Windows 7 Window/Font problem W7

Landers

Honorable Member
I think that some fonts were manually deleted from my C:\Windows\Fonts folder and now some of my W7 system windows are cutting off text and even portions of buttons. Does anyone know how to reset/install the fonts that came with my W7 machine or otherwise fix this? I am attaching a gif that shows the problem. The windows cannot by resized.

Attachments

• W7problem.gif
    W7problem.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 447
I think the basic windows font is Segoe UI for the Message boxes. There should be another copy of it on your system, but you might be able to replace it by running the System File Checker.

Open an Administrative Command prompt (Winkey and type cmd, then CTRL+SHIFT+Enter). Type SFC /scannow and let it finish. Let us know if it shows a message about not being able to repair files.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\anon>cd c:\

c:\>SFC /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

c:\>

I have these two folders, but when I click on the font files therein, the font is like writing.

Segoe Print
Segoe Script

Found many files scanning for C:\Windows\*Segoe*.*

Attachments

• Fonts.gif
    Fonts.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
In addition to what you show, you should see a Segoe UI and Segoe UI Symbol Regular.

We can try doing it this way. If you look in the C:\Windows\winsxs folder you will see many folders labeled amd64 or something similar. Since I have an x64 system, I will use it to illustrate, but you can do a search for the segoeui to find similar files.

Go down the list to the "microsoft-windows-font-truetype" and look for the segoeui folder. Open that and you should see 7 .ttf files. If you right click each one, or select them all, you should be able to use the install option. I cannot try myself, so let us know. There may be other ways to restore fonts.

After you do that, right click the desktop and select Personalize. Then select the Windows Color option and Advanced Appearance settings... In the Item bar, select Message Box and look down to see if it shows Segoe UI size 9. If it does not, make note of what it does show the select the Segoe UI option. I hope this step will not be necessary, but you need to check.

I am pretty much guessing that this is the font involved, so not completely sure, but you need to restore it no matter what.

WOW! Thanks so much. It is back in order now. I have been bugged by this for some time and couldn't get anything to google up on it. I am going to try to attach a picture of the fixed window again.

See your in Dallas - hello from Abilene, TX and thanks gain.

W7noproblem.gif

Back