Windows 10 Windows 10 changed my display??

firewire

Honorable Member
I came home from work and discovered that my computer had been updated to Windows 10. Pretty underhanded move on Microshaft's part, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. Everything seems fine except now when I open Photoshop everything is so tiny I can't really work in the program anymore. Attached is a screenshot of what I mean.

I have checked the display settings and they are all correct for my monitors, but as you can see it's still to dang small. Also, whenever I hover over the menu items and try to choose one of them from the pop out list it flicks to the next menu item and I can't choose what I wanted. It's very annoying and I can't figure out what's wrong.

I joined just to ask about this, because if I can't find a solution I'm going back to Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• toosmall.jpg
    toosmall.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 180
A couple of things I would check.....first and foremost, is your PC/laptop compatible for the OS upgrade....form a hardware stand point? If not, I would revert back to your previous OS....you have 30 days to do so. After that it's permanent. Are you using a MS account to login to the system....required since windows 8? As a OS upgrade....they can be temperamental at times which usually shows some bugs/quirks like your having. If you're happy and like windows 10.....you can always do a clean install....and yes your product key from your previous OS will take.

Hi Bassfisher, thanks for the info. I don't know what a MS account is. It's my regular desktop computer and I know it is compatible. Maybe my graphics card isn't I'm not sure. How do I revert back to Windows 7?

Hi firewire:

Bassfisher was referring to something Microsoft calls the WINDOWS 10 COMPATIBILITY TEST. Did you run this prior to your Win10 upgrade? It doesn't sound like you did. If you are using an older version of Photoshop or other apps from the earlier version of windows on your computer, it's probably not compatible with Windows 10. The Win10 Compatibility Test would have told you this. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't publicize this well, and the have had programs doing this for the last 15 years, so the average home user isn't aware that it exists, or that it's needed, or even what it does.:(

The program checks first of all if your PC or laptop meets the minimum hardware specs needed to run the new Windows OS (Win10) such as your CPU, BIOS, Motherboard, RAM speed, GPU card/chip, etc. If it doesn't meet those specs, the program tells you this. Next, the Test checks your drivers on the above devices as well as applications or programs. Microsoft is pretty good being able to tell when an old program will no longer work on their new OS; as many of the big companies (such as Adobe who makes Photoshop) submits their programs to Microsoft for certification with the new Windows version (Win10 in this case).

If you don't resolve the hardware specs, that computer will never run Win10 and must be replaced. You say the upgrade completed, so it's probably compatible at least at the hardware level. However, it probably has programs you had on there such as Photoshop which are NOT compatible with Win10. The best way to check this is to go to the program manufacturer's website (Adobe in this case) and see if they have a new version on their website that states it's Win10 compatible; if so, and that version number is newer than the version of the program you are trying to run, yours is outdated and must be upgraded or replaced entirely. The good news is that if you are Registered and Legit owner of the Photoshop program, you can call Adobe and get a discounted upgrade to the new version that is Win10 compatible!

Next, we could help you more if you tell us the Make/Model of your desktop PC. Is it an OEM PC, such as Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, etc.? Or is it a self-built PC or a custom-built PC (bought from a computer shop)?

You're welcome to go back to Win7 as you stated, but you simply didn't have the right information available to you to do the upgrade properly. Lots of us Windows10 Insider Testers ( a large group of volunteers who helped Beta test the Win10 for Microsoft) have asked Microsoft to more widely publicize the Compatibility Test. No luck so far, sorry about that. About 98% of my customers who attempt the Win10 upgrade on their own, fail to do it correctly and then have to pay me or another computer professional to fix what they messed up! On the various Tech forums I volunteer on; we see thousands or even tens of thousands of people who have the same problem you did. And we help then as best we can, but the Win10 is not a self-installable upgrade IMHO, and I tell all my clients this. Most do not listen, as they cannot resist the urge to click the little White Flag in their system tray and assume it will work without any hitches! That's good for me, but bad for MS reputation on the ease-of-use front.

You didn't mention any other problems you were having with Win10 except this one program (Photoshop), so why don't you do the research and contact Adobe and get the new Win10 compatible version of the program and be on your way to better productivity? Of course if you can't afford to do this or just don't like the new Photoshop or just don't like learning new programs, then back to Win7 you go.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi

I'm running Photo Shop CS2, and I'm not seeing any problems as to the menu item size.
What version of Photo Shop are you running?

What size monitor are you running, is it an HD 1920 by 1080 resolution monitor.

Is it only Photoshop that is showing this problem?
Does the Windows display look normal?

Have you checked to see if there is a newer driver for your video card?

Mike

In a nutshell, referring to bigbears post, the upgrade only checks your computer for a couple of very basic items on the hardware. Thesew are
Processor:1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM:1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space:16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card:DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display:800x60

Unfortunately, this does not take into account the possible incompatibilities of your installed third party software. MS give no indication that this is a requirement, and, for the non tech user, this is a big mistake.
But, before giving up, uninstall Photoshop, right click the install executive and try to run it in compatibility mode for Windows 7. It could be that it only needs realigning to the correct and new paths.

I reverted back to Windows 7. All problems solved. Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm using Adobe Creative Suite 6
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4
RAM: 8 GB GSkill

I reverted back to Windows 7. All problems solved. Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm using Adobe Creative Suite 6
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4
RAM: 8 GB GSkill

Yep.....going back to 7 fixed it all right. As your mobo doesn't support windows 10 at all. It only supports XP, Vista and 7. So an excellent call going back to 7.
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 2.1)

This was what I was referring to in post # 2 by being compatible from a hardware stand point. What the mass population fails to understand or realize about window 10; even though it's "FREE" doesn't mean that one should upgrade with out checking first.

You made the right decision in going back to 7.....

Well you all helped with your excellent advice and suggestions. I asked about this in several windows forums, but this one got the best responses. Thanks again. You guys rock.:)

Back