Windows 10 windows 10 wifi in safe mode

Yes. I've been using Windows since XP, so I know how to use Safe Mode with networking. Do you have Windows 10? I'm looking for people who have actually had this issue of Wifi not working in Safe Mode with Networking and figured out how to fix it. If it's already working for you, then you may not know how to troubleshoot this.

It appears the Network UX Broker service doesn't work in safe mode. This is the pop up menu that allows you to pick and connect to a wireless network. You can however connect from netsh.
  • Open an elevated command prompt
  • Type netsh
  • Type wlan
  • Type show profiles, you should see your wireless profile here for this example we'll called MyWifi
  • Then type connect name=<profilename> ssid=<ssidname> the profile name and ssid are generally going to be the same.
    • connect name=MyWifi ssid=MyWifi
  • You should now be connected

I uploaded a pic of what I tried. Says there is no wireless interface on the system, but wireless exists and works in normal mode.

Attachments

• No Wireless Interface.PNG
    No Wireless Interface.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 661
Is your wireless nic available under network adapters in safe mode, or does it use a third party utility to connect with?

I have a built-in wireless adapter built into the tablet, not some third party device. So it should be available, but when I go into safe mode, the adapter is not available. I'll post the state of my device manager here. Give me a minute.

Here are some of the data I gathered. I'll post the rest in another post.

Attachments

• Capabilities.PNG
    Capabilities.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 527
  • Code 37.PNG
    Code 37.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 320
  • Compatible Ids.PNG
    Compatible Ids.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 437
  • Config Flags.PNG
    Config Flags.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 416
  • Device Description.PNG
    Device Description.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Device Instance Path.PNG
    Device Instance Path.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 435
  • Device Manager State (Safe Mode Only).PNG
    Device Manager State (Safe Mode Only).PNG
    51.4 KB · Views: 456
  • Driver Key.PNG
    Driver Key.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 334
  • Hardware Ids.PNG
    Hardware Ids.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 426
  • Has Problem.PNG
    Has Problem.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 410
Here's the rest.

Attachments

• Install State.PNG
    Install State.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 430
  • In Root Container.PNG
    In Root Container.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 253
  • Is Connected.PNG
    Is Connected.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 400
  • Power State.PNG
    Power State.PNG
    14 KB · Views: 271
  • Problem Code.PNG
    Problem Code.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Status.PNG
    Status.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 492
  • Problem Status.PNG
    Problem Status.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 401
So in one of those pictures it shows the wireless nic is on "Intel SD host controller", if you can locate this device in Device Manager, go to properties > Driver > Driver details and list the drivers it uses. Also does the SD host controller show any error codes under Device Status on the general tab?

In safe mode, the SDHC shows no error codes anywhere, however, in normal mode 3 SDHCs are shown. In safe mode, only two are shown. Any ideas why?

Attachments

• Safe Mode.PNG
    Safe Mode.PNG
    45.4 KB · Views: 461
  • SDHC1.PNG
    SDHC1.PNG
    6.7 KB · Views: 282
  • SDHC2.PNG
    SDHC2.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 342
  • SDHC3.PNG
    SDHC3.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 385
  • Normal Mode.PNG
    Normal Mode.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 455
I don't know, but it's very possible that the missing one is the controller the wireless is using. If that is the case then that is why the driver won't initialize.

Back in the XP days I believe you could add drivers to boot in safe mode by adding a key for your driver to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network. I do not think this works anymore. I did test it with a vmware driver and it was a no go. Ultimately if the SD HC that is not present is in fact where the nic resides you would need to figure a way to force it to load. This may not be possible and I am unable to direct you on getting that to load in safe mode. You may be SOL.

Back