Windows 7 win-7 host win-xp client laptop internet connection

reformedman

Hello everyone, first post here.

I just reformatted my son's dell inspiron 9300 laptop xp machine and want to get him connected back into the internet.
I have done this about a year ago and don't remember how I did it.
I have researched for about 3-4 hours now and can't find info on this antiquated windows xp system.

I have windows 7 installed on the host desktop which is connected to my linksys router.
I have my laptop windows 7 working fine with internet.
I have another son's windows 7 laptop working fine with the internet.
My other boy with the windows xp doesn't even see the internet wireless available connections icon in the tray.

Could you please help me connect the win-xp laptop to the internet?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Look on the laptop and write down the service tag number.
Then go here Link Removed - Invalid URL
Plug in the service tag number and download and install the correct driver for the laptop's integrated wireless network adapter.
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
I downloaded the file:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
R85255.EXE (6MB)

and that got me a new icon on my tray.
Local Area Connection (a network cable is unplugged) is on the tray.

I checked in my control panel - network connections
and I now see a new icon there called Local Area Connection.
The one that was there earlier called 1394 Connection, is still there and Enabled.

What should I do next?

Last edited:
Not sure. We were talking about a wireless problem and it looks like you have downloaded and installed a driver for your wired adapter.
Does the laptop in fact have an integrated wireless adapter or are you using a third party solution? Does Dell show a wireless adapter driver for your model when you look for drivers at their site?
Is device manager showing any indication of another device (network controller) as being present but perhaps without drivers installed, perhaps under "Other Devices", or anything with a yellow symbol associated with it?
Can you plug in the laptop with a copper Cat5 cable and get on the internet that way?
Had the laptop been working wirelessly prior to your recent format and install? Can you tell us the reason for the clean install? Can you provide the system specs for that computer including Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number and any other numbers of significance which might help us help you identify the product and what it might need regarding a suitable wireless driver?

EDIT: According to this Link Removed - Invalid URL it would seem that you could have any number of wireless adapters installed from the factory. They could be either Dell branded or Intel, etc., I am hoping that the service tag number might help narrow down the specifics for you.
In addition you may have to install R130907.EXE (7MB) under Applications, which is the Dell Quick Set Utility which supports your function keys and allows you to turn on and off you wireless network adapter.
You may also want to check out R120775.EXE (7MB) under Utilities, which I believe supports some automatic updates from Dell which may also help.
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
Hello reformedman,

Randy has you headed in the right direction.

In your "Device Manager" under "Network Adapters" there should be 3 adapters listed;
1. Dell Wireless WLAN Card (possibly 1395)
2. Marvell Yukon PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (possibly this, 88E8040)
3. Microsoft Virtual WIFI Miniport Adapter

In "Control Panel" under "Programs" then "Programs and Features" you should have these 3 as installed software;

1. Dell Wireless WLAN Card
2. Intel PROSet/Wireless Software
3. Marvell Miniport Driver

These are what's installed on my Dell Inspiron laptop, through Dell.

So, as Randy suggested, "Plug in the service tag number and download and install the correct driver for the laptop's integrated wireless network adapter."

Hope this helps
Don

Thank you both for your help in finally fixing the computer. Here is the concise solution to my particular problem which you guys helped me find:

Download the windows installer found here

Then download the particular internet driver for your computer; for mine it was the following:
R155386.EXE
which will install these:
(R) PRO/Wireless Network Connection
(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

When I did that, and it requested a computer reboot, the computer found a signal.

Back