Windows 7 Windows 7 build 7000 64 bit: Expanding files Isssue

Lons

I decided to try out the beta and put it on my sons computer since he was needing a format anyway. It is an AMD 64 bit processor with a Seafate 75 gig IDE 2 gigs of ram and an ATI 1950pro. Ran Vista fine.

Anyway, I did a reformat of a the hard drive and all goes well it copys files and then gets to expanding files and hangs at 0% for about 3 mins then tells me that window was unable to install the files and that nothing was installed and I have to reboot to get off that screen.

It has done it 10 times now so I know this isn't user error. Anyone have any idea? The DVD seems to have no issues as it got that far and it was validated and fixed when it was finished burning.

Help please!!

What motherboard is it running?
What speed is the processor?
Did you do a full format or a quick format?

It may be that there is something on the computer interfering with the installation of the system. You didnt specify the exact processor your son's machine has? Also it could be an issue with the iso you have. It may be corrupt when you downloaded it. Post back on the complete specs of your sons system and i will get back to you ASAP. Thanks!!!

Sorry didn't know I needed to be this exact.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ Socket AM2 (89W)
DFI CFX3200 M2/G Infinity AM2 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard
Sapphire X1950 Pro 256MB PCI-Express Video Card w/Dual-DVI & HDTV-Out
LG GSA-H22NK 18X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive
2x Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Viewsonic Q19WB 19in Wide Screen LCD Monitor (Black)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-P912-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
MAXTOR 75GB IDE 7200RPM

Had Vista 32 on it, just to have a different install as my 64 bit on my personal machine. Ultimate came with a 64 and 32 bit disk. Thats all formated off it now though.

If ya need anymore info, lemme know!

It may be that there is something on the computer interfering with the installation of the system. You didnt specify the exact processor your son's machine has? Also it could be an issue with the iso you have. It may be corrupt when you downloaded it. Post back on the complete specs of your sons system and i will get back to you ASAP. Thanks!!!

The ISO burner I used was InfraRecorder and it went off without a hitch. Saved it on my machine no errors and had it set to verify everything when it concluded. Like I said though, not a single issue or even a glitch until it gets to expanding files though.

The DVD I burned it on was a Maxell DVD-R 8x\4.7GB\2hr

Last edited:
Well, first thing I can suggest to try is going DVI to VGA, apparently Windows 7 has issues installing with DVI connections.
Other than that, I can't see anything else of a hardware issue.
It may however be a BIOS setting, but we can look into that later.

Well, first thing I can suggest to try is going DVI to VGA, apparently Windows 7 has issues installing with DVI connections.
Other than that, I can't see anything else of a hardware issue.
It may however be a BIOS setting, but we can look into that later.

It is a VGA, wasn't gonna put a DVI on sons computer. Cables way to much and he doesn't need that to play WoW or do his homework. So the cable is VGA going to the computer VGA input with the VGA adater that came with the video card on the other end.

Update:

I downloaded the 32 bit version and burned the ISO, and it installed perfectly. He is now updated and running well. I cannot believe how sleek it is and fast even on 2 gigs. The only driver it didn't have was the USB wireless hub, but I just used the Vista ones and it worked like a charm. Everything was uptodate and even the HP Printer that woudln't install the software that HP wanted me to install because their software would not recognise the OS, worked striaght out of the box with a plug in of the usb cable.

Remarkable what 3 years of negative pub for Vista can do for the next release!! Mac better find something else to compare to, cause there is no more lag of anything. And this on a 2 year old system I built for 500 bucks.

Last edited:
Back