Windows 7 Win7 or Win XP

Windows 7 for me. It is not only more secure but have found it is a much smoother operating system.

The way I use my computer I have found very little benefit to win7 over XP.

The ability to rename files without the extension being highlighted so far is the best thing I have found.

Whats is annoying me in 7 is

- the new volume control. Over an hour to get my MPC to output passthrough AC3-DTS through my Audigy1's SPDIF correctly.

- no custom toolbars (not on the taskbar. I am talking about creating new toolbars)
Here.. Like this

YouTube - My old WinXP setup. Win7 cant do toolbars ;(

- the menu & layout changes are pretty useless. At least there are hacks to get things back to sort of normal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Forums/Windows.png

- also programs I have used for years no-longer work. Vfapi which I used for frame-serving during my DVD backups is now not an option. Can't get Lame to install into Virtualdub.

Basically win7 is new. I will solve half the issues and live with the other half. But if you are happy on winXP and it does everything you need it to do for you. Why change?

- also programs I have used for years no-longer work. Vfapi which I used for frame-serving during my DVD backups is now not an option. Can't get Lame to install into Virtualdub.

if you have 7Pro or better you can install MS free XP-VM. old XP software will run in it just fine.

I'm 100% for Windows 7.

I ran it on my old Dell computer in 32 bit and it worked better then XP, faster and more reliable.
On my new Falcon Northwest computer in 64 bit it works even better.

I have had almost no problems with old software or drivers.

The two exceptions were...

Adobe Indesign CS2 would not run on 64 bit computer and I couldn't find drivers for my Epson scanner.
I upgraded Indesign to CS4 and found an app that runs my scanner so now I'm all set.

Even my old Tomb Raider games run fine, I really didn't think that they would.

My favorite thing in Windows 7 is the snap feature. It may seem like a little thing but it is a great time saver.
Just grab a window and drag it sideways until the cursor hits the edge of the screen and it reformats so that the window takes half the screen. I use this constantly to show 2 windows side by side on the screen. I can drag links from my E-Mail to my browser or Word whatever.

Windows 7 has been much more stable then XP for me.

I have been using it for about a year (I was a beta tester) and have had very good reliability.

My new computer has 8 gigs of ram so I had no choice about going to 64 bit.
If you are going to be installing it on an older computer you might want to go with the 32 bit version.
If you buy a retail copy you will get both disks.
This will avoid any driver problems, both Indesign CS2 and my scanner worked fine in 32 bit.

Mike

Windows 7 definitely. Every time I use Xp I find myself frustrated by what it can't do that Win7 can. I just love the new start menu. To open anything on my computer its just "WinKey+"Program Name">Enter" So easy. Multitasking is 100% smooth and Libraries are wonderful.

I'm not able compare because I use XP, have free trail for Windows 7,
then I submit my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom