Windows 10 Windows 10, lost password.

udaman

Hi, I'm locked out of my laptop. I never use a password because I live by myself and these devices never leave the house, then I just had to try cortana. When I signed the account required by MS in order to try cortana, I thought I was just signing up to a MS account online and had no idea it was going to cause me to sign in to my laptop each time, so I didn't bother keeping the password. MS forums seemed clueless, so hope you all can help.

It will be the password to the email you used. If you don't know what it is you can reset it online.

Thanks Neemo, The email was from an account that I either didn't save any of their security measures for or lost them. Whatever the case I did try that and I was missing something. I'm trying to reset it with a media installation too, so I'll see how that goes and then be back.

This is one of the most common issues caused by naming the 1:st computer-account as your own..
That both make you the ADMIN, and you never get a separate admin-account to use as a "backup-account" in cases like this..

I have been nagging about this since ages ago, And no one ever gives me credit for that.
The only respons I get is people who keep yapping their stupid ranting of: "I have always logged on as admin and NEVER had any issues".. and similar stuff.

Well! This is precisely the case when you would have benefited from naming the 1:st account "PCAdmin" and (After running Windows update and installed software) create a separate user-account for your self to use.. (Safer and "best practise")
Let this be a lesson for everyone..

If you would have followed this best practise, I would have recommended you to logon as PCAdmin, and creating a new LOCAL account for your self,
Then copying your private files and documents etcetera. to your new user-account, And you would be up and running in no time.

Since you do not have this (very wise option) you are pretty much stuck, most password tools can not change a microsoft accounts password.. so you have locked your self out of your own files....

But NO WORRIES! If possible, remove the hardrive, put it in another computer as a "slave", take ownership of the drive.. Copy all files you like to save..
Usually in \\Drive\Users\{your accountname}\

Then put it back in the original computer, and get a USB-stick of atleased 8Gb..

Connect it to your other computer, browse to: Download Windows 10
And use the tool to create a Installation media on your USB-stick..

In this case i would like to recommend you to browse to: windowsguides.eu and get the ULTIMATE WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION GUIDE from there.. If you follow that you will NEVER end up in this situation again...
There is a reason as to why i is called the ultimate guide.. simply because the guide takes all sorts of situations in account..

Many others have had the same issues as you have, thus the ULTIMATE WINDOWS 10 GUIDE aids to stop this (and a whole lot of other issues) BEFORE you experience these yourself!! It is actually better to be safe than sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. As mentioned, the reason this happened is I never intended make an account that would cause me to have to log into windows to begin with so, I never saved any of the sign in info. There was no indication at all I was signing into an account that would lock me out of my PC, something, at least IMO, MS should make clear. Again, I signed it just to try Cortana, and there was simply no way I could know this would happen. So, at this point I just need get into the laptop so I can take steps to do away with the login process altogether. thanks again.

there is no option to recover a Microsoft Account password without the email you used to set it up

to be clear, Microsoft has now logged your system to that account id and reformatting the computer locally will not fix the issue unless you are happy to pay for a new Windows licence

Microsoft has now logged your system to that account id and reformatting the computer locally will not fix the issue unless you are happy to pay for a new Windows licence
When did that take place? I can and have done this numerous times with windows 10. Doing a clean install and assigning a new user name and password and have a new PC for clients.

Bit weird as I did that for someone the other day. So I guess they don't log it.

there is no option to recover a Microsoft Account password without the email you used to set it up

I have the email, the issues are in my last post.

Last edited:
When did that take place? I can and have done this numerous times with windows 10. Doing a clean install and assigning a new user name and password and have a new PC for clients.

Couple years ago?

I plan to try that if nothing else works. I need to put an sd drive in the laptop anyway, so this would be a good time. Can you tell me how to get a hold of the windows installation key since I cannot get into windows to find it? Is it on the laptop itself?

Couple years ago?

I plan to try that if nothing else works. I need to put an sd drive in the laptop anyway, so this would be a good time. Can you tell me how to get a hold of the windows installation key since I cannot get into windows to find it? Is it on the laptop itself?
if the system came with Windows then its prob a OEM license. these will have the company name printed somewhere on the docket, whereas OEI ones won't because you can purchase these on a limited liability

an OEM will be stored on your motherboard and will kick in automatic as long as you reinstall the same system i.e, Windows 10 home or pro... the good news is as long as you keep the same type it will now auto-activate

a OEI tends to be different to the actual computer and you normally get the key on the docket or in an email... the main difference is who gives you support Microsoft or the company that makes the laptop

when you setup a Microsoft account you are storing your id with Microsoft for apps etc... if you [for example] then goto the Microsoft store and grab a movie, that is avalable to all the computers listed as being hooked up to your Microsoft account ... even if you buy that computer a year later

you can use software like Products: Belarc Advisor to find everything on your system [includeing the keys] but DON'T post the report here without first editing private info

Windows logo key + X on your keyboard to open the Quick Access menu and click Command Prompt (Admin). To reset your forgotten password, type the following command and press Enter. Replace account_name and new_password with your username and desired password respectively.

net user account_name new_password

Windows logo key + X on your keyboard to open the Quick Access menu and click Command Prompt (Admin). To reset your forgotten password, type the following command and press Enter. Replace account_name and new_password with your username and desired password respectively.

net user account_name new_password
I did this with Command Prompt,but i don't think it was easy,the reason why i say this may be because i do not have a lot of computer - related skills knowleage.
I lost Windows 10 password,and the password was not recovered,i just reset it and set a new administrator password.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom