Windows 7 Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000 - Black screen during installation

I am in the same situation martylavender is in.

"I think everyone is getting ahead of me here.

I am not completing install. You cannot go into Safe Mode suring setup. It will tell you Setup cannot be completed from Safe Mode. Reboot and complete setup."

If i reboot, press F8 and either try to select low-resolution, or else try to select safe mode, i still get the same message "Setup cannot be completed. Reboot and complete setup."

any ideas?

I'd the same problem. Please reinstall windows and be a little more patient. A black screen and afterwards the windows wallpaper is shown. This could last some minutes and harddrive isn't working all the time. After re-installation the problem was fixed on my system.
Different attempts to fix the problem without reinstallation does not work. As already mentioned finishing the installation in safe mode is - as expected before - is not working.

I hope this helps and your system does not run in the simular problem after windows update. :eek: This problem occured on my system right after finishing installation of win 7. I think I'd to reinstall the system again. :(

I can't get the option for low resolution

If I hit F8 while windows is booting I get the to the screen that allows me to use safe mode but there is no option for low resolution (640X480).
Is there a trick to getting that option to show up?

Sorry wasn't as precise as it should be. The safe mode is the correct one, this shows up with the mentioned lower resolution.

But then I get to the screen that has a dialog box on it that says setup can't finish in safe mode and the only thing you can do is click OK and reboot. Does anybody know of a way around that scenario?

Setup doesn't complete DVI/HDMI GeForce 7100

> Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
> Chipsatz : nVidia GeForce 7100
> Prozessor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2533 MHz
> Physikalischer Speicher : 4096 MB
> LCD plugged into DVI (buildin GPU - nvidia 7100 / nforce 630i)

Setup didn't complete. Got new pci-express vga-card ---> Setup completet (LCD plugged into DVI-Port)

Found a blog, the guy was telling he got strange problems (same board). Setup didn't complete with LCD plugged into HDMI, he switched to VGA and setup completed.

I uninstalled the new vga-card, plugged LCD into VGA-port -----> SETUP completed !!!!

> Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
> Chipsatz : nVidia GeForce 7100
> Prozessor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2533 MHz
> Physikalischer Speicher : 4096 MB
> LCD plugged into DVI (buildin GPU - nvidia 7100 / nforce 630i)

Setup didn't complete. Got new pci-express vga-card ---> Setup completet (LCD plugged into DVI-Port)

Found a blog, the guy was telling he got strange problems. Setup didn't complete with LCD plugged into HDMI, he switched to VGA and setup completed.

I uninstalled the new vga-card, plugged LCD into VGA-port -----> SETUP completed !!!!

VISTA had no problems with LCD plugged into DVI.

Looks like Win7 tries to read the properties of GPU and LCD by changing resolution/frequenzy and fails while plugged into DVI.

I have one of those tiny little Acer desktop PCs with on board video.
I can't add a new video card.
I did however try to install using the DVI port instead of the VGA port.
When I try that method setup crashes and I get a core dump.
I also tried to install the 64 bit version and it chrashed as well.
I also tried installing Vista first and then doing an upgrade with the same results.
Vista works fine.
Also the Vista was installed using a generic install disk not the special acer restore disk.
So as crappy as Vista is supposed to be at least it installs.
I've also installed XP, and Linux on this same machine with no problems.
Looks like this little PC is not going to get Windows 7 installed on it unless Microsoft changes something with there setup application.

I Just looked up the specifications on this box:
It's probably that NVIDIA 6150 that's causing the problem.

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core processor or
Memory: 2 GB of DDR2
Sytstem Chip: nVidia C51PVG + MCP51
I/O Controller Hub: IT8716F
Audio: Integrated RealTek ALC833 high-definition audio
Video: Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150 graphics
Networking: Integrated Marvell 88E116 GigaLan (RJ-45 LAN connector)

Last edited:
The Blogger stated, that Previous Build 6956 installed without any problems - looks like MS has change the setup. It's still a beta

Installs on older generic PC with on board video.

Used a different PC and Windows 7 installed and runs perfect.
The PC i used is an old AMD Athlon 3000+ and has S3 onboard video.
This thing is cheap, I paid $100 for the motherboard and the chip combined over 3 years ago.
It runs faster than my new PC with Vista on it.

I'm impressed.

I think I'm going to put the drive from the Acer into my old PC, install windows 7, put it back in the Acer and then try to fix whatever problems are caused by the hardware changing.
At least it will be installed and I should be able to boot into windows safe mode so I can change the drivers.

Installing Windows 7 on a hard drive in old PC and then putting it in the Acer didn't work so I reinstalled Vista.
The installer looks exactly like the one on WIndows 7 except for the part were it won't finish the installation.

How I got around the windows 7 black screen on install

I dont normally reply to these but I know how frustrating it can be to get these kinds of issues...

Here is how I got around this (I am sure there is a better solution probably one that requires command line flags for setup, but I didnt find any)

If you can (if you are not already in the middle of trying to install windows 7) download the very latest vista drivers (or windows 7 if you can find them) and make sure you extract those drivers (I used Nvidia and ran the exe to get it to dump the install files into a directory) and either burn them to a cd or copy to a usb drive.

Run the install fresh (if you have been messing around trying to get this to work).

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure that when windows setup reboots the computer after the copy file phase of installation that you DO NOT let windows setup boot up, instead boot off the CD again.

When windows setup comes back on you can select English and what not then hit next. You will see the option of Repair Windows to the bottom left of the next screen. Select this. Click next. Then open up a command line window from the options there (last option if I rememeber right).

There are more ways to do this than one, but this is what I thought was easiest... type: notepad and hit enter. Yup good ol' notepad. Then click on file and open. You will get a file dialog (windows 7 flavor), At the bottom click the drop down filtering for txt files and select all files (*.*). Browse to your driver setup files. You will see your usb drive there or the CD Rom or whatever. Right click on the setup file and select Run as Administrator. You may have to lift the setup window a tad to see the next and finish keys for Nvidia's setup. Click through the setup and watch your pain going away as the correct drivers install (if you are using Nvidia you will notice the install says Windows 7 on it.. yay Nvidia!).

You can select to have Nvidia setup reboot the computer, but it wont... setup closes. just close up the windows (thanks notepad) and click the restart button.

Now you can let the windows setup boot up the computer and not the CD. As you would hope, windows now has the correct video drivers and will run through the process normally. What a pain. I know this works (at least for Nvidia) as I just got done doing it and am in Windows 7 now. (I had the same issues mentioned in some of these posts).

Enjoy

Dan

I finally got Windows 7 to install by installing Vista first (clean install) then upgrading to Windows 7. At the screen where it ask if it can get updates I said "no". I only allowed it to get software/security updates not hardware updates. I won't let it install the nVidia driver update from windows update and it's still working. This method took a long time. I think I like Dans solution better as it doesn't involve Vista in the process. I might give this a try this weekend.

Onboard IGP

I had a similar issue. Although, after reading those posts I found out that my problem was that with the motherboard I use somehow Windows might have tried to enable crossfire between my IGP board and my discrete graphic board, rendering the graphic driver useless.
As I was stuck, without being even able to use the safe mode, I removed the discrete PCIex card and forced my Bios to boot only on IGP. Then formatted the partition and did a fresh install. I was then able to complete the set-up...

Setup:
DFI LanParty JR 790GX-M2RS (default Bios)
AMD X2 5400+ 2.8GHz 65W Black Edition
G.Skill 4GB DDR2-1066
Asus EAH3450/DI/256M
Raid 1 on AMD chipset (2x250GB WD RE16 raid drives)
None. Fresh Windows7 install on formatted partition.

My case was not same as #1, but still agreed to the subject line - A black screen during installation.

It happened when the setup is supposed to be completed (Extraction and configuration completed) and a black screen was shown after the startup screen saying starting the Windows for the first time disappeared. The system in fact was not hung, because I could see the mouse pointer moved as I moved the mouse. But it just stopped there without further action. I pressed the reset button of my PC to reboot but it stopped at the same place. At safe mode it did show other screens but there were message saying cannot complete installation in safe mode. The other day I suddenly realised that my display card was connected to both my LCD monitor (via DVI) and my Plasma TV (via VGA). I turned on my TV and ...gosh... The login screen asking me to input a username was on the TV. Windows 7 did not ask at all which display I used as primary display and selected wrongly for me, and during the initial phase of installation clone mode was used (so no problem for me at all until the first startup!) So when you install Windows 7 remember to connect to one display only.

Back