Windows 7 Windows 10 Version

spysmily1

I have Windows 7 Home installed. I have read that users with Pro and Ultimate will receive Windows 10 Pro while I would receive Windows 10 Home. At what point is this determined? If I were to upgrade my Home to a Pro or Ultimate, would I then receive 10 Pro. I've already reserved my copy through the windows link in the taskbar.

The Windows 10 upgrade will be "Like" for "Like", so your assessment is accurate.
You can undo your reservation at any time, simply right click the upgrade icon (GWX.exe) in the notification area near the clock and choose "Check your upgrade status", then click the three line "hamburger icon" in the top left of the resultant windows and choose "View confirmation". There you will see a link to "Cancel reservation".

Do your upgrade to Pro or Ultimate and then re-reserve.

Quite frankly, I'd wait for 10 Home and then upgrade it to 10 Pro. You're going to pay the same $99.00 either way.
I tried checking this on my laptop this week after reading about the Windows 10 prices. Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro cost's $99.00. Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro cost's $99.00.
I'm personally waiting until fall to get the 10 Pro upgrade on my laptop. I'll receive 10 Home on it in July and 10 Pro on my desktop.
After, I have both upgraded to 10, I'm doing clean installs on both.
I'm probably going to see what 10 Home has in it compaired to 10 Pro.
If the only thing that's different is the changes in 10 Pro being able to choose when or if to install updates.
If that's the only difference between the 2, the $99.00 upgrade is kind of unnecessary for most people.
Now if 10 Home can't do thing's like configure account lockout threshold, etc. Then the upgrade to 10 Pro on a laptop, will be worth it, to me. As I can control how many tries someone get's at cracking my password to get in my laptop. They won't do it in 3-5 tries, not even if they know me. My passwords are long with letters, numbers and symbols. I alway's change them and keep them long.
My router is blocked to let any device use it, unless I physally allow them to. Even it's access password won't let them use my network.
That last one I put into effect, as a few roomate's don't like paying bill's on time. I receive my money real fast when I kill there internet and cable tv off.
I usually get my money in 1 - 3 hour's.

Last edited:
@Trouble Thanks for the cancel trick. Didn't know it existed. I will try it when I get home.

@brkkab I'm wanting to have a full pro off the bat to possibly do a clean install. Is the upgrade to pro going to be the same as it was for Windows 8.1? You install 8.1 then have to update to pro after installation.

@spyfamily1 You'll be able to do a clean install either way according to Microsoft's Gabe Aul. He's stated on his Twitter blog about being able to do a clean install of Windows 10 after you upgrade to Windows 10 first. He hasn't gone into any details about yet. This was posted by him after I pointed out a serious flaw with the upgrade process from one version of windows to the next version. Windows 8 to 8.1 was the only exception to this flaw. The system reserved partition size for Windows 10 is 450mbs. Windows 8/8.1 is 350mbs. I don't remember how big 7's is, but I'm sure it's smaller than 8/8.1's is.
When you upgrade from one version to the next, a system reserved partition is already there from the old o.s., so the new o.s. isn't going to create anymore system reserved partition's, as one that is too small to work properly is already there. Thing's like making a system image won't work as it doesn't have enough space for shadow copy to work.
Technically if you upgrade to 10 and then do a clean install of it after the initial upgrade install, the upgrade from 10 Home to 10 Pro should be fine, as all you're doing is adding more feature's to the same o.s. 10 Pro only has whatever features that 10 Home doesn't, nothing else is any different.
Now, if Gabe Aul is b.s'ing everyone, which he could be doing, the only way to do a clean install is if they give us iso file's of 10 for downloading after the initial upgrade.
I won't really be suprized if they're just expecting everyone to do a refresh install after the upgrade, especially considering it's a free upgrade for 7 & 8.1 user's.
Just like it's truly stupid that a 8 user has to upgrade to 8.1 before they can get 10.
With that last one, technically speaking, in all reality, that same scenario should apply to 7.

You will have your choice of upgrading or doing a a clean install. I am with you on doing the clean install over upgrading.

As a 7 Pro user, I got the offer of 10. I've reserved it, but have decided to wait til winter, end of the year, to get some experiences from people who have tried it. Very content with 7, supported to 2020. "Do not fix what isn't broken". Eh?

I'm personally waiting until July 2016 to do my update to 10 Pro. I've run all the 10 Technical Previews since October 2015. Since the first TP in January, it's become obvious that Microsoft's more interested in adding new feature's, than they are in fixing older bug's first.
Build 10130 thoroughly messed up my laptop after 1 day. It's now unusable, as it bsod's at the login screen.
Build 10159 is obviously buggy. As soon as it was installed, I checked to see if they had any updates for it. I got a few for Microsoft's preinstalled store app's.
I then restarted my pc and went into Windows 8.1 Pro to do some things.
I then restarted and was going to go back into 10. (I have 8.1 on one ssd and 10 on a 2nd ssd) 10 was no longer listed as a os to select for logging into. I tried msconfig in 8.1 and it still didn't fix the issue.
I then booted from my 10 build 10130 flash drive, formatted and deleted all 10 partitions on the 2nd ssd.
10 isn't obviously ready for anyone to use.
I'll see how things are in early July 2016.
If they haven't improved, they can keep it.

I'm personally waiting until July 2016 to do my update to 10 Pro. I've run all the 10 Technical Previews since October 2015. Since the first TP in January, it's become obvious that Microsoft's more interested in adding new feature's, than they are in fixing older bug's first.
Build 10130 thoroughly messed up my laptop after 1 day. It's now unusable, as it bsod's at the login screen.
Build 10159 is obviously buggy. As soon as it was installed, I checked to see if they had any updates for it. I got a few for Microsoft's preinstalled store app's.
I then restarted my pc and went into Windows 8.1 Pro to do some things.
I then restarted and was going to go back into 10. (I have 8.1 on one ssd and 10 on a 2nd ssd) 10 was no longer listed as a os to select for logging into. I tried msconfig in 8.1 and it still didn't fix the issue.
I then booted from my 10 build 10130 flash drive, formatted and deleted all 10 partitions on the 2nd ssd.
10 isn't obviously ready for anyone to use.
I'll see how things are in early July 2016.
If they haven't improved, they can keep it.

When you install a 2nd OS on your 2nd SSD; are you removing the power/data cable from the 1st SSD that has 8.1 Pro on it. If not the MBR for both are on the C drive....which might be part of your issue. To multi-boot HDD/SSD drives you have to remove the power/data cables from (preferably) the mobo of the existing HDD/SSD drives connected. This is to keep the MBR intact and separate for each HDD/SSD.

bassfisher6522:I found the issue. Windows 10 since Build 10130, doesn't like not being the default o.s.
I did a clean install of build 10162 yesterday. It has some serious issues. It stopped my 5.1 speakers from working.
So far from what I've seen 10 may be ready to replace Windows 8/8.1 RT devices without issues.
On a non RT device, it's not worth upgrading to.
As each build since build 9926, it's gotten worse, instead of better.
I'll try each new build they release, but I'm sticking to my July 2016 decision.
It's unusable for me as a default o.s. Too much doesn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom