Windows 7 Windows 7 Build 7000 Install Fails

harterpc

I've tried mounting the ISO, DVD install, and VMware. Virtual Machine install works (just runs like crap in a box). The other two methods fail at last reboot. I've tried installing to 2nd partition (HDD 0) and second drive (HDD 1) with no joy.

I'm running Vista SP2 on an Intel Dual-Core box without issues of any kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.

You could try waiting for the public Beta and then get that and see if you have any better luck.. ;) It sounds like you got a corrupted ISO... or it became corrupted at some point during the install.. There are a few of them floating around..;) The public Beta is due out anytime now so I'd just wait for that... save you the trouble of maybe getting another bad copy.... :)

Running any OS in a virtual machine, though useful in some instances for sure, is complete garbage in my opinion as far as performance goes. They are good for seeing if your copy works right but other then that I wouldn't use one as a permenant solution.. but that's just me.. :)

But yeah, if your running Vista with no issues at all then waiting for the public Beta would be the best solution...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried mounting the ISO, DVD install, and VMware. Virtual Machine install works (just runs like crap in a box). The other two methods fail at last reboot. I've tried installing to 2nd partition (HDD 0) and second drive (HDD 1) with no joy.

I'm running Vista SP2 on an Intel Dual-Core box without issues of any kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any error codes?

I am having the same issue - for weeks now. On every website or forum it seems that everyone is hung up on corrupt ISO's when it's not that at all. I've tried to install 6956, 7000 (the one that was leaked), the official 7000 (tonight), and it's the same thing every time. I tried it on a separate partition, I tried it as an upgrade, neither worked. I mounted the ISO virtually, I burnt it to a DVD, I checksummed, I didn't checksum. The only way it installs is on VMWare or VirtualBox, which leads me to believe it's a peripherals/hardware issue.

I unplugged my external hard drive, but I have a hard time thinking it's my simple Logitech mouse that's causing it.

Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums.

You could try waiting for the public Beta and then get that and see if you have any better luck.. ;) It sounds like you got a corrupted ISO... or it became corrupted at some point during the install.. There are a few of them floating around..;) The public Beta is due out anytime now so I'd just wait for that... save you the trouble of maybe getting another bad copy.... :)

Running any OS in a virtual machine, though useful in some instances for sure, is complete garbage in my opinion as far as performance goes. They are good for seeing if your copy works right but other then that I wouldn't use one as a permenant solution.. but that's just me.. :)

But yeah, if your running Vista with no issues at all then waiting for the public Beta would be the best solution...

I disagree. With VMWare Tools or VirtualBox's additional package installed (forget the name they use) you can get nearly the same performance in many cases - Linux or Windows. In fact, a few people I know have told me that XP feels faster when run as a guest OS via VirtualBox in Linux. Now Windows 7 isn't all that great inside VirtualBox yet but give it time and it'll hopefully be better than Vista is. Although Vista isn't bad virtually if you have over 4GB of RAM.

I don't know how Microsoft's virtualization product is, but maybe I'll check that out sometime.

Last edited:
I burnt it to a DVD...

SLOW burning... at x1 or max x2, otherwise the dvd will malfunction.
Or...
Do it like this...

Mount Windows 7 .iso in deamon tools or similar.
Make a new folder like C:\W7, or something you like.

Open command line window in your dvd rom drive.
In the command line, for copy all files, launch first:
xcopy /E /T *.* c:\W7
and after:
xcopy /E /H *.* c:\W7

Open a second command line window in folder C:\W7

for last launch the command:
ATTRIB -R C:W7\*.* /S

Now, close command line panels... and run setup.exe form c:\W7\sources

SLOW burning... at x1 or max x2, otherwise the dvd will malfunction.
Or...
Do it like this...

Mount Windows 7 .iso in deamon tools or similar.
Make a new folder like C:\W7, or something you like.

Open command line window in your dvd rom drive.
In the command line, for copy all files, launch first:
xcopy /E /T *.* c:\W7
and after:
xcopy /E /H *.* c:\W7

Open a second command line window in folder C:\W7

for last launch the command:
ATTRIB -R C:W7\*.* /S

Now, close command line panels... and run setup.exe form c:\W7\sources

But I also installed it from a virtually mounted ISO too, with no DVD media at all, and the same error.

It reboots in an endless cycle - the moment it reboots is about 1 or 2 seconds after the "Windows is preparing your computer for first use" screen appears. Then the computer powers down, my monitor goes "no signal', and then back to BIOS. When I did it from a DVD it did the same thing, only the DVD drive or perhaps the hard drive made a very unusual power down noise and seemed to start up about 5 seconds after the BIOS screen (it was just something that sounded out of sequence.)

I switched my monitor to VGA and got rid of all USB peripherals, too.

But I also installed it from a virtually mounted ISO too, with no DVD media at all, and the same error.
Try not to install from dvd or mounted .iso in a virtual drive, insead try do it like me and xcopy all files to the harddrive and run it from there.

Xcopy like I posted and all files will copy in a correct way, and run the setup file from "sources".
Virtual drive is only so you don't have to burn a cd/dvd.

Try not to install from dvd or mounted .iso in a virtual drive, insead try do it like me and xcopy all files to the harddrive and run it from there.

Xcopy like I posted and all files will copy in a correct way, and run the setup file from "sources".
Virtual drive is only so you don't have to burn a cd/dvd.

I reread what you wrote and I'm getting confused around the part where you say run the command prompt from in my dvd rom drive.

as far as i know, all you can do is do setup.exe and allow it to proceed as normal, the only time the command prompt is an option is after it fails to load after installing and you get the safe mode with command prompt option.

(as an aside, I successfully installed Build 6956 again with zero problems. It installed in about a half an hour, was very fast. Do you know if I can upgrade to 7000 fro 6956 directly, or is it like a whole new thing?)

Try removing the default virtual SCSI hdd and add an IDE hdd, it could be having difficulty finding the disk to install on during setup

Maby it's me that's having a problem to explain in a easy way to understand, because english is not my native language...
What i'm trying to say is, copy all files from a virtual disk or from a burned disk to a folder on your harddrive.
When tha's done, run setup.exe from C:\whateverfolder\sources...
In that case, you don't have to worry about W7 to find a dvd or cd drive because you do run the setup file directley from the harddrive.
For me, that was the only way to install W7 beta 1 as upgrade to 6801.
If I run from cd drive I got one error code that said something like, in a very easy explanation, "Your files mismatch or are broken, try download a new .iso".
Doing an upgrade was a stupid thing to do, because almost everything had to be reinstalled again, but who knows that.... and it took about 2,5 hours to do that upgrade... maby it's different in 6956..

A clean fresh install, from the harddrive took about 20 minutes, with zero problems. The only problems I had were to trick W7 to accept modded drivers for a sb-live soundcard that doesn't have drivers for vista eather...
But... don't see the problem... see the possibility instead

thank you. i got the new iso from the ms public beta site and install fails at the last, exactly as before. i'm leaning toward hardware incompatibilities since i can install under vmware. any more ideas?

I knew it wasn't an ISO-related issue all along, I just didn't see any signs pointing to that, as I checksummed every time and it seemed rather unlikely that it would fail right at the very end before it checks the video.

From 6956, I re-installed 7000 using no USB except for my keyboard and switched to VGA over HDMI. It installed successfully!

I knew it wasn't an ISO-related issue all along, I just didn't see any signs pointing to that, as I checksummed every time and it seemed rather unlikely that it would fail right at the very end before it checks the video.

From 6956, I re-installed 7000 using no USB except for my keyboard and switched to VGA over HDMI. It installed successfully!

so...someone who is running into the same problems, yet is already on a VGA display should simply remove unnecessary USB hookups?

It's worth a try - I didn't isolate the different steps I took to fix my particular situation, i.e. only did one thing at a time and then let the install fail, so it could have been any of the things I had done to try and solve it. I was just offering my particular situation.

VGA...whodathunkit

me too. FINALLY! switched my lcd to vga and ditched my usb peripherals. installed windows 7, replaced my usb stuff. it's all good. Thank You for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom