Windows 10 Windows 10 installation stuck

TechAuth

Hey everyone.

Yesterday, (30th August) I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 after I noticed that there was loads of viruses on the operating system. How did I reinstall it? I went onto Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC.

After doing so, I left the computer doing its job since I had to go somewhere. After that, the screen that looked like this:
73440d1459965320-check-install-windows-update-windows-10-a-new-upgrade-ui-1024x608.png

but instead of it updating, it was Installing. I saw it on 50% and I thought it was doing something in the background. When I returned an hour later, it was still 50% and I thought that something may be wrong.

13 hours later, it was still 50%, so I decided to turn off the computer. Once I turned it back on again, it showed the Windows 10 boot screen, then the screen went black and showed the boot screen again, but Preparing underneath the spinner. Oddly, it showed this:
IMG_20170831_103816.jpg

IMG_20170831_103813.jpg

The error says:
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, then restart the installation.

However, when I click OK, the whole thing happens again. I really need help, and if that's possible, thanks!

-TechAuth

If you have access to another machine. Create a install dvd USB using the windows 10 media creation tool and do a clean install.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If you have access to another machine. Create a install dvd USB using the windows 10 media creation tool and do a clean install.

I've tried that and even the Shift + F10 method but no luck.

Oh that's odd. You could create a gparted disc. Remove all partitions from the system drive and then try a clean install.

Update: Once I've tried the Shift + F10 method and it probably made the whole thing even worse. I cant even press Shift + F10 and fix this properly now. Putting a windows 7/10 cd wont work as it refuses to boot to the CD, and I've tried with a USB and changing BIOS settings to boot to the CD and USB. May take the computer to a repair shop to have things sorted out.

" … decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 after I noticed that there was loads of viruses on the operating system …"

hi there, techauth … and welcome to windowsforum … nice to have you on-board.

now then … this post is intended mostly to benefit netizens dropping in.

first point:
how, exactly, did you notice there were many viruses and/or malware on your computer?
  • was there a certain program which detailed a list of state-actors … and, then, that same program also offered you virus-protection … if you paid for subscription? if so, would you mind telling us the name of that program?

• or … did you take screen-cap of a list of viruses which your anti-virus software warned you about? if so, what is name of that anti-virus program?

• or … was your pc acting very sluggish … and you noticed advertisement on the internet that pats you on the back and exclaims "if your pc is sluggish, we can fix it … guaranteed!!!" does this sound familiar?
never heed/trust their warnings. see, matter of fact, what will happen is the following:
there likely never was any malware/ virus on your computer. however … the program being advised/ advertised will actually install malware/ viruses on to your computer … the code within the program's installation will prove so invasive … you probably will never be able to eradicate the infection completely … except, as nmsuk points out, total reformat/ clean install.

second point:
i want to illustrate the following rendering:

see that little text at bottom of your first screen-cap … that text states very clearly "do not turn off your computer … this will take a while." so, netizens … you thought the install/ update had frozen and you wanted to "help" the process along … possibly giving you a chance in trying the procedure again after reboot.

if windows states it is installing or updating … leave the computer alone … even if it takes a whole week. btw … if the device runs on battery (i.e. laptop, ipad, tablet) … plug in the device … because, eventually, that battery will drain … causing the whole nightmare a second time.

so … why is the process taking so long? and why does it not seem to be making any progress? windows has much to consider when configuring your particular machine to work properly. it goes through one scenario … then another … and another. why do apple computers not take so long? they have only one manufacturer to worry about … "apple". whereas microsoft's legacy encompasses hundreds of thousands of itinerants … all vying for a piece of the pie.

again … my post is for everyone who is viewing this thread … it is not intended to subjugate the original poster.

now, techauth … thanks for being as detailed as you were … it really helped nmsuk isolate the symptoms … giving you best 'n least invasive advice possible.

hope to see a lot more of you, techauth … best wishes going forward.

Last edited:
hi there, techauth … and welcome to windowsforum … nice to have you on-board.

now then … this post is intended mostly to benefit netizens dropping in.

first point:
how, exactly, did you notice there were many viruses and/or malware on your computer?
  • was there a certain program which detailed a list of state-actors … and, then, that same program also offered you virus-protection … if you paid for subscription? if so, would you mind telling us the name of that program?

• or … did you take screen-cap of a list of viruses which your anti-virus software warned you about? if so, what is name of that anti-virus program?

• or … was your pc acting very sluggish … and you noticed advertisement on the internet that pats you on the back and exclaims "if your pc is sluggish, we can fix it … guaranteed!!!" does this sound familiar?
never heed/trust their warnings. see, matter of fact, what will happen is the following:
there likely never was any malware/ virus on your computer. however … the program being advised/ advertised will actually install malware/ viruses on to your computer … the code within the program's installation will prove so invasive … you probably will never be able to eradicate the infection completely … except, as nmsuk points out, total reformat/ clean install.

second point:
i want to illustrate the following rendering:

see that little text at bottom of your first screen-cap … that text states very clearly "do not turn off your computer … this will take a while." so, netizens … you thought the install/ update had frozen and you wanted to "help" the process along … possibly giving you a chance in trying the procedure again after reboot.

if windows states it is installing or updating … leave the computer alone … even if it takes a whole week. btw … if the device runs on battery (i.e. laptop, ipad, tablet) … plug in the device … because, eventually, that battery will drain … causing the whole nightmare a second time.

so … why is the process taking so long? and why does it not seem to be making any progress? windows has much to consider when configuring your particular machine to work properly. it goes through one scenario … then another … and another. why do apple computers not take so long? they have only one manufacturer to worry about … "apple". whereas microsoft's legacy encompasses hundreds of thousands of itinerants … all vying for a piece of the pie.

again … my post is for everyone who is viewing this thread … it is not intended to subjugate the original poster.

now, techauth … thanks for being as detailed as you were … it really helped nmsuk isolate the symptoms … giving you best 'n least invasive advice possible.

hope to see a lot more of you, techauth … best wishes going forward.

I found out viruses after another family member fell for a stupid scam, and there were ads everywhere, even on the desktop. As for the install, I expected it to be really fast, considering I have good internet, so after a few hours I had got convinced by a family member to turn it off.

Thanks.

If the machine was badly infected no wonder the reset was taking awhile. If you have install media. Do the shift f10, run diskpart select the boot drive and do a clean. Then reboot back into the install media and try installing. The reboot is important so the change to the disk is registered properly.

Back
Top Bottom