Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Waiting on Threshold 2 personally.. I'm hoping it will improve on the mess that windows 10 currently is. Here's a story to illuminate the current state of Windows 10: One of my friends has a 10 year old daughter who, like any young person growing up in this tech age, know's her way round a laptop. Her remarks about Windows 10 were 'I rolled back to windows 7 as I disliked the constant pop ups telling me what to do'. Now she isn't what we would term a geek or a 'power user' but even she couldn't stomach Win 10. I quickly informed her mother that soon Microsoft will be forcing windows 10 as a 'recommended update so said I'd pop round to change the update settings from auto to 'let me check' but what is this going to do to those who are unaware whats around the corner? How far is Microsoft willing to go to get it's end users off Windows 7/8/8.1 and on to windows 10?

And one of the things that kinda pisses me off about it all is that it's gonna be us in the forums dealing with the mess this creates....

Sad news. For once, we seem to be on opposite side of the fence on this. I am not in love with Windows 10, but it is running fine for me, But, just curious, what popups is the munchkin referring to?

To be honest i'm unsure what it was exactly that she disliked so apart from some mention of pop ups. As for Windows 10 when I mean mess I mean the update system which I truly hate. For the most part it (win 10) runs fine apart from the odd hiccup and I do quite like it but something stops me from really, really liking it. I just feel some parts of it are badly designed.

understood. I have just had a "popup" on the new build - not seen by me before "Your location is currently in use"

Anyone currently holding their breath for the 'Threshold 2 update may as well breathe:
Windows 10 Threshold 2 has been signed off for the desktop (as well as mobile), according to our sources. Microsoft has finally selected a build of Windows 10 Threshold 2 that will roll out to the public! According to our contacts, build 10586 has been selected as the final build of Threshold 2, for both desktop and mobile. The company is planning to begin rolling the update out sometime this month for everyone.

So it 'might' be released this month but considering it was due for release on the 2nd then the 10th I shouldn't start holding your breath again.. ;)

Windows 10 news: Threshold 2, flat skin drama, new build, and more

Darn. I have been out all day upgrading Windows 7 on three Laptops for old guys. Worked well, buy I misinformed them to watch for a big update later today. Ah well. Another trip tomorrow. I hope they get some sleep tonight and don't sit up watching the update window.

Threshold 2 is released! (November update)
Today, we reach our next milestone as the first major update to Windows 10 is now available* for PCs and tablets. With this update, there are improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience, including thousands of partners updating their device drivers and applications for great Windows 10 compatibility. Windows 10 also starts rolling out to Xbox One today and select mobile phones soon.
First Major Update for Windows 10 Available Today

*If already running Windows 10, you will receive the November update according to your Windows Update settings.

Looks like Microsoft have released a new iso (version 1511) containing all the new updates. So far you'll need an MSDN account to access the iso but it may be available from the main iso page for win 10:

Please note: This installation file contains Windows 10 Professional and Windows 10 Home

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511 includes the latest updates and features.
Windows 10 Pro is designed for small and medium businesses enabling organizations to manage their devices and apps, protect their business data, facilitate remote and mobile scenarios as well as take advantage of the cloud technologies for their organizations. In addition to small and medium businesses, Windows 10 Pro devices would be a good choice for organizations supporting Carry Your Own Devices (CYOD) programs.

Windows 10 Home, Version 1511
Windows 10 Home, Version 1511 includes the latest updates and features.
Windows 10 Home is the definitive Windows 10 experience for general consumers. It offers a familiar and personal experience combined with new innovations for getting things done and having more fun. New features include: an all-new web browser built for doing things online; Windows Hello which providers users a warm welcome and a convenient log-on*; and great new multi-tasking features including snapping multiple apps on the screen and creating virtual desktops for more space.

File Name:en-gb_windows_10_multiple_editions_version_1511_x64_dvd_7223718.iso

Just completed a fresh install of 10420. When I finished it (today) and went into the updates, TH2 was already downloading. Now installed.. I have made an iso from the build ESD, but always worthwhile getting hold of the original -tks for the heads up, Ross.

Been to bed!!
After thoughts. For those who help others.

It is quicker to download the ISO and make fresh installs, than go through the upgrade.
The upgrade is, almost to the very end, a full reinstall anyway. On an average laptop (i5 - normal HD) the upgrade took, .about, an hour. A fresh install took 20 minutes, both to the desktop. The download of the upgrade, or, for that matter, the ISO, is, of course, dependant on your connection.

Last edited:
I'm going to install 1511 a little later today but I'd go for clean install over upgrade any day.

I'd been waiting for this.
Downloaded the ISO from here Tech Bench
Bit the bullet and did a clean install and am now back up and running. Everything seems OK.
Figured it was about time to give up on that 8.1 upgrade to 10 that I had been living with since July and do things right..... finally.

I'm just getting over the shock of the upgrade working 100%. I might get round to the fresh install of TH2 at a later date, but, for the moment, I'll stick with the Acronis image.

David this current version 1511 ain't half nippy, my games are running faster (fallout 4), it boots faster and seems zippy overall.. Give it a try!
On the downside it seems even more choice has been removed from the update section. One cannot go into system properties now and tell the update to not download drivers as it's missing! I like some of the new menu's too, more choice when right clicking in the start menu etc so it's not all bad..;)

Windows Edge. Winbeta has a in depth feature about this new browser:

This news is via Tweakguides:

Microsoft recently released a major update for Windows 10, known as Version 1511 (Build 10586). Initially, this update could be installed either via Windows Update, or as an upgrade or clean install by using the new 1511/10586 ISOs MS provided through its Techbench or Media Creation Tool links. MS has now removed the 1511/10586 ISOs, reverting them back to build 10240 - the original Windows 10 RTM build. The reason for this sudden reversal is unclear. Ed Bottreports a Microsoft spokesman as saying this is a deliberate decision to make sure that installs of the 1511/10586 update are only through Windows Update; some users say they've been told by MS that 1511/10586 has been removed because it causes problems.

Update: A direct download link to the 1511/10586 Media Creation Tool is still available here for now.
Reference

The download page for the Media creation tool now says:

"These downloads cannot be used to update Windows 10 PCs to the November update (Version 1511)."

But I don't see any real issue.
The media creation tool was, I would say, for those who had upgraded in the correct manner, but for their own peace of mind, wanted an ISO to go with it. I would not think it was ever intended to be updated to include successive builds.

Microsoft’s official comment(s) are below:

The November update was originally available via the MCT (Media Creation Tool), but the company decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 [Build 10240] using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

Microsoft has not pulled the Windows 10 November 10 update. The company is rolling out the November update over time – if you don’t see it in Windows Update, you will see it soon.

Back