Windows 7 Windows 7 64-Bit + New Computer = Complete mess

Brittany

Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong section, if so, would an admin kindly move it. :)

PC Specs:
P5n32-E SLI Plus Motherboard
2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM
2 x 512MB Nvidia Geforce GFX
750GB Internal HDD (Changed from the originally given 250GB, due to suspicions this was causing my PC issues.)

Okay so I just got myself a nice shiny new computer. And alas, the problems already started. I have Windows 7 64-Bit on a disc, and the original OS this PC came with was Vista 32. Immediately after turning it on the problems started. As soon as Vista got past the loading screen, a blue screen of death would pop up, and it would restart, and loop.

So I popped in the Windows 7 64-Bit disc, chose for the PC to boot from the disc as it's primary boot device, and hey presto, it worked, it began to install.

After this, it decided to restart, but immediately more issues arose. For some reason, the graphics seemed broken on the start up display. Windows 7 then proceeded to 'finalize installation' in which it decided it would throw up another blue screen displaying values like 'nvlddmkm.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA'.

So here I am, thinking I've been duped by the person who sold me this computer that was built by himself, firstly due to the blue screen on Vista originally, and secondly due to the inability at all to load Windows 7 either, and popping up new blue screens.

So if you can help, please do give me some information on what I can do. :D

Note: It's not a hard disk error, as I had this problem with the original 250GB disk, then decided to hook up my previously external 750GB, which worked, installed, but performed the same blue screen at the same point that the 250 did.

Thank you!

It is a graphics card error. Did you upgrade Vista or option for a fresh install?

It is a graphics card error. Did you upgrade Vista or option for a fresh install?

Question is then.. which graphics card.. if not both of them.

I didn't upgrade. I formatted the drive, and freshly installed Windows 7 64-Bit

I,ve been browsing around, and it seems that it can be a problem if that particular graphics card has been overclocked. Problem here is, you have to get into the OS to underclock it through the Nvidia Control Panel. Was A working copy of Vista 32 already on the computer, and is it still there and accessible? Meanwhile, how about trying it with only one graphics card installed??

I have never been into overclocking, but maybe by bumping this thread someone can offer a solution.

I,ve been browsing around, and it seems that it can be a problem if that particular graphics card has been overclocked. Problem here is, you have to get into the OS to underclock it through the Nvidia Control Panel. Was A working copy of Vista 32 already on the computer, and is it still there and accessible? Meanwhile, how about trying it with only one graphics card installed??

I have never been into overclocking, but maybe by bumping this thread someone can offer a solution.

Hmm.. Well I can get into the BIOS which seems to offer the ability to disable and enable certain things, although I'm not sure exactly what to do. It also seems to offer some options with overclocking, although once more, I'm not touching what I don't know.

My brother's coming round later to check it out (he's pretty good with computers, unlike computer illiterate people like me :( ) and he has an XP 64 bit disc, so hopefully I can use that.

The problem before with Vista 32 was that it wouldn't load, it would give the same blue screen of death past the loading screen, and it would only load up properly in safe mode..

Hopefully your brother will know how to tweak down the clocking on your bios. I think we would be grateful if you could post back details. It's all a learning experience.

Well. That was interesting.

Firstly, he told me the version of Windows 7 I had was 'duff' :(

So firstly I installed XP 64-Bit, which worked in safe mode, but nothing else, producing the same looping error at start up.

So I grabbed the secondary graphics card and put it in the primary graphics card port. Problem solved. :)

Glad to hear you got the problem fixed Brittany! :) It sure can be discouraging especially when dealing with a brand new computer.. ;)

Back