Windows 7 Win 7 v. XP Network Connection

eddiepscetti

Hi All,

I installed Windows 7 in a dual boot configuration this last weekend, and while I can connect through my network card on Win 7, my connection on XP has gone south. I get the error message that I have limited or no connectivity and everything I tried hasn't worked. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there is a possible fix?

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. ;)

Have you tried just unplugging the ethernet cable from the back of your pc and plugging it back in again? ;) This has happened to me a couple times in XP and that was all I had to do to fix the problem.. Worth a shot.. ;)

I have done everything I can think of, including removing the card from the system entirely. What's really strange is my WiFi and network card both work fine on Windows 7, but not XP. I should add that prior to installing Win 7 everything was good on XP. Could Win 7 somehow stuffed my XP settings?

It sounds more like your router may be getting confused. You may want to check if you are getting the same MAC address on your XP install as your 7 install.

What kind of router do you have? I have yet to have any issue like this with dual boots on my Linksys WRT54GS.

Thanks Camride, I have a Linksys WRT54G that has been working flawlessly for ages. The other computers on the LAN don't have any problems, just this one and only in XP. I'll try doing a reboot on the router when I get home tonight and see if that clears the problem up.

Nope, I'm still getting the same error. I've now unistalled W7 hoping that it may have been causing an issue with no satisfatory results. I'm banging my head against the wall on this one.

For what it's worth, I've also tried setting the router to static IP and have set an IP address on the system.. still nothing.

Ref, no I haven't tried that one but I'll give it a shot. From what I read on the command the problem I'm experiencing doesn't seem to be a socket error (but anything is worth a try.) I have also tried connecting straight to the modem and rebooted and I'm still having the problem with connectivity.

The other thing that I noticed in the status is that packets are being sent and incrementing but the receive packets seem to be static at 300 and not incrementing.

Ref, you're bloody brilliant! That completely fixed the problem and I am now back online. If you ever get down to Australia I hope you'll let me know. I owe you a six pack of your favorite beer!

Ref, you're bloody brilliant! That completely fixed the problem and I am now back online. If you ever get down to Australia I hope you'll let me know. I owe you a six pack of your favorite beer!

Glad to know it worked,about those 6 pack there's always fedex :D

Cheers mate

Glad to hear you got it all fixed! I am surprised though, I wouldn't have thought a winsock reset would fix that issue. Good to hear! :)

Back