Windows 10 Windows 10 wouldn't open

WilliamP

Extraordinary Member
I talked my sister- in-law to purchasing a new DELL with Windows 10.. She had it set up to open after she put in her 4 digit code. Yesterday after a several hour pause in using the computer her code wouldn't work. She had to put in her Microsoft password to open Windows 10. What happened?.

Last edited:
I don't have the answer but for my information:
Was it the first time after selecting the code option that she tried to login with her code?
Several hours pause, does that mean that she was logged in but did not use it until she got screen locked?

She had been using the code for a couple of months. My understanding is that she had been using the computer in the morning and when she went back to it later it asked for the code ,but wouldn't take it.

Hi there,
Thanks for your question. Tuesdays are automatic Patch-Tuesdays when security patches and fixes get pushed out from Microsoft to everyone that's running a W10 computer. Sometimes, about once a month or so those updates (Windows Updates) will cause your computer to reboot. If your computer has any issues, or the version of W10 is out of date, settings will get changed inadvertently due to changes in the computer's Registry from the Updates. Usually, the settings can be manually changed back to what they were prior to the changes caused by WU. However, in some cases it requires more advanced software repairs up to and including Windows reset or Windows reinstallation.:headache:

It would be helpful to know WHICH version of W10 your sis-in-law has, W10 Home or W10 Pro. In the last few months we recently found out there is a flaw in W10 Home which does NOT allow you to turn off these automatic updates, nor can you reschedule them for a convenient time such as in the middle of the night when the computer is not being used.:headache: W10 Pro (which costs twice as much) does have those 2 capabilities and thus you can disable Windows updates so that they do not interrupt her while she is running a program. Most people today tend to run multiple programs concurrently, and when one or more of those programs is writing to your hard drive and a forced Windows update comes in and reboots your computer, this can cause damage to the data files on the hard drive, or in some cases as we've seen, crash the hard drive where it becomes in-useable and the data on it can even become unrecoverable unless you send it out to Professional Data Recovery which can cost many hundreds of dollars.:waah:

The other thing we've noticed, is that many W10 computers are bought used or even Refurbished, and they have the 2 older versions of W10 which pre-date the W10 Anniversary Update from last Aug. 1st 2016. Since you didn't tell us WHEN she purchased the computer or the build date, we are left to guess that. Older Pre-AU Windows10 versions such as v10240 and v1511 can become mucked up if the update coming into your W10 computer is the v1607 (Post-AU update). This newest update almost always causes W10 to crash and or malfunction, and should not be attempted. A Clean Install is the recommended method to convert your W10 version to post-AU. To check your sis-in-law's computer for her W10 version, do this: use the keyboard on her computer and use <windows+logo-key and the R-key> simultaneously. This will bring up the Windows Run box. Type in the command "WINVER" into the Run box, and hit the <enter> key on her keyboard. This will bring up a small screen with the exact version of her W10. Please post that back here so we can identify which version she has. I'll post a pic of this for you below. This process only takes 5-minutes, and will help us to identify which version her Dell computer is running and then make specific recommendations to you for repair. There are about a dozen sub-versions of W10 v1607 now, and the latest is v1607 b14393.693.
Here's a pic of the WINVER command information screen:
W10 WINVER CMD STUDIO540 9-17-16.JPG

Another thing we'll need to know, is whether or not your sis-in-law has W10 Home or W10 Pro as I asked above; so we need 2 pieces of critical information to help you. Post both of those answers back to this thread. To find out which version of W10 she has, right-click on the White Windows Logo Start Flag on the lower left corner of her W10 desktop, on the large menu that comes up, select SYSTEM option and left-click it. This will bring up the System screen, and at the top, under WINDOWS EDITION you will see either Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home. Sometimes, it will just say Windows 10 without the word Home on it. This is indeed W10 Home, and unless you see the word "PRO" in that description, it's still W10 Home.
Here's a pic of the SYSTEM screen:
w10acitivated.png

Gathering these 2 pieces of information may take you 10 min. or so and another 10 min. to post back the answers.

In the mean time, you should try to simply manually reset her login from Password back Pin options and see if that works. 3 minutes. Go to OPEN ACTION CENTER->ALL SETTINGS->ACCOUNTS->SIGN-IN OPTIONS. Select PIN, and re-enter her 4 digit PIN and save. Exit and reboot her computer. That should fix it for her!:up: If it doesn't, after you post back your SIL's (sis-in-law) information we asked you for we can make more recommendations on further troubleshooting you should do to identify the problem and repair or reinstall W10 as mentioned.

Since you've been on W10 for 7 years, I'm hoping this won't be too difficult for you.

Best of luck,:clover:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

@Henk: good questions, but it doesn't matter; my Post covers all eventualities. If she resets her PIN in her Account or changes the login type at the Welcome Screen and it fails to work, then something got scrambled in from the Patch Tuesday updates. :( Many people create a Pin and don't write it down, and when it fails 6 times, W10 will revert to making your enter the Password that was setup when she originally turned the computer on for the first time after taking it out of it's factory box. If she forgot that Password, she has to go through the normal W10 Password Recovery which is posted here on WF; just use the Search box to find it.

Cheers!;)

BBJ

I am 20 miles from the computer and she won't be home till after 3. I do know that it is Windows 10 Home.

Well a pin is a local only authentication, so my guess is the user had setup the a pin originally, then may have used a Windows store application. The Store requires a Microsoft account. By setting that account up it switched the authentication from local to MS account. I believe the pin can't be used on it's own at this point.

Her Windows is the latest version. I managed to get it to boot to the original code.She went into the Sign-in options and tried to get it to boot with out a code. But it still wanted the code.

Last edited:
You'll need to go into system settings [windows key + I] and user accounts. There will be an option to switch to a local account, then she can use a pin.

Neemo's right there. Unless of course there's a virus/malware causing the problem or Windows registry corruption which requires more advanced troubleshooting of W10 as well as Hardware testing. It sounds like the Dell is relatively new. Can you return it to the store where she purchased it from? Stores like Best Buy and Fry's will often fix this problem for free on a new computer,:D or hit you with a minimal charge such as $40-$65 to solve this kind of problem for you. :headache: However, if W10 is scrambled from the weekly Windows Update, and W10 Home does not the capability to disable them, they will likely charge you more.:cash: If they have to Reset W10 or completely reinstall W10 it will definitely cost you more. Computer stores are having to deal with this now more frequently since W10 Home can't disable the weekly updates, and lots more folks purchase computers with W10 Home than W10 Pro, due to the often lower price point, so they are getting their computers scrambled more often. :headache: W10 Pro users have the ability to disable or reschedule the updates and hence mitigate this sort of thing from happening.

You might consider paying the store she bought it from to upgrade to W10 Pro if you/she can afford to do so. Otherwise, you might return the computer for a refund, buy a model with W10 Pro preinstalled on it or get one from a different store or even Dell online.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BBJ>>>>

I want to thank you all for the help. Right now it is opening with her original pin. So I am happy with that.

I am not positive, but this is what I believe. I found out that she uses the key pad numbers on the right side of the key board. The num lock was probably on. So after several attempts it locked her out. I had her go into the sign in options ant try to reset the pin.At this point it would open with the original pin. I also tried to remove the pin,but that didn't work. I feel that it would be better if it would just boot up without the pin. My wife has a laptop Windows 10 that boots without any thing.

I never had found it from here.
You did an excellent job!

Booting up without pin or whatever: you are the only one who can estimate the risks....

Greetings from the Netherlands

Thank you my friend. Her husband is dead and I am her computer tech. I am not great at it,but I know where to get help. When something happens she calls my wife crying.

Hi

If you don't feel that there is a security risk you could just set it to log in directly with no Pin or Password.
That's what I've done for years, it used to be so that I could go get a cup of coffee while it booted up.

Now my computer boots in a few seconds but I'm too lazy to have to enter my pin or password.

Just click on Windows key plus R and type in...

netplwiz

Deselect the box that says User must use a User Name and Password to log in.

Confirm by using your password and after that all you have to do is push the on button.

Mike

Back