Windows 8 Wifi Adapter Issue

chichikov

I'm using a new HP laptop with Windows 8.1 and am unable to connect to my wireless internet. It doesn't even give me the opportunity to enter the security key. When I troubleshoot through both HP and Windows both seem to indicate an issue with my wifi adapter settings. Some googling about the issue leads me to believe it's the adapter which is 802.11 b/g/n but needs to be AC as the router was initially set up using a mac.

Does anyone know how I'd go about changing the correct settings either on the mac or on my own laptop? As long as it'd result in both laptops being able to connect of course.

All apple products seems to work such as ipods, iphones and obviously the mac which is what leads me to believe that it is the method used in setting the router up that is the problem.

Apologies if what some of I say doesn't make sense as even the simplest technology is a mystery to my mind.

It is a known issue with Win 8.1. The best possible solution is to go to the wireless adapter manufacturer's support website and download Win 8.1 version of the driver. Can you connect to the internet via ethernet cable? If so, the wireless driver is the most probable cause. Just like what kemical said, post the make and model of your machine so one can check the hardware you have and the driver you will probably need or other possible issues.

Yep....I have the same problem. It comes and goes. I've installed the latest wifi adapter driver and rolled back the driver and still have the issue. A quick fix, all be it a temporary one at best, is to disconnect the wifi and the reconnect. Running the trouble shooter works half the time. The biggest problem I've seen is with the laptop manufacturers themselves. Laptop owners upgrade to the next OS but the laptop vendor is not releasing drivers for that particular OS for what ever reason. Sometimes the individual hardware manufacture will release a driver that will work but not always.

Thanks for the help.
I'm living in Jordan at the minute so the router is an Umniah umax router. The back says it is a Wimax indoor CPE and the model is SWC-9200(3.5g) if those details are of any use to you.

The Ethernet cable worked yesterday but isn't today. When I troubleshoot it says 'windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings'.
I'm using an iPod and the wifi settings have the DNS as 192.168.3.1
When I type iconfig into the command prompt I get :
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
Link local IPv6 Address: fe80::285d:2f07:ba24:5ff7%13
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address :169.254.95.247
Subnet mask:255.255.0.0
Everything else is either blank or says media disconnected.

The wifi is 802.11g WEP. So you think if I can upgrade to 8.1 I may have some joy? By reset do you mean on/off or poking the hole from behind? (My girlfriend hasn't let me in 4 years, I've only just met this router!)

I would reset the router back to factory default settings.....there should be a little hole on the back. Take a paper clip and straighten out one end, the push it in the hole, push it in and hold down on the reset button inside and wait till the router reboots. Then I would go in and change the security protection from WEP to WPA2.

I would reset the router back to factory default settings.....there should be a little hole on the back. Take a paper clip and straighten out one end, the push it in the hole, push it in and hold down on the reset button inside and wait till the router reboots. Then I would go in and change the security protection from WEP to WPA2.

How would I got about changing it from WEP to WPA2? Would this affect the use of the Mac? My flatmate is a bitch and listening to her complain about how I'd broken the Internet would lead to me throwing her out the window, naked so that the street cats and rats could feed on her intolerable rotting body.

No no...the WEP, WPA and WPA2 is/are your security encryption....WEP being the lowest and WPA2 being the highest level. To access that, you'll need to access the routers web-based page. Usually be typing into the browsers search field at top, 192.168.X.X where the X is your routers IP address. For that number you'll need the instructions from your routers info/support page.

Back