Windows 8 Win 10 Tech Preview questions

davidhk129

I apologize that I am posting my questions here. But, there is no Win 10 forum for me to use.

Host OS : Win 7
Guest OS : Win 10 Tech Preview installed in VMware Player.

I have 3 questions/problems.......

1. Windows Update is set at Manual in my host OS. But, my guest OS is set at Auto.
I tried to changed it but the option is grayed out.
See screenshot at the end.

2. I also tried to "check for updates" and received an error code 8024402C.

3. My host OS is on WiFi but my guest OS is on Ethernet. Don't know how to change that.

Image 8.png

As you know it's a Preview and it's not complete yet...thus some things wont' work right or just not implemented yet. I would see what others are reporting and see if there's any work arounds that might pertain to your particular situation.

I thought the other forum was from the same group, but maybe not....

Last edited:
I think Microsoft wants Windows update left on because any updates to the os will be updated via Windows updates.

As for the error code did you reboot after installing windows?

You may need to install your Wi-Fi driver in order to access the signal. Try using Windows 8.1 drivers or even win 7 drivers.

As for the error code did you reboot after installing windows?

You may need to install your Wi-Fi driver in order to access the signal. Try using Windows 8.1 drivers or even win 7 drivers.

Yes. Forgot about the old-fashioned "reboot" routine.
That did the trick. Found 2 updates and installed them manually.
Thank you.

As to the wifi issue, it really borderlines irrelevant. Don't even know why I brought it up. Sorry.
My guest os is running on a host os which is on WiFi.
As long as I can search internet in Win 10, who cares if it says Ethernet or WiFi. My laptop is not Ethernet connected.

Case close.

I notice in the terms of use for the Insider Program it says MS may have access to your computer. On a VM would that simply be the VM or your Host also? I worry about security more now with all of the recent hackings lately.
Joe

WiFi drivers have been a problem with many computers, since Windows 8. As kemical says, you will need to find them and install yourself, for the moment, anyway. And I would confirm that the automatic update situation is deliberate .With automatic updates selected, as on earlier OSs, Microsoft have always had access to your computer, in order to check what updates are needed.

I notice in the terms of use for the Insider Program it says MS may have access to your computer. On a VM would that simply be the VM or your Host also? I worry about security more now with all of the recent hackings lately.
Joe

Legally it is both but as a practical matter vmware blocks it getting past the virtual environment into the host system.

There was a note that MS updates are turned on and cannot be turned off. This is so any updates are always installed to keep the OS at an equal level for all trying this release.

I've got VMware Workstation 7 and the ISO won't load Windows 8 worked on it OK when it was in beta. I'll try downloading the newest VMware Player on a different PC when I have the time.
Joe

I've got VMware Workstation 7 and the ISO won't load Windows 8 worked on it OK when it was in beta. I'll try downloading the newest VMware Player on a different PC when I have the time.
Joe

10.0.3 is the current but it may be worth holding off as 11 comes out in December.

When I bought Workstation years ago it was because the free VMware player would not create the virtual machine at that time. After I do the Oct updates from MS and make images I may uninstall Workstation 7 and install the latest free VMware player and see if that works with Windows 10.
Joe

Back