Windows 7 Windows 7 and Dell

bolster55

Hi all,
I run a Dell M6500 laptop with Win7.
When connecting to the internet it starts downloading "stuff', sometimes after 5 or 10 minutes, which I have no control over or find out where it is coming from. I have disabled auto update and my anti virus etc. If I go to explorer for internet history the files in doc and settings are locked. I have wiped the hard drive twice and started again from scratch, no luck.
I tried to load Win XP but it will not load it, is that because it is a Dell?
All my software is legal, and my anti virus is updated after notifying me it is doing so. When starting from fresh without any extra programs it does it also.
Any help suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi all,
I run a Dell M6500 laptop with Win7.
When connecting to the internet it starts downloading "stuff', sometimes after 5 or 10 minutes, which I have no control over or find out where it is coming from. I have disabled auto update and my anti virus etc. If I go to explorer for internet history the files in doc and settings are locked. I have wiped the hard drive twice and started again from scratch, no luck.
I tried to load Win XP but it will not load it, is that because it is a Dell?
All my software is legal, and my anti virus is updated after notifying me it is doing so. When starting from fresh without any extra programs it does it also.
Any help suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi Bolster and welcome

BY "stuff" what do you mean? How do you know?
Usually there will always be some traffic in both directions (email, etc). It may just be a normal amount of traffic.
We need a bit more info

Thanks

Ken

Hello Ken,
What happens is that when I download from the internet, last night I tried to download Zonealarm, when I git to 62mb's my download meter registered 95mb's and exceeding in speed in relation to downloading zonealarm. This only happens on my laptop not my desktop. I have also noticed as time goes on folders are locked and therefore I cannot look at internet history even with admin rights.

Regards
Phil

What download meter are you referring to?

Some file may need to be copied to your desktop to open. Usually this occurs because something is in use.

If you open Task Manager and use the Networking tab, do the speeds show as you would think? Does a download continue after Zone Alarm is downloaded?

Hello Ken,
Thank you very much for your assistance.
The download meter is a software package from my service provider that shows at what rate the download is working, eg Kbps and data received. I was unable to finish downloading Zonealarm as whatever was downloading besides zonealarm was over taking it, the zonealarm download practically stopped and the "other" download was increasing at a rate of 3:1. No software package is installed on my laptop, that could download, as I deleted everything besides the essentials. Update is turned of, my anti virus, AVG, asks to download.
???????
I am at a loss what is causing this, including the locking of files.
On my desktop I do not have this problem, I run the same irus but Windows XP.

Regards
Phil

I am not so familiar with networking utilities that I could recommend any software to check what is being downloaded.

But if you open the Task Manager, go to Performance page and click the Resource Monitor button, you can open the Network tab and see if anything there shows what might be going on. It will list the Network activity and what process might be starting it. Perhaps something there will help..

To all that have replied, thank you very much, all suggestions greatly appreciated.
I have formatted the harddisc and installed XP, I'm a bit more familiar with it than Win7. When I become more computer savvy I might change.

Thanks again and regards

Back
Top Bottom