Windows 8 win8 will not boot

nichos

Extraordinary Member
Hi,
After clean dust & rebuild my PC had a bit of trouble with the PSU which I sorted out.

I booted win8 ok but on next boot for 5-10mnts was "analyzing the PC" then another 5-10m said "will auto repair PC" then after 10-15m said " cannot repair, go advanced" another 10-15 m said "no good shut it down & choose another OS"

In disbeleaf I tried this a few times more.

I am in XP now & works OK.

Win8 worked OK for months & liked it

Eny help, before I "EsyBCD" it, will be apreciated. ....thanx .....nick

Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel, Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Maxtor sata 160gb, OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu, X45, dulaboot XP/Win8

When you boot, and look at the boot Device Menu, what options do you have?

Explaining your system setup and giving us a Disk Management picture (snipping tool) might help sort out the problem.

Since you have tried it a few times, I assume you rebooted when you tried.

You are booting XP using the Windows 8 boot menu setup?

Sorry mate,

I can not find a better way to put it.

You have all my sysstem's details in front of you showing dual-boot, what would one see then, choice w8 or earlier, xp.

How can you retry without rebooting.

Your last line, what else if w8 is dualbooting with xp. .......nick

I have a full CD w8 pro

I nstalled it in my XP system creating a dualboot. Frequently I chose one or tother.

I am asking here so that I may find a way when I choose w8 it boots it like before.

In starting the PC, the Bios's "boot priority" does not show my CD drive, only HD, Flopy & ATAPI (whatever that is), I put my w8 CD in, start the PC but it goes right passed it & boots to the usual choice, 8 or XP.

BUT,
1. when I boot in XP my CD drive is recognised by the Bios, & shows also in win. expr & runs any Cd I put in except the win8.

2. If I insert the w8 CD it does not run nor shows in win. explorer.

Can anybody make any sence of that? ....thanx ....nick

Sorry to ask so many questions, but the information needs to be precise to even try to figure out what might be happening. For instance, if two hard drives were involved, the boot files may on the one which might have change position as far as primary drive.

You say you are still showing the options of Windows 8 or XP for booting. Windows 8 will jump into a Recovery scenario for specific reasons. It might be trying to repair the boot files, or some type of corruption, or a driver problem. Do you think the Power Supply problem could have been involved? Could something have been damaged?

Since you installed Windows 8 with your DVD, it seems it would be good and should boot. So I do not understand why it does not show as a boot device with the Windows 8 DVD inserted. DVD drives have separate lasers for CDs and DVDs. Perhaps the one for DVDs is not working. I had to check my Windows XP Install CD to make sure it was not actually a DVD. Older DVD drives could also have problems with Windows7/8 DVDs, but since you have already installed with it, that would not seem to be the case.

You said Windows 8 booted originally when you restarted the repaired system. Did it ever boot into Windows 8 or just go straight to the Repair? Can you use the F8 key during boot to get to the Repair options?

Your posts are a little contradictory and confusing, hence Saltgrass's confusion.
First, maybe just semantics, but the install media would be a DVD, not a CD.
Your Bios must show your DVD/CD drive, otherwise that is where your problem starts and ends.
First. Have another look in your bios and see if you do have (you must!) have the option to boot into the DVD drive.
Then post back.

Sorry I cannot explain otherwise

1. I have only one Seagate HD & in it is dualboot XP & w8.

2. Only one drive, the drive I installed OS's for the last 15 years, & works perfect whatever you put in it.

3. In starting the PC from cold:-

a) go to Bios, go to "boot priority" my drive (BENQ) is not listed only ATAPI (whatever that is), Flopy & HD, in that order.

b) I put my 4.5" w8 4.5inch disc in the drive, I start the PC but it goes right passed it & boots to the usual choice, 8 or XP.

c) I boot to XP, my 4.5" drive is recognised by the Bios, & shows also in win. expr & runs any 4.5" disc I put in, except the win8.

d) If I insert the w8 4.5" disc it does not run nor show in win. explorer.

Can anybody make any sence of that? ....thanx ....nick

Last edited:
Forgot answering the following:-

1. After cleaning & reassembly the PC was started, chose win8, booted as always in it.

2. At the next start for 5-10mnts was "analyzing the PC" then another 5-10m said "will auto repair PC" then after 10-15m said "cannot repair, go advanced" another 10-15 m said "no good shut it down & choose another OS"

3. Rebooted several times with same results.

4. I will try your F8 key during boot to get to the Repair options, but goes in it on its own anyway!!

It sounds like a driver failure issue do to the age of the hardware installed, in this case the CD/DVD drive. It shows up in the BIOS under XP but not under 8.

Windows 8 recommends (requires) that the BIOS and the chipset to be updated for the OS to work properly. This may be the underlying issue. Also make sure you have the latest driver installed for all your hardware.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5K_PremiumWiFiAP/#support_Download_30

After checking your mobo for available drivers, I see that it only supports up to windows 7 32/64 bit and not windows 8. This is another issue which may be a contributing factor for your problem.

Hi,
After clean dust & rebuild my PC had a bit of trouble with the PSU which I sorted out.

I booted win8 ok but on next boot for 5-10mnts was "analyzing the PC" then another 5-10m said "will auto repair PC" then after 10-15m said " cannot repair, go advanced" another 10-15 m said "no good shut it down & choose another OS"

In disbeleaf I tried this a few times more.

I am in XP now & works OK.

Win8 worked OK for months & liked it

Eny help, before I "EsyBCD" it, will be apreciated. ....thanx .....nick

Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel, Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Maxtor sata 160gb, OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu, X45, dulaboot XP/Win8

Can you please show us a snapshot of the Disk Management window? I just want to check something. Cheers!

here it is.

The F8 on bootup gave the device priority, it showed my BENQ & booted the win8 in it & asked to install win8 which I had alook at it but do not remember the rest. In any case I do not want to ruin what I had. If that is the case I'll use EasyBCD to throw 8 out.

The option repair iwas same as I discribed before.

Attachments

• DiskMan.jpg
    DiskMan.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 386
here it is.

The F8 on bootup gave the device priority, it showed my BENQ & booted the win8 in it & asked to install win8 which I had alook at it but do not remember the rest. In any case I do not want to ruin what I had. If that is the case I'll use EasyBCD to throw 8 out.

The option repair iwas same as I discribed before.

Sorry but i actually want to see an expanded version where I can see what is inside each partition.
But anyway, don't bother if you have decided to keep what you have.
But one piece of advice, Dual boot is okay to do on one hard drive, but it is likely to give you more headache than doing a dual boot on separate hard drives. I never do dual boot on a single hd. It's a complete mess.
Cheers!

Sorry. But, just for the record. Since XP, I have only found a need for one internal HD. I have had to move up in size, over the years and with subsequent Computer purchases. I have always had a dual boot situation, and occasionally, triple boot (which I have at present) It is quite common for users to have a dual boot on only a single hard disk.
To date, I have never had a boot problem

Well, as long as you are satisfied with the performance of your machine in terms of speed and you have a lot of experience with it, it's ok. Because you know exactly what to do when you run into trouble. I have nothing against it. I didn't say don't do it. I just said you are more likely to run into bigger problems when something goes wrong specially when uninstalling dual boot. In my case, I just mostly play around with OSes when I dual boot and I don't keep them for good. My main OS is 7 ( I have Win 8 on a separate machine) and I've been playing around with Linux, Win 8.1 preview, etc. Sometimes I just do it in VM. But nowadays, hard drives are cheap, you can stack up hard drives on your machine as much as your machine can accommodate it. It is not a matter of needing more storage space. I just don't want to mess up my Win 7 setup by playing away from it. :) Cheers!

neither have I for years, eccept now!!!

I am looking for some gend up chaps to recover w8.

Is this expanded enough?

Attachments

• DiskMan.jpg
    DiskMan.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 345
neither have I for years, eccept now!!!

I am looking for some gend up chaps to recover w8.

Is this expanded enough?

Not really. I wanted to see the partitions marked as "active" etc. But you know what, maybe just do the EasyBCD thing. That software is awesome!

Hi

Any chance that you have access to another computer that you can put the Windows 8 install disk in and see if it reads it?
Seems strange that your DVD drive can read any other disk and not the Windows disk.

Are there any marks or anything on the disk?

Can you put another disk in the drive that is a DVD not a CD and make sure it reads it?

One thing you could try is removing the DVD drive in Device Manager in XP and then reboot and let Windows reinstall it.
The will sometimes sort out problems with it if there is some kind of driver glitch.

I would definitely run easyBCD and see what it shows, when you run it from XP.

Personally I always have 2 internal hard drives and save an image of the Windows drive to the second one.

I've never had my primary drive fail but you never know, I've seen it happen to other people, in fact I have one here right now, that I just checked for a friend, I can't get it to read, and they had everything they have on it.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

this is from post #11 when I was advised to insert win disc & press F8.

".....The F8 on bootup gave the device priority, it showed my BENQ & booted the win8 in it & asked to install win8 which I had a look at it but do not remember the rest. In any case I do not want to ruin what I had...."

Back