Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Cortana will arrive in the U.S, U.K, China, France, Italy, Germany and Spain on July 29th, with the launch of Windows 10. Following this, over the next few months, Windows Insiders in Japan and Australia will receive the service, and in English to users in Canada and India. Later in the year, the service will be expanded to Brazil and Mexico, and eventually to French speakers in Canada.

Cortana is coming: Microsoft reveals its plans for international roll-out

WooHoo Party on dude! I got this email today:
party.JPG

Boo Hoo. They hate me! Nothing in my mail. Joke aside. Must be something to do with the UK only?
Something fishy there, though!

Could be that they are just not holding an event in Denmark? But of course David you could always be my +1? :)

Tis a real shame actually as non of my other friends are tech orientated. They would be bored to bits.. I might just go on my own just to see whats happening there.

It does seem that the insider hub is country specific??

After seeing Ross's post, I had a look at the insider hub. I could not find any trace of that Email offer, but, instead, came across this.

"
35c94e79-5c38-436b-b890-e5dff353e87f.jpg

On July 29, Windows 10 will become available to the world. We want to celebrate and thank the people who inspired it. Microsoft stores will host a series of activities, events, and special Windows 10 Experience Zones in select locations, starting on July 29. We would like to invite the Windows Insider Program participants to join us. This is a great opportunity to meet fellow Insiders, get goodies and celebrate. To help celebrate your part in Windows 10, the first 50 Insiders to visit each Microsoft store starting on July 29 will get an exclusive Windows Insiders t-shirt (first-come first-served). In addition, we are offering a Windows Insider Exclusive Microsoft store offer, valid July 29- August 2. Print the exclusive offer and bring it to the Microsoft store, or show it on your device. There are 110 stores located in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. To find the Microsoft store nearest to you, go here. To learn about the Windows 10 Special Events at the Microsoft store in your city, go to https://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftStore. We will be hosting additional celebrations in various cities around the world where the attendance is unfortunately limited and by invitation only. We hope you will join us at one of our celebrations for Windows 10 and look forward to seeing you there.

As I said previously David a huge shame you can't join me. It's better to go along with someone who has the same interest. Most of my friends are wrapped up with babies and other such family orientated nightmares lol so no time for nights out with Microsoft.

Well. I guess I am in the same position, but.

Excluding a daughter in Law and my wife, I have a family of computer freaks - 10 of them. Can actually get to be boring over dinner conversation sometimes!

Lucky with my wife, though. If I am trying to simulate a bug, she can produce it by accident.

Interesting article over at winbeta.com:
The Build 10240 is the RTM:
But with Windows 10, things are different.

Before we move on, I just want to be dead clear with everyone. Build 10240 was sent to OEMs, it will be the build that is pre-loaded onto ALL new Windows 10 hardware, that in itself is enough to consider a build as the RTM. Moving on.

The RTM milestone as we used to know it is dead with Windows 10, but the idea of Windows RTM’ing still exists. Internally, Microsoft still took a look at build 10240 and said “OK, this is ready. Release it to manufacturing”, but the reasoning behind them RTM’ing at this stage differs from usual. Windows 10 is not done, it’s feature-base is not complete, but Microsoft needs a starting point for getting Windows 10 out of the door.

Windows as a service:
About a month before the Windows 10 RTM was compiled, Microsoft entered what is called 'feature-lockdown', meaning no new features are added to the operating system, and instead engineers focus on stabilizing code that’s already in the bag. So Microsoft spent about a month stabilizing and fixing bugs for the Windows 10 RTM, just this time with the RTM, it’s not feature-complete. That’s where Windows as a Service comes in.

The RTM is dead:
So in a nutshell, Windows 10 is never done. It did hit RTM, but the RTM we used to know and love is dead.

Full article

Winbeta is carrying links for the day 1 patch:
Windows 10 launches this Wednesday, and for the last few weeks Microsoft has been working hard on getting last minute bugs fixed before general availability. Now, the final 'day one' patch for Windows 10 looks to have been finalized, and includes over 1GB of improvements to the underlying operating system.

The final build number consumers will update to on July 29th reads 10240.16405.150725-1815.th1, and those keeping track will notice the delta number has increased from 16384. Those upgrading will actually download 10240.16384 alongside the day one patch handsomely titled KB3074683, and will be applied automatically during the upgrade so by the time the consumer lands on the desktop, they'll be running 10240.16405.
Day one patch for Windows 10 features over 1GB of fixes and improvements (download links)

This is a strange patch, because if you run Windows Update in Windows 10 RTM Insider Preview, you will get this message:

rtm-insider-preview.png

Accordingly, the RTM Insider Preview build number is 10240.16393.amd64fre.th1_st1.150717-1719, while WinBeta concludes that the final General Availability build will be 10240.16405.150725-1815.th1. This Twitter post also concludes you will get the same build via Insider Preview, but clearly, we see, it is not up on Windows Update yet. Core on Twitter

It begins........
Microsoft has started pushing Windows 10 out to PCs in preparation of its July 29th launch tomorrow. Those who reserved their free upgrade will begin to pre-download the bits today, and many in the United States and other areas have already started receiving the pre-download.

Some eagle eye'd users have found that the GWX folder is now filling up with Windows 10 bits, and many already have the .ESD which contains the entire Windows 10 operating system for installation starting July 29th. It was revealed a couple of months ago that Windows 10 would automatically be pre-downloaded before the launch date to avoid day one server struggles.
Microsoft begins pre-downloading Windows 10 on reserved PCs

I got that patch last night ...

I think from some of the posts we are seeing currently, there may need to be a Windows 10 News section to keep from cluttering up the primary groups. It should also be kept out of the way along with the Tutorial section.

Last edited:
there may need to be a Windows 10 News section
I agree with Saltgrass.
With the Insider Program continuing post "Final" release (if that is even the proper term for it), there is likely to continue to be Windows 10 "News".
As an example

A music (I guess you could call it that) video for Windows 10.
Kinda pretty if you're not prone to strobe induced seizures.

Windows-10-Folder.jpg

It's Windows 10 Eve, and for those of you who have your Windows 7 or 8.x device all set up and ready to be upgraded to the latest Microsoft OS, there's not much to do but wait. Well, wait, and check to see if Windows 10 is pre-loading on your machine, ready to upgrade at the first opportunity.

Microsoft has begun pre-loading machines already, to take some of the pressure off their servers as seemingly millions will be ready to upgrade on Day One. To check to see if your machine is getting ready for Windows 10, head over to File Explorer, first making sure that "show hidden files" is enabled (you can hide the files again after you checked if you don't want a bunch of extra stuff in your File Explorer). On Windows 7, it's File Explorer > Organize > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files, folders, and drives:

showhidden.PNG

In Windows 8.x, it's File Explorer > View > check Hidden items.

Then, just navigate to C: in File Explorer and you should see a new folder, \$Windows.~BT. That's where the new OS is being temporarily stored, once it's downloaded. You can right click on the folder, choose Properties, and see how big the folder is (my Surface 3 has some 5.94GB in the folder, your machine may be slightly different). And no you can't start the installation early - (update: well, where there's a willthere's a way).

That's it, now you can rest assured that you're all set and ready for Windows 10!

Ref:
Windows 10 How To: Check if Windows 10 is pre-loaded on your machine

Back
Top Bottom