Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Hi

I've got a lot of things to complain about, but I'm just waiting to see it they get fixed in the next build.

Mainly I hope my Keyboard Lights will start working.

My Sound Will Stop Shutting Off.

My Printer Will Start Working again!

Mike

Windows 10: Microsoft hypes the return of the Start menu, more to come January 21st

The event will also see Microsoft unveil the January Technical Preview, which will be when the Windows Insider Program resumes with the release of a new build for testers.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-microsoft-hypes-return-start-menu-more-come-january-21st

An article on Winbeta.com reminds us that the Microsoft 'Build' Conference will also herald the release of the January version of Windows 10. The build number of this release isn't currently known and possibly won't be the recently leaked build 9888 as Microsoft designated it as 'not stable enough':
there's a new leaked build of Windows 10 available on file-sharing sites, but Microsoft isn't encouraging testers to download/install it. That build, 9888, wasn't designated by Microsoft as being stable enough for its Windows Insider testers.
ref:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/whats-next-for-windows-10/
So it could be something relatively new which is quite exciting. I think many of us are itching to get our hands on something new and hopefully also containing one or two fixes for issues.

Does anyone think they have changed apps so when they are closed they actually close? It seems to me they have made it harder to do that in each successive version of Windows 8..

I will be waiting to see what the new Terms of Use are. Not really that interested in continuing the program, especially since I have already been out so long.

They do now close, Saltgrass. You can confirm this in the taskmanager. ( Top right "x" or Alt F4, for example)

I can't confirm anything in Windows 10, but I can confirm in Windows 8.1 they are exhibiting the same behavior as the Windows 10 ones did.

For example, if I open Reader, then close the app by dragging to the bottom and let spin, the app is still showing in Task Manager. I can end that task, reboot my system, and Reader is once again open. Very irritating....

I read one post in the Microsoft forum where the poster stated this is a programmed behavior to allow for faster starts of the app when requested. Sort of seems like a mobile device type enhancement.

I don't use reader, but I have just opened it for the experiment. Not sure what you mean by dragging it to the bottom..etc, Would that be the same motion as minimizing? Sounds like you are using the feature for placing it in standby It certainly closes by the means I mentioned. Anyone confirm Saltgrass's problem??

Again Davehc, this is Windows 8.1, I do not have a working install of 10. Are you saying in 8.1 you never dragged the app to the bottom and let it rotate to close? Or in Windows 8 you did not drag it to the bottom to close? Windows 8.1 only started doing this after some of the 8.2 updates were installed.

One of the problems the Nvidia Control panel had with the Windows 10 preview builds was apps, such as Store being open and needed to be shut prior to proceeding with some operation. In Windows 10, you could not close those instances, and if you ended the task, the Framework Host would show up to inhibit the operation.....

If you haven't had these experiences, it might be hard to understand.

Sorry. I assumed it was 10. Sure, I drag them down if I want to keep them active.(In 8.1). If you want to permanently close them, you need to hold the cursor, or your finger, for a short while until the picture turns back to the original icon.. (8.2 updates? I think I best stop there. Never heard of those!)
Fwiw. I have left the Nvidia Control panel on its defaults. I certainly have not had any of the problems you describe.

Maybe, however, the last posts in this thread, maybe from #109, would be more appropriate in the Windows 8 section??

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how that Xbox game streaming to PC will work....but some exciting news over all. I for one can't wait.

Below is the latest email from Gabe Aul to Windows Insiders regarding the Windows 10 schedule:
Hello, Windows Insider –

19449_spacer.gif

It's Gabe again from here in the Operating Systems Group (OSG), with more Windows 10 updates.

19449_spacer.gif

As I mentioned in my blog last month, we have over 1.5 million registered Windows Insiders – and it's a very hands-on group. In fact, Windows Insiders are using Windows 10 preview builds more actively than with any prior beta release of Windows.

19449_spacer.gif

With new features and events just around the corner, being an Insider is sure to get even more exciting. Here's a quick summary of what you need to know:

19449_spacer.gif

Windows 10: The next chapter (9:00 a.m. PST, January 21, 2015)

• Our Windows 10 event is quickly approaching! Satya Nadella, Chief Executive Officer, and other senior Microsoft executives will be sharing more on the Windows vision, including news of a major, new Windows 10 build. Visit here for instructions on how to view the webcast. Click here for an invitation you can add to your calendar.

19449_spacer.gif

The Insider Hub app

• The new Insider Hub app (included in build 9879) is up and running with exclusive updates and missions (where you can try out new features and send us your feedback).
  • Open the Hub at least once to get notifications from the app on important news and announcements. Just search for "Insider Hub" and pin it to your Start screen for easy access.

19449_spacer.gif

Info for IT pros

• If you haven't already checked out these blog posts and webcasts on Windows 10 and Windows 10 app, have a look now. They are loaded with details about new UI, security, and identity features, as well as new management and deployment capabilities.
§ Windows 10: A Store That's Ready for Business

§ Windows 10: Manageability Choices

§ Windows 10: Making Deployment Easier

§ Windows 10: Security and Identity Protection for the Modern World

§ Microsoft Virtual Academy – Windows 10 Technical Preview Fundamentals for IT Pros

19449_spacer.gif

Info for developers

• As you already know, Windows 10 represents a big step forward around unifying the Windows development platform, tools, and Store to maximize the audiences available to developers. At the same time, Windows 10 minimizes the work to deliver optimized application and game experiences across multiple device types.
  • We're targeting a public Windows 10 SDK in the near future. In the meantime, the best way to prepare for Windows 10 is to build Windows XAML apps targeting Windows 8.1. Check out the free Microsoft Virtual Academy training to get started.
  • If you are a current Windows Phone Silverlight developer, check out our comprehensive instructional content on how to bring your skills and code over to Windows RT XAML.

19449_spacer.gif

Updated Program Terms of Use coming soon

We'll post the updated terms here. Be sure check back after January 21 to review. Your continued participation in the Program once the terms are live constitutes your acceptance.

19449_spacer.gif

For more on Windows 10, you can check out my regular blog posts that I post every month, and you can also follow me on Twitter. In the meantime, we look forward to having you join us at the January 21 event.

19449_spacer.gif

Thanks!
g

19449_spacer.gif

P.S. If you haven't already installed Windows 10 Technical Preview, you can do it here. (If you are an IT pro, Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise is here.) This is pre-release software, so check out Before you install to be sure it is right for you

A new report coming from Neowin claims that Microsoft has artificially jumped development builds of Windows 10 to mark build 10,000. That's a special milestone indeed, however it isn't a true one. Microsoft is known for frequently jumping builds, although they were supposed to have stopped doing that with Windows 10. Looks like that new years resolution lasted long!
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-have-compiled-windows-10-milestone-build-10000
I wonder if it's this build we'll see later?

Back