Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Crash

Jerald7

Trying to upgrade from Wondows 7 Pro to Windows 10. This process has crashed about 10 times, have been going back to Windows 7 working on drivers. I did a "clean boot" and did get Windows 10 to install. But then I went back to a normal startup, which killed it on reboot. I'm trying to boot up in Safe Mode to change the startup so I can reboot.
I cannot get to Safe Mode. Most methods to get in Safe Mode in Windows 10 requires you to be able to boot up. I can't.
I have a Windows 10 ISO disk, have booted up with it, finally got into Safe Mode, but while in safe mode, now there is not mouse, cannot do anything.

:friendly_wink:Hi Jerald,

Did you remember to run the COMPATABILITY TEST from Microsoft PRIOR to attempting your W10 upgrade? This is an important step, and you MUST be able to get a *Clean* COMPATABILITY REPORT result prior to running the Upgrade.

Next thing is that if you have faulty or failing hard drive, or RAM, you can also experience difficulties with the upgrade--and that's an extremely common mistake people make when trying to upgrade. They fail to test their hardware, even though it appears to be running just fine under their old or factory-installed OS Windows. I suggest that you download the free SEATOOLS drive diagnostic from Seagate.com and test that hard drive. Make sure to run BOTH short and long tests to conclusion. If SEATOOLS reports any errors, that drive has failed or begun to fail and is not suitable for W10 upgrade and should therefore be replaced. Next, download free MEMTEST86+ via Google, and run a minimum of 8 passes on all your installed RAM. This could take up to 24 hrs. or more depending on the amount of RAM you have installed in your PC. *8 passes usually takes 18 hrs. on 8GB or RAM or more*. If MEMTEST returns any errors, you have 1 or more faulty RAM sticks and they must be replaced. Rerun MEMTEST on each stick individually after replacing any bad sticks, and rerun MEMTEST 1 final time for 8 passes with all sticks inserted to conclusion with no errors.

These are 2 of the tests that Techs will often run if you take your PC into the repair shop and pay someone to do this upgrade for you. Since they are free, you are paying for their knowledge and diagnostic skills, which you can easily duplicate by running them yourself, and saving that labor cost.

A couple of other comments for you. If you are unable to access the Troubleshooting Tools in the Advanced section of your W10 ISO disc, you may have a problem with that disc you burned--or a hardware failure or BIOS problem on the Motherboard of the computer you are attempting to upgrade. Another thing that home users don't know about is that you should always attempt to perform a BIOS upgrade if available from the computer maker or Mobo manufacturer PRIOR to attempting any OS upgrade with Windows. If you have done this already, great, you just have to run the above tests to rule out any hardware failure in your HDD or RAM. Bear in mind that if you attempt to do the BIOS upgrade yourself and you've never done one-DON'T-even backing up all your stuff first to external media may not be enough if you mis-install a BIOS upgrade as you can Brick your Motherboard which is a very expensive replacement in both parts and labor cost, and can often cost more than a brand new PC or laptop! Better to pay a professional to do for you. If you have done one before, did you remember to check if the BIOS you have in your PC is the most current from the manufacturer's website? If not, you should upgrade the BIOS *flash it*, rerun the COMPATIBILITY TEST to produce a no-exceptions result in the Report; and then reinstall your W10.

Another thing to realize is that if you do a reinstall of W10 on the same hard drive, the W10 boot tracks are quite difficult to write over and erase, and often you'll need Linux tools to reformat the drive (built-in Windows utilities such as Disk Management) may not work. DBAN and GPARTED are often needed. If you don't know what these are, you can reach out to a local Tech or a savvy person familiar with rebuilding broken computers. They may be able to loan you a copy. They are freeware, so they shouldn't charge you--except perhaps for the cost of the Media if they provide to you; a $10 flash drive or a $0.20 DVD. Many times, I see people who attempt the erase of the W10 boot tracks using Windows utilities and they can never get it to work with that hard drive. Some folks who are more experienced will figure this out by trial-and-error by replacing the hard drive with one that is blank, or new, or never been installed with W10--and it works!

Let us know how it goes.
Best of luck,:eagerness:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Windows 10 will not boot up. Cannot get back into Safe Mode. I was successful getting into safe mode by booting up with my ISO disk, selecting Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Startup Options. But now this last option is not available. Instead of Startup Options, it gives me "UEFI Firmware Settings" - with no way to access Startup Options, which lets you select Safe Mode.
And now it will not let me "Go back to the previous build" either. It let me do that prior, but now when I select that option, it says "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous build. Try resetting your current build instead."
That will make me loose all programs on this PC. Any suggestions?

I understand that, but we could use some more information from you. What is the Make/Model of the computer you are attempting to get WX running on? Is it a Desktop PC, Laptop, or a Custom-built rig. I should have asked you this in my first post, but it's becoming apparent we need to know this now.

Since you got the UEFI BIOS error message, it should be a simple matter of accessing your PCs BIOS (via F1 or F2 key or similar), and changing your UEFI settings for bootable media. You'll never be able to access or install from DVD or USB on a UEFI Motherboard-based computer without doing this--it is simply blocking your ability to install bootable media as a security precaution, and you have to change your BIOS settings--TEMPORARILY, to do so. You'll want to change the UEFI enabled setting to either "DISABLED" or "LEGACY", and also you must change the SECURE or SECURITY setting from enabled to "DISABLED"; this allows you to temporarily access bootable media on internal or external devices (USB mainly), and you should then be able to access your W10 ISO media and correctly install any version of Windows you want, providing you have correct and legit install media (DVD or USB).

Once you change your UEFI settings in BIOS things should start working. But, as I spent quite a bit of time explaining, you'll have to also check the following before you get your WX installed:
1.) MOST CURRENT MOTHERBOARD BIOS UDPATED
2.) COMPATABILITY TEST
3.) HDD TEST
4.) RAM TEST

If you don't do these things, you'll be going round and round like a Hamster on a wheel, since you'll never actually know whether your computer can run WX or not due to incompatible apps, drivers, BIOS, or failed hardware such as RAM or HDD.

Best of luck,:eagerness:

<<<BBJ>>>

Back