Windows 7 Windows 7 (32bit) freezes with Filezilla Ftp Client

johnmerrick

Hi,

i bought a brand new samsung laptop with Windows 7 on it yesterday but Filezilla has crashed it twice forcing me to switch it off by the power button. It froze it completely. The first time was as it tried to start the very first download and the second was about 15 minutes after.

Is there something i have missed settings wise? I am downloading to the partitioned 'D' drive and not the 'C' drive..

Never had this before with Filezilla on XP. I downloaded the app from Ninite.

Advice appreciated, Thanks.

PS: The reason there is a partition called 'D' is that the laptop recommended creating it so it could do it's 'system backup' there.

I also use FileZilla as my FTP client, on windows 7 32 and 64Bit. I have a second partition and another hard drive. I can use any of the three without problems. Filezilla is installed with its untouched default settings. I suspect you proble may be with the site or file which you are trying to download.

thanks for the reply.

need to test it a bit more tonight. I am downloading from a server so i have asked them the question too.

I was just wondering whether i need to change any security / firewall / admin settings in windows.

Ah! I forgot that. I have windows firewall disabled. I use my router firewall. Definitely a possibility.

I think i have solved this and it wasn't Filezilla on it's own i have a feeling it was any kind of Downloading in general.

it looks like (fingers crossed) it is Malwarebytes ip protection that was causing the freeze. When it is disabled it doesn't happen. i read somewhere else that Kaspersky was causing a lot of freezes so i checked the security apps that i have.

We will see...

Hello John,
Just an FYI for you.
It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibility.)
Windows 7 Compatibility: Resources for PCs, Devices and Software Programs
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".
There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
Windows Client | Deploy, Manage, Desktop, 7, Vista, XP | TechNet
In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!
As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Back