Windows 7 Will 8GB of RAM speed up your system?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Memory manufacturer Corsair researched what are the advantages of having more than 4GB of RAM. In the analysis titled “Doing More With More Memoryâ€Â￾ company showed benefits of having 8GB over 4GB of RAM. They conducted a test with Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard, a 2.6 GHz Phenom II X3 710 CPU, a P256 solid state drive, a GeForce GTX 280 graphics card, a HX1000W power supply, and running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Crysis,Warhead and other benchmarks showed superiority of system with 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

The rest of this article can be read here: http://www.insidehw.com/News/Hardware/Do-you-need-8GB-of-RAM.html

Thanks Neeraj, I just linked to it of course.. but it is handy for those thinking about splashing the cash..:D

The answer is Maybe.......

Depends on what you are doing.
In gaming,,, not really.
Audio sampling,, laying down ton of tracks and rendering them? Yes
Video? see Audio...
Virtualization

So, it really depends on what you are doing.
Normal work and minor Audio/Video rendering is not going to make that big a difference. If any at all.

The majority of regular users aren't going to have more than a few apps open at any given time.
They don't do virtualization.
They don't do multi-track audio editing
They don't do multi-track Video/audio editing

So, I call this a bogus "Corsair needs money" article.

The average user/gamer only needs 2 to 4 gigs ram.
The above average user will want 4G and may need 6+. But they are the exception.

Tom's Hardware tested this out a while back.. It was a good read.. ;) As is this article.. Nice find kemical! I've noticed a big difference in multiple areas with 8GB's in comparison to 4GB's (for example)..

I agree that to notice a difference it depends on what your doing.. :)

I got 8 gigs of ram and when I run VMware Workstation I give the guest 4 gigs of ram. They run like a real pc. With a Virtual PC running I have used as much as 6 gigs of ram when doing something like running their conversion tool because I made the virtual HD too small and didn't want the possible hassle of reactivating with MS. I like to test software especially freeware on a virtual PC before actually installing. If it messes up the virtual pc I can just delete it and copy back it from my external HD. I also have XP on one and use it for some old software.
Joe

I'll be maxing out at 4gigs not too long from here.. awaiting my pc3200 1 gig to come in & it'll make me basically 2.2gigs of ram as of right now.. still on the low side .lol
but I also do sound recording & video work through various programs & rendering is probably the most heaviest thing I've come across as of yet
I agree that 6gigs is probably the most anyone would really need...
& for anyone 8gigs of ram or more or whatever,,,
I'd expect it to be possible a server for other computers while maintaining settings to control other computers or the 8gig computer to run off 3 monitors doin some serious damage ...lol

Tepid is spot on with his reply. The great % of folks never even come close to using 4gigs of ram
during normal program usage (you can monitor this with Task Manager).
Power Users who muti-task with lots of software running simultaneously, could benefit from having more than four GB's of RAM, but they are the rare exception. I would spend money on more RAM only if my machine began having problems and needed the upgrade. If money is not a consideration, then by all
means, buy some more. It keeps people working, and THAT is never a bad thing...

Tepid and BigDav are spot-on

You only need however much ram is necessary to "hold" whatever applications and documents you have working. That may be 1 GB or it may be 12 GB. (Well, 1 GB may be skimping even for someone like me who doesn't "tab"and doesn't "multitask") The amount of RAM that one needs depends on whether they have multiple applications open and have many documents open or "working" at any given time. If your RAM capacity is not exceeded such that it is frequently swapping files back and forth between RAM and swap files it has had to place on the harddrive, you would not benefit from additional RAM. If one wishes to make a significant increase in computer speed in this situation, their money would be better spent on a faster processor. If, however, one tends to have a lot of applications open and has numerous large files open at the same time they are streaming music throughout the house, they would do well to have a very large bank of RAM.

The situation is kinda like asking how big a truck one needs to haul "something" - - Just depends on how big and how heavy the load is. Likewise one needs as much RAM as is necessary to "carry" whatever "load" they would ask of it. Always remember one point about RAM: more RAM itself doesn't actually make the computer process information any faster, it just makes the raw information more quickly available to the processor.

To answer the specific original question posed here: If you have 8 GB of "stuff" working so RAM is having to swap between RAM and harddrive swap files, YES, 8 GB would speed up your computer. If you have 4 GB RAM installed and you never actually USE more than 3 GB, NO, more RAM will not speed up your computer because, in that situation, the processor really would be the limiting factor. (If a pick-up truck will satisfactorily haul the load you need hauled, there would be no benefit to hauling the same load in a tractor-trailer.)

Last edited:
My initial idea in posting the two threads concerning the use of such a big amount of RAM was to hopefully education.
RAM has become so cheap, especially DDR2, that the trend of having 8gig was becoming more about 'kudos' than actually using it..

My initial idea in posting the two threads concerning the use of such a big amount of RAM was to hopefully education.
RAM has become so cheap, especially DDR2, that the trend of having 8gig was becoming more about 'kudos' than actually using it..

Touche' ! As is with cars, tvs, etc., if my neighbor has 8, I gotta have 9. Besides, with RAM, more than enough is not too much, but less than enough is too little.

Not to mention just when you got comfortable amount of ram so company decides to bring out something huge that needs a juggernaught rig to max out.

As is the way of such things..... They will always find a way for us to spend money lol....

noticed nobody mentioned you could always use the spare ram for a ram drive too while waiting for stuff that needs it all. I always thought about experimenting with installing a game to a 4gig ramdrive (when i get 16gig ram) to see what it runs like...mainly to use for evaluating games before putting onto main HD, although with SSD finally out that would now seem a moot point.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's someone in the forum who runs a RAM drive? Is it Reghakr? or am I thinking of the wrong forum lol..

Well, I have 8Gb, because I thought those two empty slots on the motherboard would be lonely if I got 4 instead of 8. Anyways I usually have about 3 adobe products open, with windows media player, Firefox(10-20 tabs), and other misc things. I'm wondering if that even uses more than 4GB of RAM. :p

Last edited:
I suppose if I were honest I'd love 8GB of the stuff too (if I wasn't running in 32bit)

Back