Windows 10 Win10 does not let me change the DNS

Darjeeling

Hi,

I frequently change my adapter settings the DNS for TCP/IPv4. But since my update to Windows 10 this option looks like completely locked.

Right now I have a manual DNS server address inserted (not sure if I ever did put it on my own or not ?) and I want to change it to automatically.But when closing the setup I receive the error message "An unexpected condition occured. Not all of your requested changes in settins could be made."

please see image below:
DNS1.PNG

DNS2.PNG

DNS3.PNG

May someone know why this happens?

Looking forward to your help or comments!
Darjeeling!

Last edited:
The image above shows you have vmware installed... a Network Bridge will need to be removed before you can change the settings of its parts.

p.s. off topic but why would you want to keep mucking about with your dns... it's your computer mate but that sort of defeats the point of having a dns doesn't it?

The image above shows you have vmware installed... a Network Bridge will need to be removed before you can change the settings of its parts.

..Thanks a lot, I haven't seen it!

p.s. off topic but why would you want to keep mucking about with your dns... it's your computer mate but that sort of defeats the point of having a dns doesn't it?

:red_smile: ....I didn't want to offend anyone!

Assuming you are left clicking the VMware Bridge Protocol and clicking Uninstall and getting this error. This error means that it can't find the driver to remove it, so you probably just have some cruft stuck in the registry. Attached is a picture for the Virtualbox Bridge driver which works the same as the VMware one. You will need to find the CLSID that corresponds to the VMware bridge driver and delete it and reboot. In the picture {7AF6B074-048D-4444-BFCE-1ECC8BC5CB76} at 1 is the Virtualbox CLSID if you see a second ethernet adapter then you need to delete the CLSID assocaited with that which is {7B967A80-B3A3-41BF-8549-D872661B0997} at 2 in the picture. Th e CLSIDs will probably be different for you.
vmnet.png

fyi if you still have vmware installed on that machine then you should have a program called "Virtual Network Editor"... that removes Microsoft control of your network settings and is ime the best place to edit things.
Screenshot (135).png

Thanks, finally I've got it solved and deleted the VMware Bridge Protocol !!! Did take me a whole while to find the right CLSID in the regedit !!!

Thanks again !!!

Thanks, finally I've got it solved and deleted the VMware Bridge Protocol !!! Did take me a whole while to find the right CLSID in the regedit !!!

Thanks again !!!

Extra info:
I use VirtualBox and have none of above problems...
The Bridged Networking Driver doesn't protest if I change DNS settings on the real Adapter.

OTT

Extra info:
I use VirtualBox and have none of above problems...
The Bridged Networking Driver doesn't protest if I change DNS settings on the real Adapter.

OTT

Now with VB version 5 finally you can drag and drop, but it is still very difficult that the guest recognizes an USB stick.

Besides, for some reason VB fails on my new Win10.

VB failure 1.PNG

VB failure 2.PNG

Hi I too am having the same problem and I usually connect my computer to biomedical devices for communicating with them. Therefore @ussnorway, sometimes you DO NEED to change the IP settings. I would appreciate if rather than being rude, you could provide a solution to this problem other than "remove VMware ". I didn't upgrade to Windows 10 to invite day-to-day problems with work.

Hi I too am having the same problem and I usually connect my computer to biomedical devices for communicating with them. Therefore @ussnorway, sometimes you DO NEED to change the IP settings. I would appreciate if rather than being rude, you could provide a solution to this problem other than "remove VMware ". I didn't upgrade to Windows 10 to invite day-to-day problems with work.
1. I'll let the rude comment go.
2. I didn't say the op needs to remove vmware so perhaps you should read the post again?
3. modern networks use switches (vmware calls their the 'vertical network editor') and you can use it to set a physical network to have one network address in place A and a different network address in place B... the old ip4 rules no longer apply today mate.

Best of luck with it.

Assuming you are left clicking the VMware Bridge Protocol and clicking Uninstall and getting this error. This error means that it can't find the driver to remove it, so you probably just have some cruft stuck in the registry. Attached is a picture for the Virtualbox Bridge driver which works the same as the VMware one. You will need to find the CLSID that corresponds to the VMware bridge driver and delete it and reboot. In the picture {7AF6B074-048D-4444-BFCE-1ECC8BC5CB76} at 1 is the Virtualbox CLSID if you see a second ethernet adapter then you need to delete the CLSID assocaited with that which is {7B967A80-B3A3-41BF-8549-D872661B0997} at 2 in the picture. Th e CLSIDs will probably be different for you.View attachment 30563
How do I find it?

Back
Top Bottom