Windows 7 Windows 7 and Network Card

Joseph

Hi all. Wonder if you can help.

Just recenty upgraded to Windows 7 home from Vista. No problems but couldnt get on the internet. rang my provider and they did some checks. They said that the Ip address was 169 and that wasnt correct and the physical address was Zeros ending in E0 and that wasnt correct either.

So they said they couldnt help me as the feed from them was fine but it was my computer.

Spoke to a tech guy and he did some checks and he said that the intel network card i have may not be compatible. I have a wirless router so i used my laptop to download the latest drivers and loaded them on no problem but still no luck.

I spoke to the Tech guy again and he said that the card was incompatibale and needed a new one.

Bought one, put the computer on and still no luck. the Tech guy then asked me to go to the network card and some values manually. I checked again and still getting the ip address as 169 and the Physical value as zeros with E0 at the end.

He said that the problem could be that the Intel Network card is on the motherboard and it is reading from there even though i have put in a new card.

Can any one help? When i put my router on the IP address changes from 169 to 192 but i get the zeros on the physicla address still.

If i need to go to back to vista i take it i would need to do a clean install. How would i do that? I have the back up disks for the clean install.

My computer is packard bell Iextreme J8510.

Thank you in advance.

To answer both points. It was an upgrade from Vista home to Windows 7 Home. The ethernet I am using is a Intel 82566dc-2.

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

There i poll going on now and "clean" install is winning by a mile,.

Could you please fill in your computer specs in the UserCP link at the top left hand side of the page.

Then click Edit Your Details.

This freeware program will give you all the information you will need:

SIV (System Information Viewer) 4.03

Yes, the make and model of your sound card would be of great help

Back