Windows 10 Windows 7/8/10 Home Product key.

Did you upgrade from a legitimate copy of Windows 7/8?

If so, then Windows 10 is automatically activated - no key is needed.
Otherwise, the only other way is to purchase a key from a legitimate source.

Whether or not you upgraded from a legit copy of Win7/8 shouldn't matter, as Microsoft is giving to everyone free for 1 year, legit existing license or not. The issue is, if you want to activate now and you don't have a legit license, you'll have to buy one now; for probably $80-$130 or so online. Then run the W10 upgrade, no key required as Dave says, and you're good to go. You'll have a legit W10 license that's activated.

However, if you'd rather play now, and pay later, and you don't have a legit license or key as you say, you can keep the W10 you've already upgraded to (or if you haven't done yet but are planning to do so soon), and use for 1 yr. from the date you run(ran) the upgrade; then you'll get a popup box in 1 year's time from Microsoft telling you basically that your Windows is deactivated, and that you must cough up a credit card for online purchase from $120 for W10 Home to continue using it. If you choose not to pay MS at that point, you'll no longer get W10 updates, or security updates for your Windows from MS, your copy of W10 will stay deactivated and other programs will stop working correctly as well. Your choice.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

That's interesting. I missed that News, somewhere along the path!

I know that anyone can upgrade for free, legit or not, within the one year period, which, I believe, started in July, but I certainly didn't know that it would remain usable for a year. Would that be from July, or from the time of their upgrade?

@Dave;
This is my current understanding, and there were many posts on this forum and on Microsoft's Insider community forum on this. That is that if people install W10 upgrade on July 29th they have 1 yr. until next July 29th to use for free. If let's say someone upgraded Sep. 1st, they will have until Sep. 1st 2016 to use for free. Including a video post from Gabe Abul of the W10 Microsoft team. Prior to July 29th, there was much discussion on this, and I received several questions about this back in April when I presented the first of our W10 workshops at my local computer club. In April, this subject was up for grabs, no one had a definitive answer. Much like the name of the new W10 web browser (was Spartan, and got changed to Edge in the RTM release).:rolleyes:

We've got some actual Microsoft employees as well as developers on this forum and the other forums I'm on as well. I'll be glad to be corrected on this point, if it's changed since July 29th, as that's the information I've been given. If that's not correct, I invite any MS people reading this to correct me, and I will happily change what I'm telling people, in the online forums, my local computer club workshops and meetings, as well as my Clients. If that was changed by MS, then they certainly didn't disseminate that information very well, and we W10 Insiders didn't get any E-mail communications about it either, as I get all of those.

I suggest we ask Mike Fara for help, as I believe he is or was an actual MS employee? Is this correct? Mike if you're reading this could we ask you to look into this and provide some clarification for us. We certainly don't want to give people the wrong information. If people upgrade to W10 this week, and they only have 8 months of free usage versus 1 year, we need to communicate that out to our members.

Cheers!
<<<BBJ>>>

Don't misunderstand, BigBear. I am not disagreeing, or arguing with you. I would just like to read a source. I confess,, that, since reading your first post, I have browsed extensively, also on MS forums, and cannot for the life of me, find any confirmation.
Naturally, as I help others, I would like to be sure of this, rather than pass on bad information.

No problem, Dave. There was certainly a lot of both good and bad information that came out right at July 29th. I did some more research today on it, and I cannot find that video or the twitter feed from Gabe Abul I mentioned. o_O (who says everything posted on the Internet stay there forever--LOL!). Based on the current information I read, I think Microsoft has changed their position somewhat.

This is a quote from the latest "How to Upgrade to Windows 10" page on Microsoft.com here:
************************************************************************************************************
1 Windows Offer Details
Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; internet access fees may apply. Estimated retail price of Windows 10 Home shown, actual retail prices may vary. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************
Link to above webpage: How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft

What I'm finding now, is that Microsoft execs are NOT planning on charging for the Win10 upgrade, if you have a legit upgrade path on previously licensed Win7 (SP1) or Win8.1 product; even after the July 29, 2016 date. I found some other sources that say Microsoft may charge people who got the upgrade from non-legit versions of Win7/8.1, after the July 29.2016 date, but that's not yet set in stone. Also, Microsoft may charge people for Win10 licenses if they upgraded from earlier versions of Windows such as XP or Vista via Clean Install method (given the hardware they are running on will take the W10 upgrade).

What isn't clear is whether or not if you upgrade say on Nov. 29 this month (2015), and you have gotten there by converting from a non-legit Win7/8.1 install, or XP or Vista earlier versions of Windows whether or not you have a full 1 year to use free. That would be an expiration of Nov. 29, 2016 before retail W10 pricing would kick in. ($119: W10 Home; $199: W10 Pro). 1 full year for free. With the version of the story you have, they would only have 8 months before having to pay coming up on the July 29, 2016 expiration date. I think we should stick with this story for now, better to tell users 8 months and have it wind up being a year than vice-versa.

It would appear that Microsoft is planning on giving all users until July 29, 2016 to perform the upgrade, whether from a legit earlier Windows version or not, and if legit not charge for the upgrade EVER. This would be concomittant with the other statements by Microsoft that there may never be a Win11, Win12, etc. just new updates.

Since I can't produce any sources, I think we should go with the current information that's on Microsoft's site and articles from reliable e-zines (CNET, ARS, PC World, etc.). Unless we get different input from someone posting to this thread directly from Microsoft, I think it makes sense to tell people that they have 1 full year July 29 2015-->July 29 2016 to get the free upgrade if they have a legit Win7/8.1 source; and that if you are a non-legit upgrader, you've only got 8 months before you could be charged after you do the upgrade and use it for free before having to acquire a legit license (W10 or Win7/8.1).

All of this discussion precludes people who install the Tech Preview version, or were Insiders entitled to their "free copy" of W10. It will be interesting what decision Microsoft makes about whether to charge the non-legit upgraders or not after the July 29 2016 date. The rub here is people in general will think they are going to get 1 free full-year to use the W10 before they have to pay. For legit upgraders, that seems to have gone out the window (pun intended). I think this is a good thing. For non-legit upgraders, they will not want to pay no matter what date Microsoft expires their free W10, they will look for a way to keep it running for free (a la Tech Preview editions with Microsoft accounts).

I'll defer here, and go with whatever Microsoft is currently telling us, or what they appear to be telling us until I can find a good documented source saying otherwise. I always encourage my Clients to go the legit upgrade manner anyways.

Cheers! (sorry for the lengthy post).
<<<BBJ>>>

So, having perused your long post, Nothing other than what I intimated, and certainly nothing there which is already well known.

I think, fort the moment, I will go along with the established precedent foe MS software - 90 days without activation, and then the pop-ups will start followed by degradation.

What would be interesting is, would be, if there are any forum members who have been using an unactivated edition, for more than 90 days, could type Winver into the run, and see what result it gives.??

I know that anyone can upgrade for free, legit or not
You cannot upgrade unless the copy of windows you have is Genuine and activated. All that nonsense about pirates getting a free licence simply isn't true and is a rumour started by websites.
As a MVP I've not heard what Microsoft's plans are once the year is over meaning I'm not sure what you will have to pay for. Certainly updates like the recent major update will probably cost money in the future but we'll have to see. I do know but am under NDA to not reveal that some exciting news regarding Office will soon be with us.

No. A misunderstanding, or semantics on my part. Anyone CAN upgrade for nothing. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't give them an activated free copy.

Interesting domestic scenario at this end.

My son, on my urging, installed the windows 10 upgrade to his previous windows 8.1. This was more than a month ago.
The Dell Laptop was an early i5.
He has now decided to sell this off, as it is showing its age, but works 100& with Windows 10.

The Laptop itself has very little value. But he is indignant,. The previously bought Windows 8.1, is probably worth more than the Hardware.
As he cynically says. Windows 10 is NOT free, he paid for Windows 8.1 in order to upgrade. Now he is literally giving it away.
He works as a service engineer for Dell, and is planning to take the matter a little further with our national MS branch.
Luckily, he has good images of the previous OS and, putting these back, seems to have been successful - so far, as far as activation is concerned
Interesting point he has raised for me here though. It is a matter of how you perceive it but, Windows 10 is most certainly not free. Windows 8.1 was, in the method of application..

Later.

Ok. He has brought the laptop over to my house. What we have done, is reinstalled the OEM (Windows 7 Pro), using a standard DVD and the key on the sticker.. We have installed all the major and relevant updates since. Already it is offering the upgrade, which has been accepted, and it is downloading as I write. What we are interested in, is, when complete, will it be activated, and by using what old key. My personal view is that the MS server will identify the motherboard, and use the 8.1 key. We are holding our breathe.

Last edited:
Well I guess this is true for retail licence owners certainly.. As you say interesting point. It also begs the question is it actually worth upgrading because once you do then the os is forever tied to the machine. You lose the advantages the retail licence brings so if I was in that situation I'd have to think long and hard about upgrading.

Back