Windows 10 Windows 10 Free Upgrade Help

johansws

I'm running a genuine copy of Windows 7 SP1 on my laptop, and it fills all the requirements for the free upgrade. Still, i cannot for my life get the "Reserve Windows 10" icon to appear in the taskbar! I've updated Windows, uninstalled the updates and reinstalled them again. I tried all the fixes i could find on the internet, and then i downloaded the user made tool on dropbox, and tried them all again through that. Nothing works, and i'm practically out of ideas. Should i wipe the computer, reinstall Windows 7 and try again? Can i get the free upgrade through the Windows 10 ISO, without reserving the update? Thanks for all answers, i need all the help i can get...

Hi John,
you can download the iso here but first use it to upgrade and then you can do a clean install later:
Windows 10

Ma!!! I've been waiting for Windows 10 to download since yesterday and nothing. Then I looked at my "view updates" and Windows 10 had attempted to download and failed 4 times.
I used the Troubleshooter and it fixed 4 things. Still, I'm seeing nothing when I update from the Control Panel or otherwise. Anyone with an idea as to why this is happening?

Thanks for the reply, but will my Windows 7 product key work with the windows 10 ISO?

Sorry let me revise my instructions:

First you need to upgrade using this Tool from Microsoft:
Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

What happens when you upgrade, no matter what, whether youre in the insider preview or not, when you upgrade with that media kit and NOT burn an ISO, it authenticates your original key and issues you a new windows 10 key silently

You can then use the other link to create an iso with the new key.

Let me see if I'm getting you correctly. If I use the tool, it will automatically download Windows 10 and install it. Am I right? I really don't want to do the ISO or burning to the DVD thingy. Please advise. Thanks!

I think it's assumed that windows 10 is already on the system.

If you look near the bottom though it tells you how you can upgrade by simply burning the os to disk and then upgrading. So in summary unless you already have the win 10 upgrade files on your machine you will have to burn a copy to disk and then use that to initially upgrade. If you follow the instructions in the link you'll be good to go:

Right now, I have the Tool and it's giving me two options.
1) Upgrade this PC now
2) Create installation media for another PC
Pardon the denseness, but if I Upgrade the PC now, is that saying I still have to burn to a Disk or will this simply download and install Windows 10. I really do not want to do the burning to the Disk thing.
Also, why is it that Windows 10 that has been reserved is not downloading in the first place? Thank you for your help.

I'd try clicking the the upgrade now and see what it gets you. I doubt it will still want you to burn to disk but in case give it a go.. :)

Thank you for this. I'm going to be away from the computer for a day but when I get back, I'll give this a whirl. Again, thanks for the help.

I just found out from a colleague that it will start the download for you and then upgrade. So yes go for it.

Sorry let me revise my instructions:

First you need to upgrade using this Tool from Microsoft:

What happens when you upgrade, no matter what, whether youre in the insider preview or not, when you upgrade with that media kit and NOT burn an ISO, it authenticates your original key and issues you a new windows 10 key silently

You can then use the other link to create an iso with the new key.
Ah, cheers, all seems to be working, thank you!

Just called Microsoft. The wee gal said the MediaCreationTool would do that because of the high volume of downloads. She says just keep clicking on it. Do I continue to forego work in order to do this or is their a quicker & slicker way to download the amazing Windows 10?

Yup that has worked for some and not for others so give it a try but it's certainly legit.. :)

Just called Microsoft. The wee gal said the MediaCreationTool would do that because of the high volume of downloads. She says just keep clicking on it. Do I continue to forego work in order to do this or is their a quicker & slicker way to download the amazing Windows 10?
You might have to be patient if it won't start using the media creation tool.

I've done the wuauclt.exe /updatenow after checking for updates. It started to download 1035 mb and also said downloading 20 updates. Then suddenly it stopped and said "not needed: 20 updates."
Any idea as to what happened there or should I just give up on this and wait. Also, the gal from Microsoft said when the update comes up eventually on taskbar, I should ignore that because it would ask me to buy a key. Does that sound right to you?

Back