Windows 7 Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (also does disc check and tells me to use system restore (

runtaylor

Basically I woke up this morning to my computer sitting at a black screen with the cursor visible
I'm able to move the cursor but do nothing else
I rebooted my computer my manually shutting it off and then it started up as it would normally but did this disc check:
http://i.imgur.com/BKfTU.jpg

from there it moves back to the black screen with the cursor

I again restarted and booted in safe mode this time
I was then able to reach windows and tried to do a system restore to an earlier point
When i did this i was greeted with this error
http://i.imgur.com/ZwV8B.jpg

Finally here is my harddrive just in case http://i.imgur.com/6JXnZ.jpg

I exported my full system info so please let me know if more info is necessary

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name *****
System Manufacturer INTEL_
System Model DH67BL__
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3292 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. BLH6710H.86A.0076.2010.1115.1959, 15/11/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

What type of video connection do you have?

In come cases the black screen is presented if the actual resolution has been moved to another monitor, or is not showing an HDMI type output. You may have gotten a driver update from Microsoft, so you may try resetting your video adapter while in safe mode.

The error messages seem to indicate a driver problem that might be related to corruption on your hard drive, if it is accurate. Of course, there is always a chance of a virus...

I assume you cannot restore using the F8 key option because of the drive problems you mentioned?

Last edited:
Originally I was running 2 monitors 1hdmi and 1 regular monitor input. I unplugged the regular input after this problem started and was running it just on the hdmi.

If I log in in safe mode what should I do to reset the adapter if its just an hdmi plugin?

Also I think the major source of this problem is the hard drive errors because the computer seems to work fine when booted in safe mode albeit the resolution is off...

As you know, Safe Mode only starts basic services and drivers. The resolution is basic, so it can be seen.

Try unplugging the HDMI and use the regular monitor. You might want to reset the resolution to see if it will boot back into Windows, but the drive errors may indicate something else. And in case you did not see my edit, possibly a virus.

I havent been able to get any kind of restore to work because of that error.
When i tried holding f8 during the startup nothing happened though...

Is it possible to do a virus scan during safe mode? I'll try that just in case but I've never had virus troubles with this pc before so it would seem odd that it would crop up so suddenly.

My computer was working fine last night and i put it to sleep then woke up today and it was like this...

You might try this one if you have a way to download and burn. And virus scanners will work from safe mode.

What is Windows Defender Offline?

You can also reload you video driver.

And you might be able to use MSconfig.exe to set you video to basic by using the Boot tab option. If you can, you should be able to boot back into real Windows.

I'll definitely set up a usb to use windows defender and try that

As well could you elaborate on reloading my driver and using msconfig do reset the video?

If I'm able to boot in to real windows what can I do from there to fix this in the long term though?

Thanks for all this help by the way

Safe Mode, use the Winkey+R and open the run command, or search box on start menu. Then type msconfig.exe to open that utility. Look on the boot tab and check the "Use basic video" option, then try booting back into Windows. I can never remember exactly what works and what doesn't in Safe Mode. Other things can be done from here, like only starting certain drivers and services to try troubleshooting problems.

If you open the device manager (devmgmt.msc) you should be able to check your video adapter and update its driver. Maybe rolling that back might help, if you can.

Well I've set up the win defender CD so I'll try that first when I get home this evening and then I'll go through all of the steps you mentioned and report back with what happens.

is there a similar program I could set up to check my disk for errors too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom