Windows 7 Windows 7 blocking program connections

Super Boss

I have a Lenovo Y450 64bit which I just upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate. I can connect to the internet and go on the web using IE 8 and Google Chrome. However, many of my other programs will not connect to the internet, such as:

Itunes 9.03 (cannot connect to Itunes store - it says to "make sure your network connection is active and try again")
Firefox 3.6 (starts and does not crash, but will not go on any website)
Avira AntiVir 9.0 (It runs but will not accept connect and accept updates)
ThinkVantage (Lenovo's driver updater either shows an error or crashes)

It seems that these problems are connected in that something is preventing the programs from communicating over the internet.

I uninstalled Comodo Personal Firewall, and disabled Windows Firewall, but does does not fix the problem. Again, I can connect to the internet just fine with Chome and IE. Windows Update is also working, and my system time is correct. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Itunes and Firefox, but this does not fix the problem either.

What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks. Below are my system specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JIMMY-PC
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model IdeaPad Y450
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 17CN22WW, 3/20/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
User Name Jimmy-PC\Jimmy
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.84 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.40 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.68 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.99 GB
Page File Space 3.84 GB

I have a Lenovo Y450 64bit which I just upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate. I can connect to the internet and go on the web using IE 8 and Google Chrome. However, many of my other programs will not connect to the internet, such as:

Itunes 9.03 (cannot connect to Itunes store - it says to "make sure your network connection is active and try again")
Firefox 3.6 (starts and does not crash, but will not go on any website)
Avira AntiVir 9.0 (It runs but will not accept connect and accept updates)
ThinkVantage (Lenovo's driver updater either shows an error or crashes)

It seems that these problems are connected in that something is preventing the programs from communicating over the internet.

I uninstalled Comodo Personal Firewall, and disabled Windows Firewall, but does does not fix the problem. Again, I can connect to the internet just fine with Chome and IE. Windows Update is also working, and my system time is correct. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Itunes and Firefox, but this does not fix the problem either.

What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks. Below are my system specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JIMMY-PC
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model IdeaPad Y450
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 17CN22WW, 3/20/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
User Name Jimmy-PC\Jimmy
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.84 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.40 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.68 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.99 GB
Page File Space 3.84 GB

Reinstall Comodo and then carefully make sure that all of the applications that are giving you problems are enabled for internet access in Comodo. Sounds to me like it didn't uninstall properly. I've had that problem twice with other firewalls.

I can't reinstall Comodo either. After I download the installer, I get this message when I run it:

"Failed to initialize the installer. Please check your internet connection and/or Internet Explorer connection settings. Error: 12007. The server name or address could not be resolved"

I think the installer can't connect to the internet, just like the other programs I mentioned in my first post.

I can't reinstall Comodo either. After I download the installer, I get this message when I run it:

"Failed to initialize the installer. Please check your internet connection and/or Internet Explorer connection settings. Error: 12007. The server name or address could not be resolved"

I think the installer can't connect to the internet, just like the other programs I mentioned in my first post.

I disagree.... you can't install it because it isn't completely uninstalled. That just confirms my theory. Have you checked your restore points to see if one is prior to the installation of Comodo?

Last edited:
I don't have a restore point prior to Comodo installation because my Windows 7 was an upgrade from Vista. The Windows 7 compatibility diagnostic didn't mention uninstalling Comodo before I upgraded.
Anyways, I tried deleting all the registry entries tagged "Comodo" to try to completely uninstall the program, but it still doesn't work. And Windows doesnt say that I have more than 1 firewall (Just windows firewall)...
Do you have any other suggestions to get rid of Comodo?

Thanks

I don't have a restore point prior to Comodo installation because my Windows 7 was an upgrade from Vista. The Windows 7 compatibility diagnostic didn't mention uninstalling Comodo before I upgraded.
Anyways, I tried deleting all the registry entries tagged \"Comodo\" to try to completely uninstall the program, but it still doesn't work. And Windows doesnt say that I have more than 1 firewall (Just windows firewall)...

Thanks

Download RevoUninstaller (Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems)

and see if it can uninstall Comodo.

Anyways, I tried deleting all the registry entries tagged \"Comodo\" to try to completely uninstall the program, but it still doesn't work. And Windows doesnt say that I have more than 1 firewall (Just windows firewall)...

Thanks

Just saw a program that is designed to remove antivirus programs. Try AppRemover Free Download and Reviews - Fileforum

Good luck.

Back