Windows 7 Win 7 and Symantec Ghost

Ty Tabor

Thought I would post this question here and I realize it is a long shot at this point, but I'm sure someone has come across something similar and can shed some light on my issue.

I am having an issue using Win7 RC with Symantec Ghost 8.0. The program installs fine and runs, however my speed for casting out an image gets squelched down to the equivalent of 10 mb/minute which causes the images I cast to take 1 1/2 hours to send out.

I typically can cast an image in 5-8 minutes and at speeds of 5-800 mb/minute running it under XP Sp3

I was able to cast an image at these speeds with Win 7 twice, but now all I get are these way slow speeds.

I have a notebook with a Intel Pro1000 PL nic and my cpu is a Intel Centrino DUO.

I have played with practically every setting on the nic from Link Speed and Duplex to Master Slave to several others and I have yet to figure out why it gets choked off at those speeds.

As far as I can tell I have the most up to date driver since obviously 7 drivers aren't readily available.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful as I am a huge fan of 7, but because of this I had to go back to XP for now.

Thanks!!!:razz:

Symantec Ghost

Although I have Ghost 8, 9 & 12, I have found that the BEST (and most reliable) backup program is Ghost 2003. This version ONLY works under DOS. So I boot into dos using a small disk-on-key, then with the batch file GHOST.BAT:

@echo off
c:\Ghost\mouse
c:\Ghost\ghost

I run the (8-bit program Ghost 2003). My Win7 HD is a 500Gb Sata with partition 24Gb for Win7. I takes me about 8 minutes to make a backup.

NOTE: I only put Windows on my C: drive. All other programs go on D: The more programs you install on the same partition as your Windows, makes GHOST image more time to make.

P.S. I have tried programs like ACRONIS True Image, but this program takes between 1.5 to 2 hours to make a backup.
True that the advantage of this program is that you can tell it to backup ONLY the new registry of programs added to your computer since last image, which Symantec's doesn't do.

Thanks for the advice. I am more puzzled as to why under XP I can cast and create at acceptable speeds yet as soon as I did a clean install of 7 it gets choked off. Everything else with 7 seems to work great....this was the only glitch I was having so far.

I have tried this 3 different times, all clean installs. Actually the last time was on a brand new hard drive as well. I typically have the OS on one partition and the rest on what is left, but that hasn't mattered in this scenario.

Thanks.

Have an answer

I noticed that this wasn't answered, it's a know issue with Vista and Media Center, carried over to Win 7, (Just tested and Retail Pro has same issue)

Media Center and Media Player have bandwidth metering assigned to them, but one or the other is always running, and the bug is the throttle ends up being for all traffic. :(

The good news is for 99% of users this really won't be a problem or noticed. But for us power users....

The fix is to edit the registry. Rather than post the boring information, here is a link to a blog with the instructions.

Now if only I could get a RAID array cheaply enough (free) to support gigabit...

AWESOME!! Thanks for the reply. I will give this a try and post my findings. Nice work and thanks for sharing that link!!

Back