Windows 7 Win 7 x64 Professional, BSOD after Logo screen (System_service_exception, STOP: 0x0000003B), seems t

vinhcit

Hi all,

Please help me if you can, as my main desktop is down. Thanks a lot for your time. Please read on. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Problem Summary . The machine has only 1 OS: Windows 7 x64 Professional. If I try to boot normally past the Windows logo screen, I'll receive a BSOD and the system will restart.

Details
. Last night I right clicked the Windows Explorer button on the Windows 7 taskbar and noticed the button was malfunctioning. I didn't see any pinned short cuts or recently visited folders while I normally had had 6-8 for each category. There were just the generic "Windows Explorer" and "Unpin this program from the taskbar." So I decided to restart the machine hoping the problem would magically vaporize.
The machine finished POST but right after the Windows 7 logo screen, I got a BSOD (screen below). Then it restarted and recommended me to use Startup Repair. I used Startup Repair but was told that Startup Repair couldn't automatically fix the errors (I allowed it to use System Restore). Then, Startup Repair shutted my computer down. When I turned on the power, the cycle repeated: BSOD after logo screen --> restart --> Startup Repair with no result --> shut down.

Things I have Tried .

• Booted with Safe Mode with Networking. I got into Windows and was able to transfer personal files to a backup. I haven't tried other Safe Mode options.
  • Ran error checking for my OS drive (right click in safe mode-->properties-->tools-->check now). The check produced and fixed 3 errors. Then I left the computer because something came up. When I returned, I saw Startup Repair telling me it couldn't automatically fixed the errors and wanted to shut the computer down. It seemed disk checking finished, the system restarted but the problem persisted.
  • While in Safe Mode with Networking, uninstalled Nvidia GTX 275 driver. Then I restarted but the problem was still there.
  • Ran a memory test using a tool provided by Windows: spamming F8, I got to the boot menu, I chose Repair this Computer, then selected Memory test. The test returned no error.
  • I tried System Restore using the another option during Repair this Computer (see above). The only point I could return to was before a AVG 9.0 update . Nonetheless, the restore didn't completely successfully . In fact, it returned an error about 10s after it started.
Other Thoughts

• The reason I uninstalled the Nvidia display driver was I had been getting screen artifacts for a few weeks. I don't overclock my cards and the artifacts appeared while gaming (playing L4D2 which used the non-demanding source engine) as well as normal desktop use. In the past, I had a few troubles updating the display driver. In particular, I noticed my FPS' went down after installing some 190+ driver (can't remember the exact number). I tried to roll back to 186 by uninstalling the 190+ driver and installing 186. But the 186 installer gave an error saying it couldn't detect my hardware. So I was forced to reinstall the 190+ driver. The installer for the 190+ driver returned no error.
  • AVG 9.0 finished a full scan right before I started to note the aforementioned malfunctioning of the taskbar.
  • I can run check disk again and report the result here, if necessary.
  • Similarly, I can run system restore again and report the error message here, if needed.
  • Finally, I can upload error log files if someone needs them and tells me how to get them and where to upload them.

Relevant System Info

• Hardware age: all purchased within less than a year
  • Windows 7 x64 Professional installed on a SSD
  • A pair of internal mechanical hard drives in RAID 1 along with some external USB hard drives
  • CPU Core i7 920
  • x58 3x SLI EVGA motherboard
  • 2 GTX 275 in SLI
  • 850W Corsair PSU (theoretically plenty of wattage to power my system)
  • Creative Labs sound card
  • 6GB triple channel 1600 DDR3 RAM running at 1066
  • No overclocking
  • Plenty of air cooling

Screenshots

BSOD

Startup Repair error

Hi all,

Please help me if you can, as my main desktop is down. Thanks a lot for your time. Please read on. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Problem Summary . The machine has only 1 OS: Windows 7 x64 Professional. If I try to boot normally past the Windows logo screen, I'll receive a BSOD and the system will restart.

Details
. Last night I right clicked the Windows Explorer button on the Windows 7 taskbar and noticed the button was malfunctioning. I didn't see any pinned short cuts or recently visited folders while I normally had had 6-8 for each category. There were just the generic \\"Windows Explorer\\" and \\"Unpin this program from the taskbar.\\" So I decided to restart the machine hoping the problem would magically vaporize.
The machine finished POST but right after the Windows 7 logo screen, I got a BSOD (screen below). Then it restarted and recommended me to use Startup Repair. I used Startup Repair but was told that Startup Repair couldn't automatically fix the errors (I allowed it to use System Restore). Then, Startup Repair shutted my computer down. When I turned on the power, the cycle repeated: BSOD after logo screen --> restart --> Startup Repair with no result --> shut down.

Things I have Tried .

• Booted with Safe Mode with Networking. I got into Windows and was able to transfer personal files to a backup. I haven't tried other Safe Mode options.
  • Ran error checking for my OS drive (right click in safe mode-->properties-->tools-->check now). The check produced and fixed 3 errors. Then I left the computer because something came up. When I returned, I saw Startup Repair telling me it couldn't automatically fixed the errors and wanted to shut the computer down. It seemed disk checking finished, the system restarted but the problem persisted.
  • While in Safe Mode with Networking, uninstalled Nvidia GTX 275 driver. Then I restarted but the problem was still there.
  • Ran a memory test using a tool provided by Windows: spamming F8, I got to the boot menu, I chose Repair this Computer, then selected Memory test. The test returned no error.
  • I tried System Restore using the another option during Repair this Computer (see above). The only point I could return to was before a AVG 9.0 update . Nonetheless, the restore didn't completely successfully . In fact, it returned an error about 10s after it started.
Other Thoughts

• The reason I uninstalled the Nvidia display driver was I had been getting screen artifacts for a few weeks. I don't overclock my cards and the artifacts appeared while gaming (playing L4D2 which used the non-demanding source engine) as well as normal desktop use. In the past, I had a few troubles updating the display driver. In particular, I noticed my FPS' went down after installing some 190+ driver (can't remember the exact number). I tried to roll back to 186 by uninstalling the 190+ driver and installing 186. But the 186 installer gave an error saying it couldn't detect my hardware. So I was forced to reinstall the 190+ driver. The installer for the 190+ driver returned no error.
  • AVG 9.0 finished a full scan right before I started to note the aforementioned malfunctioning of the taskbar.
  • I can run check disk again and report the result here, if necessary.
  • Similarly, I can run system restore again and report the error message here, if needed.
  • Finally, I can upload error log files if someone needs them and tells me how to get them and where to upload them.

Relevant System Info

• Hardware age: all purchased within less than a year
  • Windows 7 x64 Professional installed on a SSD
  • A pair of internal mechanical hard drives in RAID 1 along with some external USB hard drives
  • CPU Core i7 920
  • x58 3x SLI EVGA motherboard
  • 2 GTX 275 in SLI
  • 850W Corsair PSU (theoretically plenty of wattage to power my system)
  • Creative Labs sound card
  • 6GB triple channel 1600 DDR3 RAM running at 1066
  • No overclocking
  • Plenty of air cooling

Screenshots

BSOD

Startup Repair error

Hello,

Thanks for the excellent report this make lot easier for us to troubleshoot. First thing you need to do is since you said he can login under safe mode login to Windows and go to C:Windows\Minidump and there you'll find some files move it to a temporary location and Zip it and post it so we could analysis it and give you a better solution.

Good Luck,
Captain

I reinstalled Windows!

Hola Captain Jack,

I tried disabling services/devices and restoring system. Nothing worked. So I just reinstalled Windows (after a SSD firmware update which wiped the drive clean). Things seem to be normal again.

Thanks for reading my post and replying. And thanks for the compliment. Have a nice day! :p

Hola Captain Jack,

I tried disabling services/devices and restoring system. Nothing worked. So I just reinstalled Windows (after a SSD firmware update which wiped the drive clean). Things seem to be normal again.

Thanks for reading my post and replying. And thanks for the compliment. Have a nice day! :p

Glad that you got it working ... Thank You for Posting Back !!

Good Luck,
Captain

Back