Windows 10 Windows 10 update crashing at 15% (0xC1900101- 0x2000D)

Cloudsong

Hi.

Owner of win7 home professional here. I like many other tried to download and install the update/upgrade for win 10.

The download went fine and I only need to applicate the files (the phase where it says "notice your pc may need to restart several times..."). I've tried 3 times now, and it is always around the 15-16% that I get this error.

0xC1900101- 0x2000D

The message is in Danish.
Saying:

We have reverted the PC back to the state it was prior to the attempt of installation.

"The installation failed in the process SAFE_OS with a failure/obstacle during MIGRATE_DATA"

What can I do to solve this?

Attachments

• microsoft crash.png
    microsoft crash.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,334
I read one solution where the onboard sound was stopping the upgrade. User disabled the onboard sound via the bios and the upgrade worked although not sure if it will for you or if you even have onboard sound.

Do you have anything attached via the usb ports other than mouse and keyboard? If anything like a printer is attached make sure it's removed or unplugged.

I'd still unplug it and try again. Everything must be removed apart from k'board and mouse.

Im going to try this in a min, if it doesnt work either what do I do then? :/

I just forgot my printer is wireless thus not connected, and as I said had been off the whole time.

Last edited:
Ah ok.. So tell me what is your Windows 7 install like? Is it fully updated with service packs etc?

It is a fully updated legal install on a SSD.

Im currently trying to install it again, but have to download the files(?) for windows10 again(?) and it is for some reason very slow. Stuck at 0% still.

Hmm.. Something is getting in the way of the install but it's finding out what it is thats the hard part. I've been doing a little googling but there's scant info about apart from that it could be the data your using to upgrade could be faulty. Have you tried downloading the upgrade again?
You could also try a clean install but at then you'll need an activation key.
Windows 10

Well I still have my win7 key somewhere. I've tried using the windows update function and I've tried installing it from the ISO file. Same result. Although the download installation with the ISO file was way faster. Now however it is absurdly slow.

It sort of sounds like there may be a problems with open space on the hard drive or even something blocking the transfer like some Anti-Virus or some special install which won't allow the old install to be transferred to the archive.

And I don't know if these referenced files are still appropriate for Windows 10, but maybe you can find something like setuperr.log or setupact.log. There may even be a special one on the C: root directory.

I am not suggesting you attach them if found because there may be personal information in some areas.

Windows Setup Log Files and Event Logs

Now that you mention it my Avast virus popped up with a strange message before, but it only happend the first time. Should I try to deactivate my antivirus before installing?

There should be enough space. I mean I still have 40+ GB of available space on my SSD.

I would always deactivate an anti-virus before installing, but I don't know for sure it could be involved. Maybe kemical knows since he has more experience.

You have 40 GB left on what size drive? Does the 40 GB include accounting for the Windows 10 download?

I suppose you have already tried disabling the anti-virus?

I really can't say if the room on the drive is sufficient.

Im going to try it today. According to microsofts own update service the update should be around 2.3 GB in size. 40 gb should be more that suefficient.

All I can ask is you keep it in mind. The download folder in total may be around 5 GB, but I don't yet have one. The Windows.old folder, where previous data is stored, created during the install my be larger than 15 GB, depending on how much and type of data.

If the system needs 10% free for normal operations, I would think that might put you close enough for it to be a possibility, but not a certainty. I just bring this up because of the message you received. It could be something else entirely.

Edit: The only other thing which may be involved is if you had some type of link to another drive or location where the install could not access it.

Last edited:
Well I've been trying to contact windows live support chat, but I've been in the queue for 4 hours so far.
Update: after being in queue for 4.5 hours I got through. Unfortunately I get no reply after being matched with support. This is an absurd joke.

Last edited:
How did u get on Cloudsong? I have the exact same problem. A colleague of mine had the same/similar issue but he just left his PC chugging away and it eventually moved on from 15% after more than 12 hours and finally upgraded.
I am gonna kick off the upgrade tonight and let it whirl away for as long as possible to see if it finally gets there.
Still it would be great to know what is actually causing this issue.

Back