Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Hi

I've got a lot of things to complain about, but I'm just waiting to see it they get fixed in the next build.

Mainly I hope my Keyboard Lights will start working.

My Sound Will Stop Shutting Off.

My Printer Will Start Working again!

Mike

Windows 10: Microsoft hypes the return of the Start menu, more to come January 21st

The event will also see Microsoft unveil the January Technical Preview, which will be when the Windows Insider Program resumes with the release of a new build for testers.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-microsoft-hypes-return-start-menu-more-come-january-21st

An article on Winbeta.com reminds us that the Microsoft 'Build' Conference will also herald the release of the January version of Windows 10. The build number of this release isn't currently known and possibly won't be the recently leaked build 9888 as Microsoft designated it as 'not stable enough':
there's a new leaked build of Windows 10 available on file-sharing sites, but Microsoft isn't encouraging testers to download/install it. That build, 9888, wasn't designated by Microsoft as being stable enough for its Windows Insider testers.
ref:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-next-for-windows-10/
So it could be something relatively new which is quite exciting. I think many of us are itching to get our hands on something new and hopefully also containing one or two fixes for issues.

Does anyone think they have changed apps so when they are closed they actually close? It seems to me they have made it harder to do that in each successive version of Windows 8..

I will be waiting to see what the new Terms of Use are. Not really that interested in continuing the program, especially since I have already been out so long.

They do now close, Saltgrass. You can confirm this in the taskmanager. ( Top right "x" or Alt F4, for example)

I can't confirm anything in Windows 10, but I can confirm in Windows 8.1 they are exhibiting the same behavior as the Windows 10 ones did.

For example, if I open Reader, then close the app by dragging to the bottom and let spin, the app is still showing in Task Manager. I can end that task, reboot my system, and Reader is once again open. Very irritating....

I read one post in the Microsoft forum where the poster stated this is a programmed behavior to allow for faster starts of the app when requested. Sort of seems like a mobile device type enhancement.

I don't use reader, but I have just opened it for the experiment. Not sure what you mean by dragging it to the bottom..etc, Would that be the same motion as minimizing? Sounds like you are using the feature for placing it in standby It certainly closes by the means I mentioned. Anyone confirm Saltgrass's problem??

Again Davehc, this is Windows 8.1, I do not have a working install of 10. Are you saying in 8.1 you never dragged the app to the bottom and let it rotate to close? Or in Windows 8 you did not drag it to the bottom to close? Windows 8.1 only started doing this after some of the 8.2 updates were installed.

One of the problems the Nvidia Control panel had with the Windows 10 preview builds was apps, such as Store being open and needed to be shut prior to proceeding with some operation. In Windows 10, you could not close those instances, and if you ended the task, the Framework Host would show up to inhibit the operation.....

If you haven't had these experiences, it might be hard to understand.

Sorry. I assumed it was 10. Sure, I drag them down if I want to keep them active.(In 8.1). If you want to permanently close them, you need to hold the cursor, or your finger, for a short while until the picture turns back to the original icon.. (8.2 updates? I think I best stop there. Never heard of those!)
Fwiw. I have left the Nvidia Control panel on its defaults. I certainly have not had any of the problems you describe.

Maybe, however, the last posts in this thread, maybe from #109, would be more appropriate in the Windows 8 section??

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how that Xbox game streaming to PC will work....but some exciting news over all. I for one can't wait.

Below is the latest email from Gabe Aul to Windows Insiders regarding the Windows 10 schedule:

I hope the new release allows a clean install instead of the upgrade approach.
Joe

ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-have-compiled-windows-10-milestone-build-10000
I wonder if it's this build we'll see later?