Solitarie crashes about five seconds into the game. Other than that it is a great OS so far. I am annoyed with the default options that they put in after install. Use stupid check boxes, your mother uses check boxes. ROTFLMAO I mean the things that I don't like about the OS are so minute and petty. Just change the option or setting and it is all fixed. This is like useing 7 RC1 again. I love it.

I reckon, @ this point in time, the OS is in heaps better state than the Apps. The (OS) fundamentals, that really matter are ok.

Remember, it's 5 days old... so to speak. A just released Beta, ain't gonna be 'perfect' (you know how that's meant);...Although, this one's damn slick, as is. Just keep in mind, there's several months (of work) ahead, time to go.

But, to be fair, really seems most are lauding it, quite highly & strongly. If you use the Keyboard instead, of the mouse... sure is pleasant to operate.

All tinsel aside, technically it is superb, impressive, pleasing, exciting & honestly, fun. Knowing what's going on below the surface, seeing the performance results, its compatibility... yep. Beta testing this 1 is gonna be a good ride. This OS sure gets you hooked, though.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
Catilley1092 wrote-
Andrea, would you please just stop it!!!!?

You're stating basically the same thing, just in circles. If you liked Windows 8 DP, a notice was given, it's good until January 15 2013. Read the article. You can run it however you like it, w/o the Metro UI.

Well on my Windows 8 DP it said it expires on March 11th 2012. Which is why I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview. But even if they do extend the Developers Preview to January 2013. Will Microsoft make the final version of Windows 8 that will be on sale to the public with the option to disable the Metro theme? And get the Windows 7 start menu back?
Which is what people like me need. And is the only way most Windows users can use it. With the Metro theme disabled and with a normal start menu.The Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu.

NaiyaShamiso wrote-
You are beating a dead horse. No matter how much you gripe and complain, but the fact remains that metro and ribbin is the way Microsoft and a lot of other software desingers are going to be headed. Get use to it.

No I cannot get used to it and neither can other people. Because I cannot use it like that and neither can most other people. All right I could use the metro theme in Developers Preview. But the DP was more user friendly. And also I had Classic Shell installed to bring up the Windows XP start menu when I needed to do find something quickly.

In CP they have made it a lot harder to use.

NaiyaShamiso wrote-
Crashes? Sounds like PEBKaC to me. Have you installed all the drivers for your system? Did you look to find any newer drivers that may exist for you system? Also you are running that crap happy netbooks. I have said it before and I will continue to say it, NETBOOKS ARE CRAP. Slow, under powered, unreliable and just in general a POS with no real value in the market at all. Hell checking e-mail is about all it can really do, and it is almost under powered to do that. Ditch the zero and get with a hero, but a computer worth a crap and you will see a major difference.

No it's not my the drivers that was the problem. And I did run Windows update to update the system. But that did not resolve any of my problems. But there is one thing. And that is my screen resolution only goes up to 1024 by 600 pixels. And that is the highest it will go on all of my netbooks. But I found out you need a screen resolution of at least 700. So none of the Metro apps worked,not on DP or on CP. But I don't want to use those anyway, as on DP I had my own software,Google Chrome,Gom Media Player etc.

NaiyaShamiso wrote-
Okay, Angela..., er Andrea... yea that's right, Andrea. This is going to be a point that you have to understand and take to heart. If you want to be taken seriously as a computer anything then you have got to stop crying about computers and start doing things for yourself. As far as I know, none of us work for Microsoft and so none of us have inside knowledge of 8. Though we are still able to use and work with it. dose that make any of us smarter than the other...NO! A one armed retarted chimpanzie trying to screw a greesie football downhill could do this job and get it done. Though if you want to be good at it you have to stop with this, oh this didn't work the first time I did it, oh this is not doing it automaticly for me, oh the software didn't walk me through how to do it, crap and start doing things. If you don't know how to use the Metro UI, then learn how, don't just complain and cry about how hard it is to use. No one is going to hold your hand forever, at some point you will have to get out and start doing this stuff on your own. Now I'm starting to pull and Andrea. Any way, that is all I have to say about that.

If Microsoft are going to release Windows 8 to the general public they MUST give us the option to disable the Metro theme. And use the Windows 7 start menu. This worked well for most people in DP. And that is what most people did,disable the Metro theme. And also even if you did use the Metro theme. You never had the problems with the ribbon freezing your mouse. So you cannot send shortcuts to your desktop. Like I had in CP.

And in DP you could use Classic Shell to help you. But Classic Shell does not work in CP.

You may be able to use Windows 8 with the Metro theme. Even though Microsoft have made the Metro theme harder to use. But I and most people cannot use it. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
At this point it is going to happen. Microsoft is working for a unified OS for server, desktop, coffiee maker, laptop, microwave, netbook, phone, tablet, kitchen sink, toilet, X360X/X720X and MP3 player. It is a goal to make all of their OSes the same style so that a consumer can go from one device to another with out any learning curve. In the long run this will out way the complaining of people that do not know how to use technology. When people start understanding that they run their PC the same as they run their XX or Zune or Windows Phone, then people will see how much easier it is to use.

At this point it is going to happen. Microsoft is working for a unified OS for server, desktop, coffiee maker, laptop, microwave, netbook, phone, tablet, kitchen sink, toilet, X360X/X720X and MP3 player. It is a goal to make all of their OSes the same style so that a consumer can go from one device to another with out any learning curve. In the long run this will out way the complaining of people that do not know how to use technology. When people start understanding that they run their PC the same as they run their XX or Zune or Windows Phone, then people will see how much easier it is to use.

But not everybody can use the Metro theme. And also a lot of people don't want the Metro theme. All I and most people want is a normal start menu. We are not asking for much,just a normal start menu,not this Metro theme.

I was given 2 more netbooks as a present from a friend that had Windows 7 on them. I decided to install Linux Mint 11 Gnome edition on one of them. And Zoren OS on the other and both netbooks are running Linux as the only operating system. But of course I still have my other 5 netbooks,2 with Windows XP and the other 3 with Windows 7.

I have always found Linux not as user friendly as Windows,that is true. But the irony of it all is that on most versions of Linux,even on Ubuntu,you have a start menu. But on Windows 8 you have got nothing.

I never understood why people gave up their Windows for Linux. But with this Windows 8 CP with it's no start menu I can now understand it. I have bought 2 Windows 7 Home Premium full installation CDs. And I used one of them to put Windows 7 back on the Windows 8 netbook.

And now on Windows 7,I am free to have a start menu and use Windows in the normal way that it should be used. And I even have my Windows XP start menu thanks to Classic Shell. Although of course the Windows 7 start menu is good as well.

I now understand why some people are starting to look for an alternative to Windows like Recact OS which is a Windows 2000 clone. Not based on Linux or Windows, which by the way is in Alpha and does not work. But still it's the thought that counts.

And some people are turning to Linux, in order to get out of being stuck with Windows 8 which has no start menu.

I will only use Windows 8 if I could have a normal start menu. But I cannot use it without a start menu.

So if they stop selling Windows 7 and we are forced to buy Windows 8.I would want to install Windows 7 on any new laptop or netbook that had Windows 8 on it.

But there is one problem. Microsoft want to make new laptops with secure boot. So we won't be able to install Linux or even Windows 7 on new computers. Oh no.

Now you understand why I want to go to the Prime Minister and the European Court Of Human Rights to stop Microsoft doing this to us. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
But not everybody can use the Metro theme. And also a lot of people don't want the Metro theme. All I and most people want is a normal start menu. We are not asking for much,just a normal start menu,not this Metro theme.

Okay lets stop beating around the bush with this and get to the one hard fact about this. The metro ribon inter face is not new to 8. It has been around for years now, starting with Office 2007. This is not a new concept that just came out with the thought of a new Windows. It is old and has been in the making for years now. It has been proven to be a sucess in Office and many other softwares that took it on long ago.

I was given 2 more netboks as a present from a friend that had Windows 7 on them. I decided to install Linux Mint 11 Gnome edition on one of them. And Zoren OS on the other and both netbooks are running Linux as the only operating system. But of course I still have my other 5 netbooks,2 with Windows XP and the other 3 with Windows 7.

I have always found Linux not as user friendly as Windows,that is true. But the irony of it all is that on most versions of Linux,even on Ubuntu,you have a start menu. But on Windows 8 you have got nothing.

Okay, first lets get your mind wraped around this. Linux is the kernel, Mint is the distrobution, 11 is the version, and Gnome is the desktop enviroment being used by default. Any Linux based OS, with enough work can look and act just like any other Linux based OS. A one size fits all statement like that can not be used to discribe any Linux based OS.

I never understood why people gave up their Windows for Linux. But with this Windows 8 CP with it's no start menu I can now understand it. I have bought 2 Windows 7 Home Premium full installation CDs. And I used one of them to put Windows 7 back on the Windows 8 netbook.
I now understand why some people are starting to look for an alternative to Windows like Recact Os which is a Windows 2000 clone. Not based on Linux or Windows, which by the way is in Alpha and does not work. But still it's the thought that counts.

And some people are turning to Linux, in order to get out of being stuck with Windows 8 which has no start menu.

Because Windows is a propriatary OS and Linux or GNU is an open source OS. This means that if you want your Linux or GNU to look and act a certin way it can. Or if a person wants to make a new OS with their own twist on it, they can do that. Windows, not so much. So there is a lot more behind the choice to use something other than Windows.

I will only use Windows 8 if I could have a normal start menu. But I cannot use it without a start menu.

So if they stop selling Windows 7 and we are forced to buy Windows 8.I would want to install Windows 7 on any new laptop or netbook that had Windows 8 on it.

Have fun with that.

But there is one problem. Microsoft want to make new laptops with secure boot. So we won't be able to install Linux or even Windows 7 on new computers. Oh no.

Now you understand why I want to go to the Prime Minister and the European Court Of Human Rights to stop Microsoft doing this to us.

Well there are talks about that secure boot being a manditory for all 8 certified computers. Though there is also talk about, unless on a embeded device, there being an option to disable secure boot. Then on the other hand, I can see the boot loaders making a way to get around that. I would put my money on GRUB, though I am bias about that subject. I like GRUB over LILO, mostly because it is a little easyer to work with the files and it is pretier. LoL Here we go again with the corts and tirals. European Union crap throwing at it's best. What was it, 18 months and over a million Euros in court costs and time sueing Microsoft and in the end it was all so that they would take out Windows Media Player from XP. In the end the huge crap fest was over getting Windows Media player preinstalled in Windows, for free. Not that it was doing any wrong or that you had to use it, but that is was just there. What a huge waste of time and money. If you wanted to throw away money like that, hell send it to me and I can sit around and do what I love instead of working this crap job I have. So this should be right up their alley, and they will most likely go after Microsoft for that. It will be very intersting to see this though, give Microsoft too much greif and they can add your country to the DNATDB list. That would be Do Not Assist This Douche Bag, in case you didn't get that. They have the list started with the banning of countries from the Games for Live. Entire contries banned from playing Windows or even XX games online. I think it would be funny to see Europe on that list. Then all they can legaly use is Linux ROTFLMAO I would so love to see that.

Look, everybody, MANY of us have ask this person to stop. It does not work or do any good. & it seems Forum Admin refuse to ban her. Ergo, how bout y'all stop beating your heads against a wall & just put her on IGNORE. And, somebody stop the madness!

Regards,
Drew

While I can only speak for myself, I can speak to our policy on the matter. The posts that Andrea has made thus far seem to be negative, yes, but they are reflective of legitimate concerns that can and will be raised, to some degree, by less experienced computer users. For the most part, I agree with Naiya, but we will not ban someone simply because we disagree with them. The goal of the website is also discussion, and that may include assertions or conclusions which are made that a vast majority of people may not agree with. This is the nature of trying to keep a policy of open discussion available and not closing it with an iron fist.

It is important not to repeat the same talking points, go off-topic, or engage in flame baiting or trolling. I really believe that Andrea's concerns are genuine, although in many cases misguided. It is the opportunity of people who want to engage in these lengthy discussions to participate in them without resulting in name-calling or hurtful remarks. We must be open-minded to others points of view. Many people will have perceived indifference or outright dislike for the properties of certain software, systems, and services. We view this as the right of every person to express those views in a clear, concise, and meaningful way. There is no harm done in not responding to something if it seems so ludicrous it deserves no response to you. But there are people in this world who have sworn off Windows 7 and still want to use Windows XP. We will not give them the cold shoulder if they want to explain their reasons why.

This is not only a support site, but a technology discussion forum where everyone of different skill levels is welcome.

Mike we don't disagree w/ any of that. It's the repetition that makes this specific situation a waste of space & silly to take up ppl's time & thought reading it. Then, there are the kind-hearted, well-meaning Folks who try to respond, help & get through to her but, always to no avail. We are here to welcome queries, discussions & opinions...

All being suggested, as I see ppl making an effort & getting beside themselves cus it just goes around & around w/ this particular person, is don't bother getting your knickers in a knot, trying... better to just ignore, than get caught up in or indulge the never-ending rant.

That's all, just that ppl stop wearing themselves out or being frustrated or irritated swimming against the current w/ this person. Andrea, certainly, is as free as anyone to speak, just one gets to feel sorry for ppl attempting to respond to her.

Cheers,
Drew

Mike, I think you are right. You cannot ban a person because they forward 'extravagant' ideas. What is annoying on this subject is the repetition of the same old stuff. But I think that is also the fault of the other members. As long as someone answers, they are fuelling the thread and it will never end.

My suggestion is that everybody read but does not respond. Then the arguments will go away all by themselves.

Well I was getting along fine with Windows 8 DP. But I knew that I could not keep it because it was going to expire on March 11th 2012. But Windows 8 DP was different from CP. It was a lot more flexible because you could disable the Metro theme. And that helped a lot of people including me.

And I admit,that as soon as Windows 8 DP was installed,the first thing I did was to disable the Metro theme. And I disabled User Account Control,which I never use.

But even with the Metro theme you could still use it,as it was more user friendly and less buggy than CP. And the ribbon toolbar did not hinder me at all in DP. But it cause no end to problems in CP.

I thought that Windows 8 CP would be like DP and you could disable the Metro. How wrong I was.

Although you could disable the Metro theme in Windows 8 DP it was not in listed in the settings menu. It was hidden and you had to do it with a registry edit or with third party software like Metro Controller.

And you could also keep Metro and have a Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu if you installed Classic Shell which I did.

I even made a video on You Tube showing people how easy it was to run Windows 8 DP. First with the Metro theme and then I made a video showing Windows 8 DP running with the metro theme disabled.

In fact apart from the Metro theme which you could disable,Windows 8 DP was exactly like Windows 7 and Windows Vista. The only thing it did not have is the Windows Classic 98 theme that disabled Aero completely. Which we have on Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows XP.

But still we had the choice of disabling Metro and using it like Windows 7. Which is what I and most Windows users want.

And I thought that in CP,this time they would make the settings to turn off Metro visible in control panel. So you can imagine my shock when I found out you cannot disable the Metro theme. Or use any third party software to do it. Or even use Classic Shell to get a Windows start menu in CP.

I remember Old Timer said in a post in the Windows 8 Forums that he could not disable Metro either. And he said unless Microsoft changed that he would never run it as his OS. And neither will I.

It's not that just that we don't want to use it with the Metro theme. But we cannot use it with the Metro theme. You cannot see all of your settings without the start menu.

And most home computer users are like me. They are families or even old people who only just about manage to use a computer. And they have Windows XP,and maybe Windows 7.And they can only do the simple things on a computer.

So how are they going to manage with Windows 8 with it's no start menu? If I cannot use it other people who are even less experienced at computers than I am won't be able to use it.

Microsoft are wrong to remove the option of having a start menu on Windows 8 CP. And if this is going to be the final release. Then I hope you have got your spare unused Windows 7 CDs and spare Windows 7 and Windows XP computers. Because you are going to need them.

Or else you could be stuck with a version of Windows you cannot use. And if you have to buy a new PC a computer with secure boot that won't even let you install Windows 7 or Windows XP over Windows 8.

Oh my God. What are we going to do?It won't just be be that won't be able to use a computer any more if that happens. It will be millions of other people as well. Andrea Borman.

"As long as someone answers, they are fuelling the thread and it will never end.

My suggestion is that everybody read but does not respond. Then the arguments will go away all by themselves."

Exactly!

Last edited:
"As long as someone answers, they are fuelling the thread and it will never end.

My suggestion is that everybody read but does not respond. Then the arguments will go away all by themselves."

Exactly!
That's the way that I feel, too.

Cat

I bought 2 copies of Win 8. I installed them on 2 of 4 laptops, one of the installations was a full install on my main laptop. The other installation was an upgrade. I've had nothing but frustration from everything from random failures to boot to just plain crashes and slowdowns. Win 8 is remarkably slower than Win 7.

Many times I have regretted not opting for the Mac instead of the IBM-Windows super rip-off!! To rid my life from the Win 8, I didn't even mind reformatting all of my hard drives and reinstalling Win 7 and reinstalling all of my apps as well. Win 7 will be my last version of Windows. Microsoft windows has always been a rip-off, anyhow. 3-4 different versions of Vista and 3-4 different flavors of Win 7. Think about it Windows fans, haven't you been ripped off and gouged too many times?

Gosh I cannot believe someone has actually bumped a thread over a year old!

Well Windows 8 is only being sold as an upgrade,in England anyway. So I bought the upgrade installation version of Windows 8 Pro. But I have not got round to installing it yet due to being tied up with other things. But the good news is that Classic Shell and the other start menu software works on the final version of Windows 8.So we will have the start button and Windows 7 start menu.

Windows 8 is a lot like Windows 7 except there are one or two software's that does not work on Windows 8,even though they work on all other versions of Windows. So Windows 8 looses a couple of points.Also Windows 8 is only being sold as an upgrade,it means you must already have Windows 7 or another version of Windows already installed to install Windows 8.Which is not very helpful for people have have accidentally nuked their operating system.

I received a notice from this thread this morning that informed me that I had received a reply to a post. I clicked on the URL and I ended up here. I didn't remember ever posting here, but I shared my experience with Win 8 from a week ago. It never occured to me that I had received a reply from a post that was a year old.

I actually liked the layout with win 8 and it wasn't hard to master its navigation and GUI. But I just couldn't cope with the slower speed and the random 'gotchas'.

BTW: My installation was a clean install on a newly formatted hard drive. Win 8 will not upgrade from win 7.

Last edited:

Well Windows 8 is only being sold as an upgrade,in England anyway. So I bought the upgrade installation version of Windows 8 Pro. But I have not got round to installing it yet due to being tied up with other things. But the good news is that Classic Shell and the other start menu software works on the final version of Windows 8.So we will have the start button and Windows 7 start menu.

Windows 8 is a lot like Windows 7 except there are one or two software's that does not work on Windows 8,even though they work on all other versions of Windows. So Windows 8 looses a couple of points.Also Windows 8 is only being sold as an upgrade,it means you must already have Windows 7 or another version of Windows already installed to install Windows 8.Which is not very helpful for people have have accidentally nuked their operating system.
They do sell Windows 8 OEM versions in the US. Example: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - Operating Systems

PS: Looks like you got used to Windows 8.

Well in PC World,a big chain of computer stores in England that sells Windows and computers,only sells Windows 8 as an upgrade install.They also told me that Windows 8 is only being sold as an upgrade.And that OEM or system builder is only for computer makers who are building computers to sell in shops,which rules out us home computer users.

I saw the links you gave me but I don't like shopping online and giving my credit card details online.Also that version is only 64 bit and I need 32 bit windows because I have netbooks. Also I never use 64 bit 64 bit Windows, I only use 32 bit. Because 64 bit windows does not run all of the old software from earlier versions of Windows,where as 32 bit windows does.

I know you can phone up Microsoft direct and order Windows over the telephone though their sales department. But I don't know if Microsoft are selling Windows 8 OEM to home computer users who are just looking to install Windows on an existing computer and not build a computer.

Regarding Windows 8, I think that's true that Microsoft would rather we used the Metro theme and Metro start menu not the Windows 7 start menu. And you can't disable the Metro theme,but this has had no effect on most Windows users. Because you can just install Classic Shell or Start Menu 7 which gives you both the start button and Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8.

You can now disable the charms bar with classic Shell as well as the start screen.So once you have installed Classic Shell you won't know the Metro theme is still there. Although it still is but you have your Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu,while the Metro theme will run in the background,almost unnoticed.

I bought Windows 8 Pro 32 bit two months ago but I have not go round to installing it yet because I have been tied up with other things. But from what I have read Classic Shell works on Windows 8 pro which is good news.

The only thing that's changed in Windows 8 Pro which might displease some people is that the Windows Sidebar from Windows Vista and Windows 7 Gadgets don't work on Windows 8 Pro,also the Aero theme is gone. But that's not so important,the main issue with me is that I can have the traditional Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8. Which you can,if you install a third party start menu software like Classic Shell.
Also you can install ribbon disable which disables the Ribbon in Windows Explorer and gives you the Windows 7 Explorer.

Back