Windows 7 Windows 7 Explorer.exe random crash (64bit)

SeanB

Hey Everyone.

New to the forums here! :)

I was hoping I could get some help. For the past couple of days, explorer.exe randomly crashes. Right now its fine, but really, it could crash any moment. I have not been able to pinpoint what triggers it, earlier today I thought I had it. It would crash every time Windows Update would appear in the task manager (although curiously enough, not when I manually launched Windows Update from IE 8). I simply set Windows Update to "never check online" or something similar, basically the manual only check mode. Not a pretty fix, but I thought that was it.

But it happened again. So right now, I will admit...I am really stuck. It seems that almost anything can set it off.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Sean.

Here is the Event Viewer entry for the Explorer.exe crash:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16450, time stamp: 0x4aebab8d
Faulting module name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16450, time stamp: 0x4aebab8d
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x000000000002cc2e
Faulting process id: 0xa1c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb546f06d4f25f
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Report Id: 44d4901f-c062-11df-9d96-00241d1f0d2d

The following entry appears right before the Explorer.exe error entry:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: explorer.exe
P2: 6.1.7600.16450
P3: 4aebab8d
P4: explorer.exe
P5: 6.1.7600.16450
P6: 4aebab8d
P7: c000041d
P8: 000000000002cc2e
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Sean\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_explorer.exe_8198a7791fe1e1d422d3c65e40fe856b91569b79_177bc93e

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 3415837a-c062-11df-9d96-00241d1f0d2d
Report Status: 0

Well, I ran "SFC /scannow" hoping beyond hope that it would find and correct something.........and, it did!

I'm not an expert in reading the CBC.log file that is written onto from the scan, however in the entry it did note (from what I could gather), amongst other things, that the following were repaired:

wininit.exe
explorer.exe

Now a reboot is required to make the repairs effective. I hope that the reboot and repair will be smooth and nothing unexpected happens. I hope.

In my case, 64-bit explorer.exe crashes even when not running. Sometimes happens after Firefox fails to respond. After explorer.exe is "shut down," the taskbar is cleared and then restored, with Desktom Gadget Gallery added.

I ran SFC a couple of times but it closes without comment when it reaches 100%. No log file is generated.

I've run four different virus scans.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I am having this same issue "Explorer not responding".

On Googling, this seems to be a very pervasive problem with many attempts at solutions (all seem to boil down to running ONLY Microsoft shells/drivers if possible).

Well, because I did a new build, I did just that - removed all non-MS shell references, stopped all non-MS services, etc.

Some things I cannot remove like my video drivers, but I installed older ones (presumably stable), then later installed the latest ones (they are WHQL btw...) on seeing the Explorer issue did not go away.

This is CLEARLY a Microsoft issue. It can't be dodged with dead-end "solutions" anymore that try to blame 3rd-party hardware/software.

Does anyone know where in the PC media (the big-name magazines/columns) this is at least brought-up as a problem? Maybe if some big name sites shone a spotlight on it, Microsoft would actually get around to addressing it (from at least Vista days too....)

I had a similar problem I think it was a combination of Windows Defender and Adobe Flash. Mine frequently occurred after Windows Update, Defender updates often. I disabled Defender and deleted Flash and reinstalled and it seemed to fix it.
Joe

Back