Windows 10 Windows 10 newest update

Odos270

What a mess. Took some time but I got a bunch of it cleaned up. The major problem is that the clock isn't showing in the taskbar. There's a blank space where it should be. If I mouse over the space, it will show time/date. If I click, the calendar will come up.

I've done internet searches. Fun. I don't want results for XP. I filtered them out, they still show. So, how to restore the clock? Next to the icon that looks like a hubcap, that's where the clock should be.

TIA
Clipboard01.jpg

Nope. Clock is set to On.

And I just found out something else. I did a screen cap (win key + prt scr). It saves in My Pictures. Well, I tried to go into the folder and was denied. I had to mess around and change permissions to allow me in. Until I do the same for both My Videos and My Music, I'm denied. I am an Administrator, and the account I use is a Admin account. So the update broke that too.

I miss XP. :(

Oh joy. Open Command Prompt and it's full screen and the font is so big it's blown off the screen. And it was pinned to the Start Menu, not anymore. Something else it fugged up. running sfc now. If that doesn't do it, I'll do the rest.

OK. Your installation was likely corrupted. You need the source media to do the DISM correction using offline mode. This means you need to extract a copy of Windows 10 Anniversary Edition to a folder and point it in that direction. It could get a bit complicated from here. Do you know how to extract a ISO file? The other option is to back up all important data, take account of your drivers, and clean install.

I have a legal copy of 10 that I downloaded from Microsoft sometime back. It's not updated. I downloaded as an ISO and extracted it to a thumb drive. But can't find the original ISO. I guess I must've dumped it. Oh man, I really don't want to do a fresh install. It'll take me days to put this thing back together. XP used to take me hours.

I looked at Update history and this is what I saw.

ePkSZYo.jpg

I think your tray icon stream is corrupt, try the following
  • Open regedit
  • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
  • Rename the value IconStream and if there is one called something like PastIconStrea, rename it as well
  • Logout and back in and test

OK, this will make me out to be an idiot. I've never logged out of a computer before. And, what name/password would I even use to log back in with?

Thanks for your patience, for the last month my brain has turned into mud.

Hi

Before you log out of your computer, go to "Microsoft Account Sign In" online, and make sure you can log into your Microsoft account.

Sign in to your Microsoft account

It will require the email address that you used to set it up, probably the email address you use every day, and your password.

If you don't know your password it will give you a way to reset it through the email that your used to set it up.

If it tells you that you don't have a Microsoft Account then you can create one and use that to log in.

Once you are Sure That You Can Sign In to your Microsoft account, "Do it twice to be sure".

Then you can shut down your computer, and use your Microsoft Account to log back into it.

You will have to input your email address in the top line and your password under it.

Whatever you do, don't log out without knowing how to log back in.

I can't believe that your never shut down your computer even once.

You should create a system backup of your C:\ dive just in case it freezes up and won't boot someday.

It does happen, it's happened to me recently.

Mike

Last edited:
Even if the tray is brought back using a registry tweak you still have install errors. The problem is that the Windows SideBySide components (datastore) that help you repair operating system files were likely also corrupted.

Make sure you have a copy of the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition ISO (NOT THE ORIGINAL RELEASE). If you don't have it, you can use the Windows Media Creation tool here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Step 2. Extract the ISO to c:\win10image using WinRAR, 7zip, etc.

Step 3. Open command prompt with "Run as Administrator" (elevated). Run DISM using this command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:esd:C:\win10image\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

If you use the USB option in the Windows Media Creation tool point to

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:esd:D:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

Drive D: being whatever drive letter your USB drive is.

Do not run this with a prior build. The point is to use the installation media from the WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY UPDATE to fix your PC.

I understood about logging out. But do I have to log back in?
>>>In most cases, yes, you will have to log back in to W10 otherwise you can't use your computer. This is true whether or not you have a Local Login Account, or a Microsoft Account. The only exception to this would be if you removed the security option that asks you to use a password to login to windows. This requires a bit of work to accomplish, and is NOT the default setting W10 comes with. Unless a friend or family member made this change to your computer, or you paid a Tech to remove your login password, you will have to log back in to your computer to use it.
I would suggest following Mike's suggested repairs in his last post
, POST #17 first, and post the results back here for us to look at as he said. We can advise you further from there.<<<

BBJ

I guess Microsoft was trolling me. I've been using a dark theme since 8. Taskbar is black with white text. After the update, the text was changed to black. How could black text show on a black background? I had to change the text color to light blue, then back to white. Now the clock shows.

Thanks all.

I guess Microsoft was trolling me. I've been using a dark theme since 8. Taskbar is black with white text. After the update, the text was changed to black. How could black text show on a black background? I had to change the text color to light blue, then back to white. Now the clock shows.

Thanks all.
You should still be concerned about system file integrity and continue to do sfc /scannow to resolve those issues but I'm glad things are working again.

Back