Windows 7 Windows 7 beta 1 build 7000 installation problems with RAID (BSOD 0x80698B68)

dgacorp

Hi,
sorry for my terrible english, i'll try to explain what is going wrong with last build, the official Windows 7 beta 1 build 7000. I have a machine with Asus P5WD2 motherboard, with 2 SATA disks in RAID and 2 IDE HD. I have Windows 7 build 6956 installed in RAID disk C: (and before I installed build 6801 successfully).
Now, like I did with 6956 first installation, I got this new build, partitioned my disk C:, and tried to install it in the new H: partition. I tried the 32 bit and 64 bit version, I downloaded 3 or 4 different leaked and official releases (so I can say is not a problem concerned with corrupted ISO), but the problem is always there: after the FIRST reboot during installation, I got a BSOD with error code 0x80698B68 (that I didn't found in google)!
This happens if I install Windows 7 from my Windows 7 build 6956; in that case the installer sees all my disks and I can select H: dedicated partition. The first reboot occurs at "27% Expanding files...".
Instead if I try to start a bourned DVD with Windows 7, when I must select my disks I see ONLY one partition for my RAID drive (and not two), there is a warning "Windows can be installed in this disk" and if I click on it, a msgbox appears "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu".
Searching a lot on Google, I found similar problems for Vista Installation in machine with RAID drives. So, I worked a lot: I tried ISO image with VirtualBox 2.1.0 and I got Windows 7 installed with no problem; I maked an image of the VirtualBox HD with installed Windows, with a tool "Macrium Reflect", and restore the image into my H: partition. After this, I repaired the BCD and booted the new SO from H: but, after the new logo, my machine restarts without BSOD (also in safe mode!).
So I tried to change BOOT.WIM from W7 7000 image with BOOT.WIM in W7 6956 or 6801, and so my system can restart after the first reboot and continue installation from "27% Expanding Files..." to "100% Expanding Files..". This means that new BOOT.WIM for W7 7000 is corrupted or is missing some necessary driver for RAID machine.
BUT after this point, there is A SECOND reboot, and after this, I got yet the BSOD. Probably some drivers or another .WIM file into INSTALL.WIM is bad, but I cannot see or substitute it (I tried with vLite with no result).

Any other idea or help is appreciated, I know it is only a beta, and I must wait for the official release, but now it is a challenge that I want to win.

Thanks,
Alex

OK, I solved my problem. Just remove RAID, to change to Standard IDE - PATA configuration, and Windows 7 build 7000 installed successfully. There is something strange in RAID driver in this build. Previously worked fine. Boh

Yeah I am having the same issue. I have tried everything that I can think of it but Windows 7 Build 7000 doesn't like my RAID0 which is weird since the previous versions worked fine. I guess I will have to wait till the next beta release. Bugger!

Raid 0

Hi,
sorry for my terrible english, i'll try to explain what is going wrong with last build, the official Windows 7 beta 1 build 7000. I have a machine with Asus P5WD2 motherboard, with 2 SATA disks in RAID and 2 IDE HD. I have Windows 7 build 6956 installed in RAID disk C: (and before I installed build 6801 successfully).
Now, like I did with 6956 first installation, I got this new build, partitioned my disk C:, and tried to install it in the new H: partition. I tried the 32 bit and 64 bit version, I downloaded 3 or 4 different leaked and official releases (so I can say is not a problem concerned with corrupted ISO), but the problem is always there: after the FIRST reboot during installation, I got a BSOD with error code 0x80698B68 (that I didn't found in google)!
This happens if I install Windows 7 from my Windows 7 build 6956; in that case the installer sees all my disks and I can select H: dedicated partition. The first reboot occurs at "27% Expanding files...".
Instead if I try to start a bourned DVD with Windows 7, when I must select my disks I see ONLY one partition for my RAID drive (and not two), there is a warning "Windows can be installed in this disk" and if I click on it, a msgbox appears "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu".
Searching a lot on Google, I found similar problems for Vista Installation in machine with RAID drives. So, I worked a lot: I tried ISO image with VirtualBox 2.1.0 and I got Windows 7 installed with no problem; I maked an image of the VirtualBox HD with installed Windows, with a tool "Macrium Reflect", and restore the image into my H: partition. After this, I repaired the BCD and booted the new SO from H: but, after the new logo, my machine restarts without BSOD (also in safe mode!).
So I tried to change BOOT.WIM from W7 7000 image with BOOT.WIM in W7 6956 or 6801, and so my system can restart after the first reboot and continue installation from "27% Expanding Files..." to "100% Expanding Files..". This means that new BOOT.WIM for W7 7000 is corrupted or is missing some necessary driver for RAID machine.
BUT after this point, there is A SECOND reboot, and after this, I got yet the BSOD. Probably some drivers or another .WIM file into INSTALL.WIM is bad, but I cannot see or substitute it (I tried with vLite with no result).

Any other idea or help is appreciated, I know it is only a beta, and I must wait for the official release, but now it is a challenge that I want to win.

Thanks,
Alex

Did you ever get anything other than reverting to IDE to work on this Alex? I have the same problem with 2 Seagate 1.5tb drives. I am getting the same error you were "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu".

Back